Did you know something about the Slumber Party video coat ??

Mannequin*

Santiago Artemis: The Argentine Designer Dressing Britney Spears

Did you wake up feeling like you wanted to break your curfew? Like you wanted to write your new name, “Mrs. Leo DiCaprio, Mrs. Leo DiCaprio, Mrs. Leo DiCaprio,” in jelly pens all over your 3-ring binder? Did you feel a sudden yearning to belly dance with a serpent? That’s because your soul just intrinsically sensed that a new Britney Spears video had dropped. The queen of frappucinos, pop music and reinventions just released her music video for “Slumber Party” to much fanfare, featuring her usually sticky and sweet vocals, gyrating lithe limbs and this time… Argentine fashion.

While Ms. Spears has not yet donned plataformas or chopped her fringe up to her hairline, she’s one step closer to being spotted in Maria Cher demanding to know how they got their store to smell that way (anonymous tips can be emailed to The Bubble).

In the video Spears is seen in the opening footage strutting towards a mansion draped in coat of royal scarlet and violet shades. It is by none other than the wild child and ingénue of the Argentine fashion world Santiago Artemis.

http://www.santiagoartemis.com.ar/

Che boluda.

Artemis, born in Ushuaia, is a mere 25 years old and burst onto the fashion scene as a teenager with his sleek designs, elegant cuts, and flair for the decadent.  He is no stranger to fame, having dressed the likes of Katy Perry amongst other members of the gliterrati.

The man behind the designs, the twitter feed, and the pop princess spoke with me about his collection, and of course, Britney Jean Spears.

I know you are no stranger to dressing celebrities, but how did you find out that you would be dressing the queen herself?

I actually didn’t, because when I ship the designs overseas, stylists and producers pick up stuff and it’s impossible to determine if they’re using it at all. I knew that one of the stylist team of hers went to the shop in Palm Beach or LA to pick up stuff, but I didn’t think about it that much, until my boyfriend woke me up and said: “Hey! She’s wearing your coat in her latest video!” It was a surreal moment.

Talk to me about your creative process this season. What was the inspiration for the collection the coat was included in? 

Unlike my latest collection, titled “Valley of the Dolls,” inspired by the 1966 best seller by Jacqueline Susann… this collection was more aggressive and more deconstructive. I was having personal struggles with my emotions and my depression, and I needed to make something that was new for me, which was taking elements that didn’t make any sense at all: like mixing winter bomber jackets with evening gowns, showcasing luxury dresses and then something completely different like street style overalls. So it was a clash of different ideas that all together made something really appealing.

Do you see a big future for Argentine fashion designers—who continue to gain prominence—in Hollywood?

The ones who are making it in Hollywood, I see a big future for them. I don’t see a lot of future for designers here. Especially because the style of creative designers in Argentina is very minimal, very net. The Hollywood idea is not very appreciated over here, I could say I’m the only one striving for red carpets and champagne.

And finally—I have to ask—when Britney drops your coat to the ground in the music video did your heart scream out “But this is an Alaia!” …because mine did.  

I totally feel you! I felt the same way, I was having a Cher moment…. like a totally important designer!

I love him!!!! he is amazing :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived