Can anyone explain to me what caused Britney's breakdown?

KatLove

Yeah, basically what everyone else said but honestly, no one truly knows except her. She was over-worked, under insane pressure, stalked relentlessly, and likely suffering from the adult onset of a genetic mental disorder. Her grandmother on Jamie's side had an intense history of mental illness...she even committed suicide at her baby son's grave years before Britney was born.  Jamie himself was verbally abusive, erratic and an alcoholic, although I truly think he's recovered and has his heart in the right place now.

I do think the downward spiral began with her and Justin's break up, followed shortly after by her parents making their divorce official. She lost who she believed to be the love of her life (which sucks, even if she was the one who caused it) and the media attention on her afterward was absolutely crazy. She was getting dragged and had no place to run. She tried to find refuge through her whirlwind relationship and marriage with Kevin, (they got engaged after just a few months and married not long after that) but he ended up not providing her with the security and love she expected. I think she was drawn to how down to earth he was, the total opposite of what people expected of her. He was poor, came from a humble background and didn't look or act like the pretty boys people imagined was her type. Eventually, I believe the death of her aunt, who she was very close to, along with the divorce and custody battle with K Fed, was the tipping point.

Once the breakdown began, she tried to numb that pain with ***** and alcohol and given that she has some very addictive genes in her blood, it was all too much for her. That likely contributed to the mental illness (coupled with postpartum depression) becoming more and more magnified, as well. She was erratic, spoke in different accents and acting and dressing completely bizarre in public. I can vividly remember the candids of her wearing nothing more than a shirt and ripped fishnets, her tampon and stained underwear totally visible. Broke my heart. It just goes to show how out of touch she truly was with reality.

Also, I read in Lynne's book that she was on the medication Risperdol during this time, which is an anti-psychotic. She was in a very serious situation with her health. I really can't wrap my head around why Lynne would share that personal info with the public, either :squintney: I guess it was just to show how bad of a place she was really in so people would be more sympathetic?

Finally, even though it was her own behavior that caused her to lose custody, I think that made things even worse. She was trying to run away from the problem rather than towards a solution. She was shutting everyone out, surrounded by bad influences, and Sam's *** was busy running her life, filling her head with ideas and feeding her more pills.

Sorry for the long response, this is just how I see things, who knows :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, car said:

I think it was post partum depression combined with divorce...

Combined with having no privacy, being stalked 24/7 by hundreds of paparazzi, the entire country turning against her, rebelliousness due to the fact she had always just done what people had told her and didn’t feel in control, being overworked, the loss of her aunt, and being manipulated and drugged by Sam Lutfi

10 hours ago, $elfish said:

Mostly emotional stress and addiction 

from her aunt dying , to her divorce with k fed , being called a red neck and being made fun of in the media , paparazzi stalking her 24/7, people taking advantage of her for fame , her staying around bad influences 

thank god she's out of that situation and is much better now:crying1::crying2:

i have Aton of respect for her when she pulled herself back up with the help of papa spears and mama spears too

also I seriously can't with people blaming her breakdown on her :icant1: like ***** stfu

23 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Combined with having no privacy, being stalked 24/7 by hundreds of paparazzi, the entire country turning against her, rebelliousness due to the fact she had always just done what people had told her and didn’t feel in control, being overworked, the loss of her aunt, and being manipulated and drugged by Sam Lutfi

How did that Sam guy manipulate her to take *****?

Guest StrawberryKisses

About the head shaving, everyone really over-reacted. She simply wasn't in a good state of mind at that moment.

It's that time of the month for me (ladies will know) and last week I got my hair trimmed to cheer me up and splurge because I've been feeling down lately. You know how easy it is to just grab the razor when you're upset? I was thinking about it. It's something like in the heat of the moment. It's a mixture of the rush/adrenaline/thrill and control and entering or doing the taboo.  It's nothing sinister or psycho... she wasn't crazy, she just blanked out from society and went into defense mode... She was still herself. She knew her mom would be upset afterwards.

33 minutes ago, KatLove said:

How did that Sam guy manipulate her to take *****?

He could've recommended them to her, 'oh youre feeling sad/tired/stressed? i have a guy/doctor who can prescribe you something for that" 'here youre supposed to take them twice a day" "oh youre taking this medication? thats the shitty brand, here take this" etc

and prob partying with her and having friends/himself doing recreational street ***** and having that be a normal part of her life. 

i need her to write a book lol i hope she does one day 

11 minutes ago, MX3 said:

He could've recommended them to her, 'oh youre feeling sad/tired/stressed? i have a guy/doctor who can prescribe you something for that" 'here youre supposed to take them twice a day" "oh youre taking this medication? thats the shitty brand, here take this" etc

and prob partying with her and having friends/himself doing recreational street ***** and having that be a normal part of her life. 

i need her to write a book lol i hope she does one day 

Yeah, that and her mom accused him of grinding pills up in her food and drinks so she would either pass out or stay up for several days straight, depending on the med. I don't really understand why, I think he just liked the control and attention. He used to tell her that she would "have to take the pills to be able to see her babies", too. Total manipulation. Lynne also claimed she spoke/had the mental capacity of a small child and didn't understand what the pills were even for.

It was a giant snowball effect that started rolling down the hill and getting bigger since 2002 - actually, even earlier than that. The Justin break-up, the media pressure on her, her being overworked and overexposed, her loneliness, her disappointment in her career's path. Every single makeshift solution for that backfired and exploded in her face, and just added to the snowball. She wanted a family of her own so she could feel better, so she found K-Fed, felt attracted to him, and dived head first into marriage. But it didn't work. Add to that possibly post-partum depression, bad influences, wanting to break away from her family and team, being a major tabloid target, being followed everywhere 24/7, mental illness/possibly being bipolar, being questioned as a mother and made fun of, losing her kids in light of her questionable behavior, having her life handled by mean-intentioned people, her aunt's death, etc.

Well, yeah, that's a lot of stress. And that's what only I believe. There's her side of the story too.

1 hour ago, britmebaby_onemoretime said:

Yeah, that and her mom accused him of grinding pills up in her food and drinks so she would either pass out or stay up for several days straight, depending on the med. I don't really understand why, I think he just liked the control and attention. He used to tell her that she would "have to take the pills to be able to see her babies", too. Total manipulation. Lynne also claimed she spoke/had the mental capacity of a small child and didn't understand what the pills were even for.

I don't know what all to believe from her parents. that sounds absolutely bizarre. but of course it could be true.....

1 hour ago, MX3 said:

I don't know what all to believe from her parents. that sounds absolutely bizarre. but of course it could be true.....

Yeah, when I read the book, I didn't know what to think. It sounds insane but not impossible. And I know they took him to court and were awarded a restraining order over it, in addition to ones other people already had against him. Regardless of whether or not Lynne exaggerated details, (which could be the case, who knows) I definitely believe he took total advantage of her weak mental state and saw a sad, vulnerable woman he could exert control over.  That just makes me even more proud of how far she's come! She may never be her "old self" again but she's still here with us and that in itself is pretty amazing, looking back at what all she went thru :crying4:

On 6/28/2017 at 11:31 AM, Urbanney said:

Right. She had elements of those even before though. 100% these things contributed to it, but I think if you look at the ROOT that allowed all of those things to either 1) happen (ie Lutfi) or 2) impact her like never before is because of IMO something like the emotional ipmact of her dream world crumbling down (divorce) and her having an emotional post-pregnancy depression (v common actually)

Archived