The Britney album is so underrated

Michaelgiftos

Lonely, Bombastic Love, and What Its Like to Be Me are all underrated bops. And all the singles are some of her best work Slave, Boys remix, overprotected, I'm not a girl, her ILRNR cover is better than the original in my opinion, and anticipating slayed me. But why does this album not get as much praise as Blackout or in the zone or even glory. It's just as good if not better. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good record but Slave aside, most of it hasn't aged very well and that's due to teen pop being on it's way out at the time of release.

Had JIVE allowed Britney more freedom to incorporate more of the urban leaning tracks by The Neptunes, it would hold up far better today.

Overall, it's a pivotal moment in her discography because it's the transition album but I wish it was more 50/50 of the two styles (teen pop and urban) rather than 80/20. Like the transitions from Slave to Overprotected and Not a Girl to Boys are just :waitwhat:

jive definitely didn't want britney doing anything aside from the Max Martin **** that was making them so much money lol so they didn't wanna let go of the teeny bops even though britney was transitioning from a teen popstar to a **** goddess but i guess they didn't catch the memo 
(I still love the album regardless but it's definitely less cohesive)

Agree. I loved it when it came out, love it now. It made Britney the staple in my life that she will always be, because it was her first solid album, and I'm a Slave 4 U killed me when I first heard it in my sisters car because she had the CD. It was the first Britney CD that was not embarrassing to own.  It aged fine.. Especially the songs mentioned in the OP.  Get better taste.  LOL You probably think Till The World End aged well. :nobitch:

6 hours ago, CashmereCat said:

jive definitely didn't want britney doing anything aside from the Max Martin **** that was making them so much money lol so they didn't wanna let go of the teeny bops even though britney was transitioning from a teen popstar to a **** goddess but i guess they didn't catch the memo 

It actually was smart to have a mixture of an album, it's the perfect transition to the fully sexualized In the Zone. If she went full Miley at the VMAs people would have turned on her.

8 minutes ago, Kevney said:

It actually was smart to have a mixture of an album, it's the perfect transition to the fully sexualized In the Zone. If she went full Miley at the VMAs people would have turned on her.

I guess but I still love the album lol - you can feel that Britney and Jive weren't on the same ropes on that album regardless of what we feel lol 

The final tracklist should have been :

1- I'm A Slave 4 U
2- Overprotected
3- Lonely
4- I Run Away
5- Boys
6- Anticipating
7- Before The Goodbye
8- Mad Love
9- When I Say So 
10- She'll Never Be Me
11- Let Me Be
12- That's Where You Take Me
13- Intimitated
14- What's Like To Be Me

BONUS TRACKS :

15 I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman (from "Crossroads")
16 I Love Rock'n'Roll (from "Crossroads")
17 What's Going On (All Star Tribute)
18 Bombastic Love 
19 Cinderella
20 When I Found You

:staysalty:

21 minutes ago, SonOfSun said:

The final tracklist should have been :

1- I'm A Slave 4 U
2- Overprotected
3- Lonely
4- I Run Away
5- Boys
6- Cinderella
7- Before The Goodbye
8- Mad Love
9- When I Say So 
10- She'll Never Be Me
11- Let Me Be
12- That's Where You Take Me
13- When I Found You
14- What's Like To Be Me

BONUS TRACKS :

15 I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman (from "Crossroads")
16 I Love Rock'n'Roll (from "Crossroads")
17 What's Going On (All Star Tribute)
18 Bombastic Love 
19 Anticipating
20 Intimitated

Fixed :staysalty:

Don't mess with When I found God and Goderella :queenriri:

I love this album and I agree with you it's underrated. Overprotected is one of my favourite songs by her, and there's bops like Lonely, Anticipating, Cinderella (should have been a single!), Before the Goodbye (one of her BEST bonus tracks) etc. and of course there's some great ballads like Not a Girl and I Run Away. I feel a lot of the songs on the album have quite personal lyrics or lyrics people can relate to too. Although I quite like her cover of I Love Rock N Roll I think it's the album's weakest song and I don't think it should have been a single but it's still fine on its own.

1 hour ago, Kevney said:

I agree with this, it was her 'coming of age' album as I like to put it. She was leaving behind the old her but trying to explore a new, more ****** image and sound. Then by the time ITZ came out she was fully transitioned into '******' Britney and was no longer the cookie cut teen pop star people used to know her for. Miley and Christina didn't really do that and I think it turned a lot of people off them.

6 hours ago, CashmereCat said:

I think it really would have been cool to have like a double disc the way Beyonce did with I Am Sasha Fierce. One disc being more teen pop and the other urban pop. Just put 7-8 tracks on each disc and boom.

No, it hasn't aged well, but here's the thing-- it was the gateway to us getting ITZ, and it was a different sound from the bubblegum pop, so it'll always have a special place in my heart. It fits Britney's history well. That's why it's still one of my favorites. :myjam:

It's a great album! I don't think it's underrated though I feel like her fans love it. It was #1 and sold a lot plus we got the massive hit Slave. The era was amazing and very successful... Lots of promo, great videos, an amazing tour, Crossroads, sponsorships, Stages, ect. 

Archived