This is a serious question: Why isnt me against the music considered a Classic in pop music?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely an iconic single. Her clothes, the chemistry between Britney and Madonna, the dancing. It was all flawless. And I remember obsessing over the Mazda Rx-8 as a kid because of that video :unbelievableney:

But it was definitely overshadowed by Toxic shortly afterwards... Also, it seemed a bit like a token song. It had no clear direction as to why it existed, it was just made to show that Britney and Madonna were CAPABLE of working together. Still a bop tho. Plus Justin happened shortly before, then Every Time happened just after toxic, then OHT cancellations, knee injury, Kevin, babies, rumoured *****... I guess people didn't have time to stop and listen to MATM much over those few years. 

And I'm guessing she became unpopular and uncool pretty quickly in '04/'05 :girlwhat:

I love this song so much actually :gloria:  but I agree that Madonna should play a bigger part here, the song would be fine without her like SP without Tinashe 

it would have made an impact if Madonna and Britney performed MATM together :ehum:   missed opportunity :/

I expected more when I heard she did a song with Madonna, maybe too much. Either way, it's just okay for me. Like the remixes way more. 

The video and 2003 & 2004 performances of it we're amazing though.

Why are people saying it was overshadowed by Toxic when Toxic came out after? I think Me Against the Music performed just okay especially considering it was Britney Spear's first single for a new album (still her prime) right the vma kiss performance and it having Madonna on it. 

At the time, I remember thinking..okay, they are overdoing it with Madonna. No offense to her, but it was too much after the iconic MTV performance.

Also, rap and alt rock had taken over so any pop song had to have been toxic level to be a hit.

I don't know the "technical" aspect of why it wasn't successful. I lived in a different country back then and I wasn't invested in US charts but still to this day, it surprises me hearing that it wasn't successful here! MATM is one of my favorite songs of that album and her entire discography.

2 hours ago, Good4Ya said:

I think poeple didn't like the kiss then why would they like a song they record together plus a video where they are flirting... it was too much, I think I was 14 when MATM came out And I felt it wass too much too but iconic so... 

Well, I was 8 and I didn't think it was too much. Then again, this was the time where 50 Cent had music videos with a bunch of twerking Kardashian booties and I was exposed to it ALL. I always found it odd when hearing Britney been considered provocative back in the day. The level of sexism is unreal. I mean, even now, Demi Lovato gets insulted for being in a bikini like every other girl in the world when they are going to the beach or for a swim yet Justin Bieber's bare bottom gets cat calls. Sorry, off topic rant! Anyways, I did not know people started to dislike Britney after the Madonna kiss since it's considered so iconic now.

1. The song just isn't all that great -- not lead single, iconic single material

2. It's not like it's been paid dust -- it got a solid Circus Tour performance and has been on the Vegas setlist the entire 4 years

3. The underperformance in the US despite the hype is a big deal

4. Overshadowed by Toxic

5. Sounds like a product of its time

17 hours ago, Pinky98 said:

It's definitely an iconic single. Her clothes, the chemistry between Britney and Madonna, the dancing. It was all flawless. And I remember obsessing over the Mazda Rx-8 as a kid because of that video :unbelievableney:

But it was definitely overshadowed by Toxic shortly afterwards... Also, it seemed a bit like a token song. It had no clear direction as to why it existed, it was just made to show that Britney and Madonna were CAPABLE of working together. Still a bop tho. Plus Justin happened shortly before, then Every Time happened just after toxic, then OHT cancellations, knee injury, Kevin, babies, rumoured *****... I guess people didn't have time to stop and listen to MATM much over those few years. 

And I'm guessing she became unpopular and uncool pretty quickly in '04/'05 :girlwhat:

She is not became unpopular in 04/05 Lmao..Only reason is radio ban... 

Archived