Justin Tranter Says Britney Had Some "Really Cool F—ked-Up Ideas For Songs"

Jordan Miller

• Leader
britney-songwriting-justin-tranter.jpg

Take a peek inside the mind of the princess of pop.

Britney Spears recently said she doesn't get the credit she deserves for singing live. Ditto for her songwriting.

Justin Tranter, who collaborated with Britney on most of her ninth studio album, Glory, including "Invitation," "Do You Wanna Come Over?," "Slumber Party" and "Just Like Me," says his time with Britney in the studio was a career highlight.

Tranter spilt the tea to Courtney Love in their interview together for OUT

Here's a copy + paste excerpt from the interview:
CL: Of all the pop stars you’ve written with, who has surprised you the most?

JT: There are my idols that I’ve gotten to work with, like you and Gwen Stefani and Glen Ballard. Those moments were like, everything you hoped would happen actually happened. You were in my house chain-smoking on my busted couch, writing the coolest lyrics I’d ever heard in 10 seconds. That lives up. Or the second Gwen steps up to the microphone, it’s that iconic voice only she has. But Britney [Spears] really surprised me. Britney had some really cool ******-up ideas for songs. For one of the songs that ended up on [Glory], “Just Like Me,” she was like, 'What if we write a song where I’m so excited to go and meet with my man and I walk in and he’s hooking up with a girl who looks just like me?' I was like, 'OK, Britney Spears. I’ll write that song with you. Let’s ******* do this.'

CL: [Laughs] That’s so cool.

JT: Her voice is so iconic, I already knew that was going to happen, but no one ever talks about Britney coming in with crazy lyrical concepts for a song.

In May of last year, Tranter had nothing but praise about Britney's songwriting skills.

"Nobody ever talks about Britney as a writer and she's f**king great, like insane. Her concepts were bold and smart and very left of centre, in a good way," he said. "Melodically, she has melodies for days. How come no one mentions that this girl can write the **** out of a song?"

At the time, Tranter said Britney requested to work with him and Julia Michaels after recording their demos. "We got to work with her a bunch of times. She's the sweetest. A couple [of songs] we wrote on our own and then she wanted to write with us. She's an amazing writer."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CL: It is crazy. [Laughs] Of all the pop stars you’ve written with, who has surprised you the most?

JT: There are my idols that I’ve gotten to work with, like you and Gwen Stefani and Glen Ballard. Those moments were like, everything you hoped would happen actually happened. You were in my house chain-smoking on my busted couch, writing the coolest lyrics I’d ever heard in 10 seconds. That lives up. Or the second Gwen steps up to the microphone, it’s that iconic voice only she has. But Britney [Spears] really surprised me. Britney had some really cool ******-up ideas for songs. For one of the songs that ended up on [Glory],  “Just Like Me,” she was like, “What if we write a song where I’m so excited to go and meet with my man and I walk in and he’s hooking up with a girl who looks just like me?” I was like, “OK, Britney Spears. I’ll write that song with you. Let’s ******* do this.”

CL: [Laughs] That’s so cool.

JT: Her voice is so iconic, I already knew that was going to happen, but no one ever talks about Britney coming in with crazy lyrical concepts for a song.

https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/2017/7/07/hitmaker-justin-tranter-courtney-love-bringing-outsider-perspectives-mainstream-radio?utm_source=OUTFB&utm_medium=ORG

Q-U-E-E-N :staysalty:

9 minutes ago, asitalian12587 said:

every writer/producer that works with her always praises her and says shes so involved and creative. i wish she'd get more credit throughout the GP and industry.

SHe would if she showed some of that talent off. Sang a song live acoustic and then talked about the influences behind it.

The public don't know JLM even exists, has Britney ever even mentioned it?

5 minutes ago, Hypnotherapy said:

SHe would if she showed some of that talent off. Sang a song live acoustic and then talked about the influences behind it.

The public don't know JLM even exists, has Britney ever even mentioned it?

I think she mentioned it on a radio interview :idkney:

"Just Like Me" has always been one of my favorite tracks on Glory, it's very different for her stylistically and she just sounds very present on it, far beyond how she emotionally connects with many other tracks. Also, the vocals are very strong and the closest to her natural register since Oops, probably. I'd love for her to go further in this kind of direction, but darker and more mature. :verycool:

15 minutes ago, On the Scene said:

I wish Just Like Me had a less happy, pop-sounding production. Either all acoustic with a stronger guitar riff in the chorus, or more darker pop.

The verse lyrics are interesting, and then the chorus just has soft instrumental that's kinda underwhelming. 

This. I was so hype when they said her album was gonna b like the weeknd bc I love that dark moody vibe. I still **** w Glory heavy tho!! I just need a dark album from Britters at some point!

7 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

How is this a ****** up idea? :tiffcackle:

It's really frustrating how involved she is BTS and when they ask her about **** on TV where it counts and the GP is watching she's like:

"Idk i think its just a song lolz" :idkney:

Like, let's be more aware please and stop making everyone think you're a talentless bimbo. :cooltshirt:

16 minutes ago, mauureee said:

Queen of artistry :slayney:

But then the GP gets her explainig her songs like "this song is so cool and it's about someone just like me"

or "this songs is fun because it's about a slumber party with your girl friends" :wyd:

or the best of them all

gif 1k mine 7k interview 5k 2k britney spears 10k 4k 9k 6k 3k 8k

tumblr_n767xvLBAg1r9nlfxo1_250.gif

:tiffcackle:

I love that they speak about her this way but ur sooo true. Remember carpool also when he asked about Oops! and she replied "I really dont know. I think it's just a song" Given its not written by her but still, giiiirrrl! Why do u do this to us!:cutesybrit:

Archived