What Is It About Britney?

Curious_1110

11 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

Sorry to hear about your being bullied but this was exactly the type of response I was looking for.

To me Britney's music is fun mindless pop - and I recognize her as a legend but I don't know anyone personally that could explain how she or her music has impacted them. I was the same way about Madonna until about 5-6 years ago when one of my more openly gay friends explained in great detail all that Madonna has done for the gay community and what that meant for him feeling more comfortable being himself ect. 

So having been there from pretty much the beginning I assume you kind of feel like you grew up with Britney in a sense? That probably makes you feel even more connected to her I guess..

Absolutely. I could relate, but I was still relatively young in comparison. She's a decade older than me. She has fans on here that literally grew up with her while being the same age as her like @Steel Magnolia I believe once said. They can probably relate even more, especially if they're female.

Madonna has definitely cemented her influence on the gay community as well, I'm glad you brought that up. I read that in every Like a Prayer jewel case, there was a pamphlet with information about HIV/AIDS to educate the public and help end the stigma.

That's why sometimes it upsets me when Britney looks back on her early career and labels moments such as the snake, "stupid". She might see it as something tacky now but to a fan like me, that will always signify the confidence she instilled in all of us. Like Gaga said at her 2011 VMA Vanguard speech, "Britney taught me how to be fearless". I sometimes think she has no idea how much she means to all of us or she does know and just blocks it out because it's so overwhelming to her. I mean, she broke down and cried once at an ITZ CD signing when a fan gave her a poem, and that was pre breakdown.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

From a female perspective how did her music help with your confidence? Any song in particular that sticks out?

Let Me Be, from the Britney album, as well as Cinderella and I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman, and even Overprotected. And maybe, even in part, Brave New Girl, the song everyone here is so quick to rag and hate on. It may not fit the Britney standard they like, but it was Britney writing about where she currently was in her life, and how she was trying to stand on her own two feet and figure out just who she was.

As for helping my confidence, the songs I mentioned just sort of solidified the idea that I didn't need anyone else to be happy, and that it was okay if it took me a bit to figure out who I was.

2 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

It would have worked out better for her if she was a boy. JT had no competition, Ryan Gosling wasn't a singer. What sucked for her is that she couldn't outdance Britney and she couldn't outsing Christina. Eventually, Britney gained the upper hand over both of them and that's why Christina's team pushed her to dance so she could one up Britney. Unfortunately, she couldn't keep up and her live singing was horrible after busting a move. :moorangu:

1:25 and onward, it's like she's purposely trying everything and the kitchen sink

To be fair Christina was just getting over being sick. I remember watching the countdown to the vmas and she was talking about having laryngitis I think 

20 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Absolutely. I could relate, but I was still relatively young in comparison. She's a decade older than me. She has fans on here that literally grew up with her while being the same age as her like @Steel Magnolia I believe once said. They can probably relate even more, especially if they're female.

Madonna has definitely cemented her influence on the gay community as well, I'm glad you brought that up. I read that in every Like a Prayer jewel case, there was a pamphlet with information about HIV/AIDS to educate the public and help end the stigma.

That's why sometimes it upsets me when Britney looks back on her early career and labels moments such as the snake, "stupid". She might see it as something tacky now but to a fan like me, that will always signify the confidence she instilled in all of us. Like Gaga said at her 2011 VMA Vanguard speech, "Britney taught me how to be fearless". I sometimes think she has no idea how much she means to all of us or she does know and just blocks it out because it's so overwhelming to her. I mean, she broke down and cried once at an ITZ CD signing when a fan gave her a poem, and that was pre breakdown.

I would imagine that for her maybe those performances are tied to other less than pleasant memories and that may be a part of her life she no longer wants to revisit. 

Seeing that video after almost a straight year of reading less than great comments/pictures from her meet and greets at her Vegas show is kind of shocking to be honest. I never commented back then but I always wondered why people would pay that much for a M&G but seeing that her and her fans once had that type of connection, I get it now. 

17 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

Let Me Be, from the Britney album, as well as Cinderella and I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman, and even Overprotected. And maybe, even in part, Brave New Girl, the song everyone here is so quick to rag and hate on. It may not fit the Britney standard they like, but it was Britney writing about where she currently was in her life, and how she was trying to stand on her own two feet and figure out just who she was.

As for helping my confidence, the songs I mentioned just sort of solidified the idea that I didn't need anyone else to be happy, and that it was okay if it took me a bit to figure out who I was.

This reply really took me by surprise... I guess because the media and most of her fans push the image of Britney being hyper ****** I was expecting your response to be more along those lines of empowering female sexuality ect. But this was really nice to have someone give a different perspective on her music. 

Gurl, too many questions at once :nyheadache: Ok, here I go:

I knew about her after watching the Crazy MV, I was around 7 or 8 I guess and as everyone else in here MTV was the main (if not the only) way to know about her. After she came out, many girls started to come out Jessica, Xtina, Mandy, but Britney stood out to me because she did dance her *** off back in the day. Her performances were slayage after slayage, every single time. Her fierceness made her be THE ONE out of the rest, the other girls used to stand on stage and stay there being "pretty" unlike Britney whose every freaking move was perfectly rehearsed and effortlessly executed. She made it look easy but ofc it wasn't. 

She represents a lot of things to me because it's crazy that I started loving her at such young age so she has basically been part of my entire life up to now. I have gone through a lot of things in life, good moments, bad moments, horrible situations and her music has always been there. She has been my soundtrack, I have a Britney song for every situation of my life. She opened to me a huge variety of music, not only hers but other genres and styles because I didn't know a **** of English living in Mexico. 

She may not have the deepest lyrics but her songs have helped me to  go through many things in life and let my emotions out through her songs. I could quote her: "when I start dancing it all goes away, sometimes you dont need to use words to go through what you need to go through, it's an emotion you need to feel when you dance and you need to touch and the only way to touch it is when you move in a cetain way". This is what her music has impacted on me like. 

I keep on being a fan because she's been part of me for so long that it would be hard for me to say bye from one day to the next. She pisses me off sometimes but I guess I will never stop being a fan. 

I feel like a could never end this answer but that's pretty much what it is to me. :brityes:

I've been a fan for as long as I can remember, the heavily choreographed music videos drew me in for sure. Maybe something about her charisma. My little gay boy self listened to a lot of pop stars but something about Britney stuck out front the rest. It's almost like Britney chose me :moorangu:

2 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

Seeing that video after almost a straight year of reading less than great comments/pictures from her meet and greets at her Vegas show is kind of shocking to be honest. I never commented back then but I always wondered why people would pay that much for a M&G but seeing that her and her fans once had that type of connection, I get it now. 

She used to be in more contact with us, to be fair. Like her website would have entries that she'd written, and she'd update us on what she was doing and what was going on. Some were even pretty personal; I'm not just talking about 2007's little website updates, either. That's kind of why I was sad the app Larry discussed in 2016 never took off: at the same time, given how things seem to be run now, I doubt it would be the same.

30 minutes ago, Curious_1110 said:

This reply really took me by surprise... I guess because the media and most of her fans push the image of Britney being hyper ****** I was expecting your response to be more along those lines of empowering female sexuality ect. But this was really nice to have someone give a different perspective on her music. 

Nope; I've always been a fan of more badassed women, empowering type of songs, where they sing about not needing anyone to be who they are. I mean, yes, her more ****** songs are empowering in discovering and understanding one's sexuality, absolutely, but my focus has always been more about who people really are underneath it all, if that makes sense. So thank you!

I started out having a big crush on Britney - as a pre-teen, I always find her very beautiful and ****. I actually had a very religious upbringing - I studied in a Christian school and was exposed to gospel songs (I remember non-gospel songs were banned from our school back then because listening to them is a "sin" :wyd:.) My only access to Britney and the pop world were radio and music channels, and man was she everywhere. During her breakout and pre-breakdown years she was the biggest and hottest thing here, you'd literally hear and see her everywhere, her songs and videos were always #1 such that when Britney releases something competition is useless (that's why when I discovered Billboard, I was truly surprised that her singles performed poorly in the US). Partly, that caused me to like her more than the other blonde girls, but also because in terms of performing, she had this thing that she would truly own the stage and capture your attention, you'd feel her presence even if you're just watching her from the television. She had a very sweet personality that's too good to be true, but something that I also liked about her too.

It was during the Circus era that I finally discovered (or accepted ;)) that I'm gay. So my big crush on her transformed into a devotion. Honestly, she never had songs that are directly dedicated to LGBT (she's no Lady Gaga). But it's her art of seduction (in videos and performances) that has a big impact on me as a gay man. I don't see any other pop stars do it as good as (pre-breakdown) Britney. She keeps on releasing ****** songs after her breakdown and to a certain extent her videos are still strong (except FF era), but obviously her performing skills have deteriorated.

I'll keep stanning for her, regardless. It's difficult to squash away the amount of emotions (and money lol) I have invested on her. :queenriri:

Im a young fan become one in 2014 im only 17 anyway i first discovered britney in 2010 when i heard bomt for the first time and boy was i was hooked to that song and video and tryed to dance along bomt really is a timeless song.   Then a few years  lets say 2013ish i saw her vma 2000 performca on youtube and was absotuley astonished her stage presence was fire her look was fire and her moves were fire she seemed unstoppable. I watched the video.for.hours tying to learn the coregraphy (rich i now know lol) then in 2013 with the release of work ***** i have had start taking a serious interest in her and by 2014 i was watching pom vids on youtube and listening to all her albums on repeat. Britney makes me feel like i can be anything she is an american dream she gives me hope when i have had none she motivates me me to be bad *** and to always dream big and never give up on my dreams i love britney 

First of all, she was THE first blonde TRL girl doing dance pop music, showing her belly. The others copied her, so image wise, she set the trend.

Honestly her song baby one more time got me hooked even before i saw the video, once I saw her and dancing, I was memorized by her beauty and talent.

I was young when she came out but she was the one person guys could like without being judged in a negative way (because you were gay if you liked boybands), cuz she was hot, so to know her music and videos was actually cool. Girls wanted to look like her, and straight guys wanted to be with her. Gays, well she was our beard who we secretly wanted to be just like. 

Lastly she was sooo funny in interviews, and sweet. You could not help but like her for the person she was, her singing voice, dancing, and beauty were just extras. She treated putting on a show the same way MJ and Madonna saw it, and I respected her work ethic.  Everyone knew she would be iconic from just Baby One More Time Alone. She was born to make us happy

15 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I was introduced to her after the Oops video came out. I saw that and Baby One More Time after and begged my mom to buy me her CD. She bought me both.

After that, the Britney era came which solidified her as that blonde *** symbol and I was hooked. I had never seen someone so confident and glamorous before. She was on another level, I would watch her dance and be mesmerized. I actually tried to teach myself the Pepsi choreography in front of the TV.

I think as a gay icon she represents what we all wanted to be growing up. We all wanted to be ****, we all wanted to be confident, we all wanted to be in control.

Her music has had an effect on me personally because each album was released during pivotal moments in my life that I can look back on. Baby-Britney for my childhood, Zone-Blackout my preteens, Circus-BJ my adolescence and Glory represents my college years now.

I was bullied during middle school and I remember Blackout being an escape mechanism for me because I was too scared to tell my parents or anyone else. It was like my own little world. So yeah, that album really helped me turn my mood around and made me happy. So it's always gonna be special to me. Looking back on it now, it's even more special knowing that Britney herself was going through her own troubles and was able to overcome them.

How old are you? You took the words right out of my mouth even being bullied in middle school. :moorangu:

Nice thread sis.

For me: Stage presence, Dancing skills, unique voice, photogenic face with angelic feautures, down to earth, vivid sweet personality, sexiness, iconic songs and music videos, unintentional controversy, passion, hard work and rare star quality.She managed just in 4 years to be one of the biggest pop stars ever existed and had the biggest influence and impact on pop music and pop culture next to Madonna.
She is a really rare and unique case.Even her fall was iconic.

I fell in love with her when I was a child especially during the iconic ITZ era.She was always a beauty icon for me.I think she's the main reason I am blonde and toned.

I'm 19 and witnessed a Britney song on TV for the first time when I was 9. It was Gimme More. That's the earliest I can remember but I was of course exposed to more of her songs when I was little hence why I recognized many of the melodies when I played them for the first time on Youtube.

I never suffered identity issues and always accepted that I was gay ever since I became conscious of it. I never had a problem with it and didn't go through the (common) denial phase. That surely contributed to me not paying attention to popstars like Lady Gaga and Madonna while growing up as a teen. I discovered the 98-2004 Britney through internet and Youtube and her videos like Slave 4 U and Toxic made me feel very ******** empowered and it's because of them that I started paying attention to my body and my own ****** appeal. I mean I started trying to strip and do pole dancing because of the Gimme More video.  :NYcackle:I love how fierce and confident she looked in her performances (ie:VMA 2001). I felt very attracted by her gorgeous face, beautiful smile and sexiness. Her charisma and bubbly personality also play a big role for me. I would have never liked her as much if she didn't have so much charisma, both on stage and in her interviews/real life. She has the charisma I wish I had. And of course I would have never been so invested in her if she was talentless. She was a talented and graceful performer and I enjoyed watching her old live performances on Youtube a lot. Her choreography and stage presence were amazing. I love how she used to gaze into the camera and enjoy herself during her shows.

tumblr_m1t4wfjT6I1r811voo1_500.gif

So in short, it's a mix of looks, sexiness, charisma, bubbly personality, performing talent and good music that made Britney stand out for me. I didn't see that complete package in any other popstar. Of course, a lot of what I mentioned is gone now due to Britney's lack of interest in her career and laziness but I'm still attached to her nonetheless. And it's quite frustrating at times. :rihit:

Archived