The Britney album is so underrated

Michaelgiftos

6 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Had JIVE allowed Britney more freedom to incorporate more of the urban leaning tracks by The Neptunes, it would hold up far better today.

The BT tracks as well. Before The Goodbye, When I Say So, and Bring Me Home are quintessentially teen-pop Britney but have a more mature edge that really would've fit on the original Britney album.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney and Itz are my all time favorites, I don't care if it aged well,  people still listen to plenty of music from different decades. It's definitely one of her best and strongest albums despite cohesiveness. I'd rather listen to this teeny bopper album them the kesha sounding mess on ff or will.i.am's boom boom boom myah album. 

20 minutes ago, KatLove said:

Honest opinion, why is ITZ more praised than any other Britney album and well loved?

Because In The Zone connected with fans AND the GP. And when you consider the toned down nature of In The Zone compared to Britney's other records, it's simply an artistic achievement.

During the Britney era in the US, there was a sharp split between Britney's young fans, their parents... people who still expected innocent Britney... and the people that accepted this new, kinda raunchy Britney. A lot of people thought she was growing up way too fast and most of the songs flopped here that era super hard.

Blackout is loved by fans and recognized by pop music followers, but was completely overshadowed by the breakdown and doesn't really exist outside of Gimme More/2007 VMAs to the average person, so will never get the recognition it deserves.

Circus and Femme Fatale were commercial successes, both giving Britney some of her most gigantic singles and stats of all time, but the lack of "prime Britney" during promotional appearances splits the fanbase even though the music is fun.

Nobody besides us knows that Britney Jean and Glory exists.

So In the Zone is just THAT album.

5 minutes ago, ITZFFGL said:

Because In The Zone connected with fans AND the GP. And when you consider the toned down nature of In The Zone compared to Britney's other records, it's simply an artistic achievement.

During the Britney era in the US, there was a sharp split between Britney's young fans, their parents... people who still expected innocent Britney... and the people that accepted this new, kinda raunchy Britney. A lot of people thought she was growing up way too fast and most of the songs flopped here that era super hard.

Blackout is loved by fans and recognized by pop music followers, but was completely overshadowed by the breakdown and doesn't really exist outside of Gimme More/2007 VMAs to the average person, so will never get the recognition it deserves.

Circus and Femme Fatale were commercial successes, both giving Britney some of her most gigantic singles and stats of all time, but the lack of "prime Britney" splits the fanbase even though the music is fun.

Nobody besides us knows that Britney Jean and Glory exists.

So In the Zone is just THAT album.

Thank you!!!!!! Also whats funny is that even though ITZ was very ****** and Britney herself was ****** it wasn't bashed compare to the pop stars today who has that "****** image".

23 minutes ago, KatLove said:

Honest opinion, why is ITZ more praised than any other Britney album and well loved?

Kat I love you bby but I believe this is a wrong statement. If you look around most people here go on and on about Blackout.

I was really shocked when i first found this site because I always felt itz was the superior album,  full of songs I could connect to when it had came out. But everyone here glamorizes blackout and her breakdown era. 

23 minutes ago, Justney said:

Kat I love you bby but I believe this is a wrong statement. If you look around most people here go on and on about Blackout.

I was really shocked when i first found this site because I always felt itz was the superior album,  full of songs I could connect to when it had came out. But everyone here glamorizes blackout and her breakdown era. 

Yeah I can see that!

36 minutes ago, Justney said:

I see it go both ways, and it's always down to it being either ITZ or Blackout as the top Britney album. I've seen people argue over it, actually. I feel like artistically and era wise, ITZ was by far superior, but I also have to admit my favorite Brit song of all comes from BO. I think a lot of younger fans glamorize BO and that era because its full of bops and everything was so controversial and on everyone's lips, plus they were really young when it happened, if they were even born yet, so it's a different point of view. I think BO was the worst era, period, but the album was solid; and I feel both era and album were solid for ITZ, but I know how hard they were working her. And frankly, I love both and I don't know if I could decide between them for my top spot. :yaknow:

I just babbled at you randomly and I'm so sorry.

Anyway, on subject: Britney isn't as underappreciated as some might say, but -- and this could be my biased opinion talking in part -- I don't feel like it gets enough love. The era tends to because so many amazing things came from it, but the songs that weren't hits aren't as loved as I feel they should be.

i just finished listening to this album again and it gives me such weird feelings

like I feel nostalgic bc i remember hearing this back when it was released and how young I was, and how big britney was. But at the same time its also the most relatable/relevant album for me rn, like slave and boys is kinda like growing up and exploring your sexuality and finding what pleasures you

overprotected, what its like to be me, let me be are about being more self aware and exploring what it means to grow up, while lonely, cinderella, i run away, and before the goodbye are about knowing how to let go of the things that are not good for you and learning to cope when things dont go your way.  

or also bc the time she released the album is the age i am now? :verycool:

idk im kinda stoned rn

18 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

I see it go both ways, and it's always down to it being either ITZ or Blackout as the top Britney album. I've seen people argue over it, actually. I feel like artistically and era wise, ITZ was by far superior, but I also have to admit my favorite Brit song of all comes from BO. I think a lot of younger fans glamorize BO and that era because its full of bops and everything was so controversial and on everyone's lips, plus they were really young when it happened, if they were even born yet, so it's a different point of view. I think BO was the worst era, period, but the album was solid; and I feel both era and album were solid for ITZ, but I know how hard they were working her. And frankly, I love both and I don't know if I could decide between them for my top spot. :yaknow:

I just babbled at you randomly and I'm so sorry.

Anyway, on subject: Britney isn't as underappreciated as some might say, but -- and this could be my biased opinion talking in part -- I don't feel like it gets enough love. The era tends to because so many amazing things came from it, but the songs that weren't hits aren't as loved as I feel they should be.

BO was so un-Britney for me and at the time with all the things going on in her life it was a but startling to hear at the time. Like the album is good,  I enjoyed it, I always have to disclaim that since nobody can handle differing opinions about it but i always felt like the songs are repetitive, like gimme gimme more, gimme more, that is the entire song save for a few other lines about the crowds. Get naked is repeated a billion times,  toy soldier, radar,  idk it seems like a lot of the tracks blend into each other and there's not many stand out tracks on the album. I think you're right that younger fans latch onto it and declare it britney's best album ever and go so far as to hate on her first two albums. But she had a lot of depth on Britney and itz, I'd say more than blackout,  and isn't that what we want from her?  I notice a lot of these fans just want club bops and not music that resonates with her current life. Those are things I liked about Britney and itz especially. Itz was so good because she was there and present but in blackout I feel like she was trying to escape what was going on in her life. 

Sorry for the rant sis,  I love blackout but it frustrates me so much when most people here hyper obsess about it and insist we get a blackout 2.0 because it was sooo dark and edgy.  I think they overlook her work like Britney and itz and praise 3, ff and blackout like any of it is really Britney anymore. You can see on stage she isn't that person, she has no passion for these albums.

Long rant, I'm so sorry! I expect to be super hated for my blasphemous opinions on blackout tho. Another reason I get frustrated with it! You can't say anything about it. 

1 minute ago, Justney said:

BO was so un-Britney for me and at the time with all the things going on in her life it was a but startling to hear at the time. Like the album is good,  I enjoyed it, I always have to disclaim that since nobody can handle differing opinions about it but i always felt like the songs are repetitive, like gimme gimme more, gimme more, that is the entire song save for a few other lines about the crowds. Get naked is repeated a billion times,  toy soldier, radar,  idk it seems like a lot of the tracks blend into each other and there's not many stand out tracks on the album. I think you're right that younger fans latch onto it and declare it britney's best album ever and go so far as to hate on her first two albums. But she had a lot of depth on Britney and itz, I'd say more than blackout,  and isn't that what we want from her?  I notice a lot of these fans just want club bops and not music that resonates with her current life. Those are things I liked about Britney and itz especially. Itz was so good because she was there and present but in blackout I feel like she was trying to escape what was going on in her life. 

Sorry for the rant sis,  I love blackout but it frustrates me so much when most people here hyper obsess about it and insist we get a blackout 2.0 because it was sooo dark and edgy.  I think they overlook her work like Britney and itz and praise 3, ff and blackout like any of it is really Britney anymore. You can see on stage she isn't that person, she has no passion for these albums.

Long rant, I'm so sorry! I expect to be super hated for my blasphemous opinions on blackout tho. Another reason I get frustrated with it! You can't say anything about it. 

I don't see why you should be hated on for that; those reasons are valid ones to have and to bring up, because that's true. She was trying to escape everything that was going on in her personal life, and I do agree that Blackout was relied on heavily as one of those escapes. And I can definitely see where you're coming from. I've seen people insist she should do nothing but club bops from now on, but frankly, its a big part of the problem right now. I'd be happier if we got something resembling ITZ artistically-- not even in sound here, I mean in trying new sounds and experimenting, and songs being closer to being more personal than things we know she doesn't even do anymore.

So I feel you, basically. You're not wrong. :yaknow:

2 minutes ago, fucknfurter said:

I don't see why you should be hated on for that; those reasons are valid ones to have and to bring up, because that's true. She was trying to escape everything that was going on in her personal life, and I do agree that Blackout was relied on heavily as one of those escapes. And I can definitely see where you're coming from. I've seen people insist she should do nothing but club bops from now on, but frankly, its a big part of the problem right now. I'd be happier if we got something resembling ITZ artistically-- not even in sound here, I mean in trying new sounds and experimenting, and songs being closer to being more personal than things we know she doesn't even do anymore.

So I feel you, basically. You're not wrong. :yaknow:

Thanks bby, I'm so glad you don't hate me now with my blackout opinions. It's a bit intimidating to say Those things here. :otears:

"Britney" was as good as some other albums, true.

I feel like the world and the industry has been such a ***** to Britney in a way back on her prime time.

Seeing all these non sense artists today winning Grammys and stuff it's like come on!!! Britney should have won many of them....

I don't think it's underrated... It's one of her bests and one of my favorites. The whole era was amazing.

The only bad thing about the album is what I found about the "bts" a few years ago. How she wanted something different, more urban but it ended up being a mix of Brit's idea, super pop songs and a crossroad's movie soundtrack. It would have been amazing if Jive had let her freely choose the direction instead of wanting to leave her stuck in the max martin songs. But as always, they never let her choose the direction so here we are in 2017, stuck in the same typo of songs so... :lollistare:

Archived