This is a serious question: Why isnt me against the music considered a Classic in pop music?

It literally went #1 and top 10 everywhere but in the US and asia. It was a major success on Europe and the new East. Was it because the song wasnt potential enough? The video is incredible and it alineated why the trendy sound of the moment which was urban. As of 2017 i consider it to be one of the best features ever in popular culture. Also since its a follow up to an iconic performance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overshadowed by Toxic.

Also it came out at a time when Britney and Madonna weren't precisely the most loved artists. Now we see the VMA's 03 as iconic, but back then it was a huge scandal, a negative one (we've come a loong way) and I think that scandal also overshadowed the song itself. Plus, Britney being the Princess of Pop, and Madonna the Queen of Pop, the least we could expect from a collaboration between the two of them was a pop song, and MATM isn't precisely the straight forward pop kind of sound that classic Britney hits had. 

Also, Madonna passes almost unnoticed. The song wasn't intended to be a duet. I like the song, and I love the video, but I've never been surprised that it didn't become a classic among the GP. 

It's hard to imagine a world where Toxic features Madonna, but I think if that was the case, THAT would be the classic of classics nowadays.

The song is great for watching Britney perform it, but I don't think it's a song one can dance to at the club. It's not even easy to sing along especially before the chorus. The chorus isn't that strong or catchy as her previous singles, and many of her following singles. It is just a very rare song :mhm: 

1. The radio ban. 

2. Timing. Britney was very well known but somewhat overexposed for people at the time due to controversy. 

3. Quality. I like the song but it was always considered one of her weaker leads especially at the time because it followed BOMT, Oops, and Slave. 

4. People don't understand the lyrics lol. 

5. Toxic. This song made Britney a true adult pop star and it's one of the most iconic songs of all time. It overshadowed the lead and the video is considered one of the best pop videos of all time. Toxic not getting a VMA performance is heartbreaking to me(dramatic I know). 

6. Everytime. Toxic didn't overshadow this song because it showed a vulnerable side to a massive star and it fed the media's interest in her past relationship with Justin which was talked about constantly. 

7. No performance of the song together. I think if an iconic performance with the two happened then it would be remembered even more favorably. The choreography is amazing already but maybe things would've been different if it had a big performance. 

8. Collabs between pop girls rarely do super well. There are exceptions of course but not this time. 

I think all of these factors contributed to MATM being remembered less as a pop classic. 

Guest Edge Of Clockin' You
1 hour ago, PokéSpears said:

Overshadowed by Toxic.

Also it came out at a time when Britney and Madonna weren't precisely the most loved artists. Now we see the VMA's 03 as iconic, but back then it was a huge scandal, a negative one (we've come a loong way) and I think that scandal also overshadowed the song itself. Plus, Britney being the Princess of Pop, and Madonna the Queen of Pop, the least we could expect from a collaboration between the two of them was a pop song, and MATM isn't precisely the straight forward pop kind of sound that classic Britney hits had. 

Also, Madonna passes almost unnoticed. The song wasn't intended to be a duet. I like the song, and I love the video, but I've never been surprised that it didn't become a classic among the GP. 

It's hard to imagine a world where Toxic features Madonna, but I think if that was the case, THAT would be the classic of classics nowadays.

The song is great for watching Britney perform it, but I don't think it's a song one can dance to at the club. It's not even easy to sing along especially before the chorus. The chorus isn't that strong or catchy as her previous singles, and many of her following singles. It is just a very rare song :mhm: 

So did the GP hate it at first or find it iconic? Also, did the fans love it/hate it, how was the fandom's reaction? Just curious tbh...

Probably because the song is just average at most, and kinda lackluster considering it's a Britney and Madonna collab, we all know Madonna wasn't supposed to be on the song originally. Had Britney and Madonna planned a collab from the beginning it probably would have been a better song. Most fans view it as Britney's weakest lead single too.

Also Toxic overshadowed it.

Honestly it wasn't that big of a hit to begin with, despite the cute peaks. Look at where ITZ debuted in the UK despite the song peaking at #2.

Main reason why it isn't considered a classic is because it's forgotten. **** recurrent stats. Why is it that way? Well the song is not very good in my opinion. :gross:

And what Asian charts are u looking at to say it didn't go top 10? lmao

2 minutes ago, Oliver T said:

What's with this btw. Never really knew what it refered to :yaknow: 

Apparently Britney had Clear Channel (basically iheartradio in 2000) as a sponser for her oops tour. But then for the DWAD tour she had a different sponser(I think Pepsi?) because of that, clear channel boycotted her songs on the radio until toxic when she had the. As a sponser again and that's how toxic was a hit. 

1 hour ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

Apparently Britney had Clear Channel (basically iheartradio in 2000) as a sponser for her oops tour. But then for the DWAD tour she had a different sponser(I think Pepsi?) because of that, clear channel boycotted her songs on the radio until toxic when she had the. As a sponser again and that's how toxic was a hit. 

I think she didnt have clear channel back as a sponsor for toxic, its just that the song was massive. She was technically still banned. Otherwise it would have probably gotten in to the top 5 of the hot 100, remember airplay was britney's worst enemy after the oops era.

If the digital era never came in, britney would probably neve ever gotten another hit tbh, clesr channel really took it over her

3 hours ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

Was she still in the whole Clear Channel thing at the time? Because that's the only thing that would make sense

I heard that was the reason. I mean it's a great song, great video, it features MADONNA, she had so much great promo with amazing live performances... She was in her peak and it was her first single so the Clear Channel ban is the only thing that explains it for me.

3 hours ago, prettylittleliar_2214 said:

1. The radio ban. 

2. Timing. Britney was very well known but somewhat overexposed for people at the time due to controversy. 

3. Quality. I like the song but it was always considered one of her weaker leads especially at the time because it followed BOMT, Oops, and Slave. 

4. People don't understand the lyrics lol. 

5. Toxic. This song made Britney a true adult pop star and it's one of the most iconic songs of all time. It overshadowed the lead and the video is considered one of the best pop videos of all time. Toxic not getting a VMA performance is heartbreaking to me(dramatic I know). 

6. Everytime. Toxic didn't overshadow this song because it showed a vulnerable side to a massive star and it fed the media's interest in her past relationship with Justin which was talked about constantly.

7. No performance of the song together. I think if an iconic performance with the two happened then it would be remembered even more favorably. The choreography is amazing already but maybe things would've been different if it had a big performance. 

8. Collabs between pop girls rarely do super well. There are exceptions of course but not this time. 

I think all of these factors contributed to MATM being remembered less as a pop classic. 

This. i crossed off 5 and 6, just because i'm looking at it from when it was released. Before Toxic and Everytime were official singles.

Every reason here is on point, plus people knew that madonna used Britney to bring herself some relevancy so when it was released that Madonna was the special feature on the track (I remember they had like a tease on the website trying for fans to figure out who it was though it was obvious) most of the GP were like "well they kissed about a month ago, so why keep her around, we've seen them 2 together already". I think it would have had a bigger impact if the VMA 2003 thing didn't happen cuz then it would have been a true surprise.

Archived