When did Britney stop feeling like a 'big deal'?

When did Britney stop feeling like a 'big deal'?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When did it FEEL THAT WAY to you? Not when do you think it happened. For instance, I didn't FEEL Britney not being a big deal anymore until Glory flopped, making for two flop eras in a row. One flop era I can sustain. But now two in a row makes it look even worse in hindsight. So I think the move to Vegas meant surrendering any claim she had to being a big deal in Top 40 anymore. My vote is for 2016. I think she can come back though. She still felt like a big deal when Pretty Girls came out to me because, even though people disliked it...people knew of it. They checked for it. It was such a huge disaster precisely because so many people DID listen to the song. It COULD have been a hit and it wasn't, because people simply didn't like the song. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest I Think I'm Ready Now

She stopped being a big deal in 2012 - 2013

(I'm saying 2012 bc she may have been highly visible on X Factor, but it was only in the US, for the rest of the world it's like she did nothing in 2012)

Maybe around 2010 or 2011, even when the FF era was great the fact that a new bunch of idols started to come out like Bieber, Katy, Gaga, the music scene started to be very but very competitive for everyone not only Britney and if we consider "promotion" is not one her strenghts  she was ike 10 steps behind all those competitors. 

In her defense, I would say that she flops because she wants it that way. Both BJ & Glory had almost 0 promotion, they were barely mentioned, 4 singles from which only 1 of them outstands. I mean, her focus was the residency. Unlike the other pop girls, she didn't even try it  and yet, the numbers are (kind of) OK. It not like she's going here and there, making appearances, making stupid rumors, comments, doing award shows and stuff and even that way her albums flop.

Guest Paris Hilton $

she still has the potentiel to become one again

she didn't try anything to get out of that zone where she's getting money by doing zumba moves and her team neither

now that pom is about to end they have to or they'll not get easy money :flawlessbye:

it's not like she did everything to have some success like katie perrie with witness and then fail :gross:

including one of the trashiest music videos of the industry :wyd:

britney you need step up the pop industry in general but really:beysip:

I mean, since For the Record she says something like she used to be cool, and now she isn't. If she didn't think she was cool, I don't think she thought she was a big deal.

So I think she stopped feeling like a big deal since 2008, IF she ever saw herself as a big deal, because we know she's always been very humble, like TOO humble sometimes.

4 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I mean, since For the Record she says something like she used to be cool, and now she isn't. If she didn't think she was cool, I don't think she thought she was a big deal.

So I think she stopped feeling like a big deal since 2008, IF she ever saw herself as a big deal, because we know she's always been very humble, like TOO humble sometimes.

I meant for you personally haha

Definitely post-FF. I would even say 2013, since X-Factor and S&S were both pretty huge events. :yaknow: I would say it all started with the GMA disaster of 2013. Then Work ***** flopped.

I still remember when Britney was looking fly as hell at iHeartRadio in September, introduced Miley, referenced "Work *****" and NO ONE IN THE AUDIENCE KNEW WHAT THE ACTUAL **** SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT. :tiffcackle: 

10 minutes ago, Someone Who Knows said:

I meant for you personally haha

lol I swear the OP didn't show up, the first post I could see was @I Think I'm Ready Now's and the poll  :giggleney:

Then for me, I think it was Blackout. That's when the idol I used to know since BOMT, kinda died, and basically all the people I knew in real life stopped liking her by then. For me she's still a big deal, but what I see in general is that everything from Blackout onwards it's like a blur for most of the people. Before Blackout everyone recognized her, her looks, her songs, her videos. Now it's like they might have heard TTWE or S&S but for some reason they don't make the connection that it's Britney Spears, or they don't have like an image coming to their minds.

I've seen these "reaction" videos that people post in here, and there's always comments like "I didn't know the song 3 had a video" or stuff like that. I know most of you became fans since Blackout, and that was a "big deal" for ya'll but all I remember is that a huuuuuge part of her original fanbase, or that GP adoration, disappeared precisely around the era. Probably since before Blackout came out, because of the whole scandal, but when it finally came out, that's when the shift on her fanbase was consumed.

That's why even though I've had my almost meltdowns here and there, for me it's like, she can't go lower than the Blackout era, she can't lose more fans than what she already lost back then. Now she's suddenly adored again, and somewhat respected, but it's because of her early albums, back when she was a big deal.

1 hour ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

She stopped being a big deal in 2012 - 2013

(I'm saying 2012 bc she may have been highly visible on X Factor, but it was only in the US, for the rest of the world it's like she did nothing in 2012)

They did broadcast the X Factor in Latin America at least.

Another thing that I've noticed is that she's got a lot of media coverage for her Vegas residency, like the wardrobe malfunctions, and stuff like that. Things that would be very irrelevant if it was another artist they were talking about, but for some reason they've started to notice Britney more and more in these past years. Again, I keep talking of Latin America. But for example, back in the FF era I never saw her on the news, even when she was releasing several hits and the FFT and stuff. Not even during the Circus era.

22 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

lol I swear the OP didn't show up, the first post I could see was @I Think I'm Ready Now's and the poll  :giggleney:

Then for me, I think it was Blackout. That's when the idol I used to know since BOMT, kinda died, and basically all the people I knew in real life stopped liking her by then. For me she's still a big deal, but what I see in general is that everything from Blackout onwards it's like a blur for most of the people. Before Blackout everyone recognized her, her looks, her songs, her videos. Now it's like they might have heard TTWE or S&S but for some reason they don't make the connection that it's Britney Spears, or they don't have like an image coming to their minds.

I've seen these "reaction" videos that people post in here, and there's always comments like "I didn't know the song 3 had a video" or stuff like that. I know most of you became fans since Blackout, and that was a "big deal" for ya'll but all I remember is that a huuuuuge part of her original fanbase, or that GP adoration, disappeared precisely around the era. Probably since before Blackout came out, because of the whole scandal, but when it finally came out, that's when the shift on her fanbase was consumed.

That's why even though I've had my almost meltdowns here and there, for me it's like, she can't go lower than the Blackout era, she can't lose more fans than what she already lost back then. Now she's suddenly adored again, and somewhat respected, but it's because of her early albums, back when she was a big deal.

You are insightful and very ****

30 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Well I don't know... because Circus and FF were big. Up until Scream & Shout, she released pretty much nothing but hits. Then came Ooh La La and X Factor and there was a shift. I think she was really confused about her art and what direction she could take now. But lately girl has been feeling cool again, I can tell. :lemmetellu: Glory is a step in the right direction. She just needs another album which she'll release outside of Vegas. Concentrate on the album only. Have time for a full promo schedule. Then tour after.

3 minutes ago, ubritney said:

Well I don't know... because Circus and FF were big. Up until Scream & Shout, she released pretty much nothing but hits. Then came Ooh La La and X Factor and there was a shift. I think she was really confused about her art and what direction she could take now. But lately girl has been feeling cool again, I can tell. :lemmetellu: Glory is a step in the right direction. She just needs another album which she'll release outside of Vegas. Concentrate on the album only. Have time for a full promo schedule. Then tour after.

During Circus and FF it did feel like people had finally forgotten about 2007 and everything else, and she was once again the mega pop star she once was, but in retrospective it's like all of that is gone for some reason, and for younger generations and even older people it's as if she hadn't released anything since Toxic, and I'm like what :rude2me: If she was still perceived as a big deal around that time, people would still remember songs like Womanizer, Piece of Me, Circus, HIAM, etc.

For me she's still a big deal, I even enjoyed Ooh La La and thought it was amazing :quirkney: but yeah, at least that's what I see from the GP, but I guess it varies on the country too.

Archived