What does Britney still need to do to earn the 'legend' status?

IMO...

...and first of all: no, she is not a legend yet. Madonna is a legend. Britney is an icon...

...proceeding...

* Have at least one more unquestionable, unqualified HIT. No 'in this respect,' no qualifications. A song everyone recognizes instantly is a hit, with no debate. Womanizer is her last song to totally, unambiguously fit this category. Everyone knows that song, and it went to #1. Till the World Ends comes closest in the 2010s, but its failure to perform internationally means it doesn't quite make it. It doesn't have to be a Baby One More Time or Toxic, but it needs to be a Womanizer. I think she can pull it off, but she has to want it badly enough.

* Have one more 'essential' full-length record. Something you've just got to have heard if you're well-versed in pop music. In the Zone and Blackout are her only records that have this credibility. Something on which every song is a hit. Something that helps influence the pop soundscape rather than follow it. Femme Fatale comes closest in the 2010s but it isn't standing the test of time. Sometimes people say she needs her Ray of Light, by the way, but what I think she really needs is her Confessions On a Dance Floor.

* Demonstrate lasting impact as a national touring artist. The big money is in touring nowadays. Her Vegas show improved her touring brand massively, IMO; it was a big triumph for her and it has turned out to be a successful chapter in her career. If she does have a 30-year career, the Vegas chapter in her career will be seen as highly influential and a gamble that paid off. Now she needs to keep putting in the effort, keep giving a ****, and go on a big national tour for her next record.

* Do at least one clearly *good* live TV performance. The lip-syncing will hang like a shadow over her career legacy if she does not turn in at least one stellar performance -- to show that she's choosing to lip-sync because she wants to rather than because she has to.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all you re trying to determinate what a legend is by those things you mentioned and that is just your opinion.

A legend... In theory .. is a story that is passed through generation to generation and let me tell you Britney Spears has already reached that status. 

She has fans that were born fter blackout, that only know about her "prime" because of us. She has peaked in her career as nobody else since herself, and has had a personal life story that unfortunately as bad as it was, was a plus in achieving the legend status. She survived where lot of other stars died. Literally. She is trulyan inspiration and an example, even if she never liked to be called a role model, she really is. Badly, some people will realize that when shes gone and i hope that takes really really a long time. 

Oh AND your are forgetting WORK *****. She does have a hit that everybody recognizes its hers. Oh and... Scream and shout .. and 3, and even S&M.

Stop pretending the last memorable thing she did was in 2008 with womanizer because that is not FACT. May be just your opinion

1. Sing live more often (so that the audience can hear it :)))). At least she'd seem less bored onstage. 

2.Write more of her own songs (and have her management actually allow them released as official album tracks.) Homegirl plays piano, can compose (ie. Everytime, Scary, Someday) and has an ear for timeless pop hooks. She wouldn't lose; songwriting credits would also increase her personal income instead of $$ being thrown to some hit producer to jour who'll write something boring and generic for the check. Even Sia failed to write her a hit.

3.The aforementioned would guarantee her career longevity as her management seems to be permanently stuck in 1999 in regards to her and now tries to sell her as a nostalgia act (this is probably why they arranged the Vegas residency to begin with) as if she were some kind of a one hit wonder. 

I'll also address the issue with meds. They're supposed to prevent violent mood swings and unfortunately for artists they can also kill a fair degree of a certain necessary passion for self-expression. Remember when she complained about "having no passion" in her life and I think it referred to the way these meds turn one's life into a grey existence emotionally. Watch Britney on her Chaotic series, where she'd do things like go around filming people and sing opera for random passbyers - that was the real Britney. Meds will turn you into a machine.

5 minutes ago, SpaceDiablo said:

1. Sing live more often (so that the audience can hear it :)))). At least she'd seem less bored onstage. 

2.Write more of her own songs (and have her management actually allow them released as official album tracks.) Homegirl plays piano, can compose (ie. Everytime, Scary, Someday) and has an ear for timeless pop hooks. She wouldn't lose; songwriting credits would also increase her personal income instead of $$ being thrown to some hit producer to jour who'll write something boring and generic for the check. Even Sia failed to write her a hit.

3.The aforementioned would guarantee her career longevity as her management seems to be permanently stuck in 1999 in regards to her and now tries to sell her as a nostalgia act (this is probably why they arranged the Vegas residency to begin with) as if she were some kind of a one hit wonder. 

I'll also address the issue with meds. They're supposed to prevent violent mood swings and unfortunately for artists they can also kill a fair degree of a certain necessary passion for self-expression. Remember when she complained about "having no passion" in her life and I think it referred to the way these meds turn one's life into a grey existence emotionally. Watch Britney on her Chaotic series, where she'd do things like go around filming people and sing opera for random passbyers - that was the real Britney. Meds will turn you into a machine.

I feel you but britney was high during chaotic, and she was a teenager. She doesnt need to be just like that forever and never grow up. I think she is fine now. But yes, meds can take down some passion

3 minutes ago, BritneyLover said:

I feel you but britney was high during chaotic, and she was a teenager. She doesnt need to be just like that forever and never grow up. I think she is fine now. But yes, meds can take down some passion

It's specifically the loss of passion I was referring to. I know 40+ musicians who act like Britney did in Chaotic and it seems to me it's about experiencing life in a way that keeps them wanting to express themselves creatively. You remember how she danced in the Onyx Hotel Tour - wanting to be there, wanting to do it, being alive and present. 

1 hour ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Show artistic evolution and integrity.

Have clear vision on her albums and some more meaningful messages from time to time.

Lastly, always acting professionally.

**** yeah! She needs new formula, because this 20 years old formula is not working anymore! 

For example: If she doesn't want to dance hard, don't focus your shows on dancing, bring something else to the table!

41 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Her doing the same old same makes her look like a has been.

I don't want her to lose the signature Britney style, but girl, we need fresh ideas.

Well she can always include some Britney signatures, but she needs to reinvent her image, stage presence and no more baby voice!!!

19 minutes ago, sue the expectional earner said:

if we can consider amy winehouse and kurt cobain a legend. britney spears is  definitely a legend. :girlwhat:
but i want another more successful era :hairflip:

+social issues can make a person an icon and legend. beyonce trying to be feminist legend for an example :calculating:

Let's be real, they are legends because they died young. Club 27. 

Being a legend is implement a recognized and unforgettable stamp that go from one generation to another, the talent and artistic growth that some use to diminish britney has nothing to do with build a Legend, be one is synonymous to be unforgettable over ther time, Marilyn artistic talent has been questioned by decades and tell me if she is not considered a legend, in addition britney is even recognized and seen as such by young artists who reign this generation.

There  are people who dont like call her musical legend for the stigma around britney and wherever, although her catalog is very familiar and some of her performances are unforgettable and representative of one Pop era and at least she is already a Legend of popular culture....  that fure sure.

I honestly feel like she's a legend already. Her career has outlived many of her peers that she started with and years and years from now people will still continue to reference her, artistically and personally. Whether you like it or not, Britney has created a career and a stamp in pop music that will forever be remembered. 

I kind of agree with you, but then again I dont. I feel like even if she did all of what you said, have another influental game changing album, have another insanely popular single, people and fans would still be saying she needs another album, she needs another single to be a legend. 

Message is, Britney can never win, and it sux. People are simply never satisfied with her.

In my opinion she has done immensely enough, so many quality singles, so many quality albums, the only horrible album she had in her entire career was britney jean, all the others are really up to the standard. So many awards, so many performances, concerts. Acting in TV shows (and doing it really well and raising their ratings), so many iconic music videos. Yet people believe she needs that ONE MORE SINGLE, ONE MORE THING to be legendary. And even if she was to get that ONE MORE whatever it is many people think it should be, what makes you think people will stop right there and say "ok shes a legend now" . Because im 90% sure that wont be the case.

I think she is legendary, not on a Madonna level, but legendary indeed, just a bit less than the queen of pop :)  shes long past iconic

Archived