Is Britney Jean really as bad as people make it out to be?

jacks1981

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah no, the only decent songs are Perfume, Don't Cry and Hold on Tite (Work ***** is trash). Also... Now That I Found You and It Should Be Easy are not only the worst Britney songs but they might also be one of the worst songs I've EVER heard PERIOD. Not over exaggerating, I much rather listen to Rebecca Black's mother ******* Friday over most of the tracks on Basic Jingles. Nursery rhyme level lyrics, auto tuned mess void of any personality, soul, meaning and Britney herself. Britney is literally the last person to be singing Passenger based on its lyrical content ("I've never been a passenger" even though she's been the biggest music industry puppet for like 10 years already). Trash among trash. :bigkiss: If I were Britney I would issue an open letter apology to my fans for letting them down with that mess and do EVERYTHING to get something so tragic never ever associated with my name again, but that obviously won't happen because Brit is as oblivious as she has been for the past 10 years. :ipass:

2 hours ago, jcjbprince said:

Don’t get me wrong. I think we can all agree that it’s her most critically panned, most rushed, and worst-selling effort and it has a lot of flaws in production. :embarrassney: But come on guys. Can any of you not bop out to any of the songs besides Work *****? Myah aside, it’s still a Britney album. Hold on Tight, Tik Tik Boom, Body Ache (despite popular opinion), Chillin With You (despite popular opinion), Now That I Found You, and Don’t Cry are fun to listen to imo. :pumped: It deserves some hate but not as much as it gets. It’s my least favorite album by her and paved the way for one of her best, Glory, but I think it’s a little bit much to disown the album. :ehum: Js.

I really like alien, passenger, work b, hold on tight and body ache so is not that bad for me

Yes. Besides a few mediocre songs, it's not a memorable album, nor is it consistent or something we haven't seen done before. But most importantly, it's not Britney. It doesn't have her trademark sound or style and it pales in comparison to all Britney's other albums. There's no personality in the whole album, and the fact it ruined a lot of Britney's artistic integrity should tell you all you need to know.

I can now honestly only listen to the following tracks:

Alien (Demo) *the ****** vocals in the album mix ruin the song for me*

Work *****

Perfume

Don't Cry

Hold On Tight

Every other song just comes off as bland to me. Especially the EDM tracks which feature some of the worst dance production I've ever heard. There's better music on a drag queen album...

29 minutes ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

No and you know why?

At first people on here kinda liked it and wanted Body ache, Alien or Passenger as a third single. People were dying to have the stems leaked and then the while Myah Marie thing happened and it became popular to hate and talk trash about BJ. And since it is popular to hate on it, many jumped aboard.

it became popular to talk trash about it because Myah was on it, and it isn't ''talking trash'', its have standards. If the album says ''Britney Spears'', I expect her to be singing, she wasn't, and at the time, she wasn't singing, hadn't been writing, and wasn't performing. What the **** was she doing?

2 hours ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

If it was by anyone else other than (Myah) Britney, it would be just another pop record, and that's its problem. Its her most dated, most generic album album, and also her messiest. The tracks are forgettable, the lyrics are lack lustre, and the production is weak. What we were told about for a year and a bit was a personal album, with personal lyrics and urban sounds. When WB came out, we were all confused but still had hope as Britney still said ''it was personal'', and it was hyped to be her Ray of Light album (which completely reinvented Madonna). When Perfume came out, we all praised the vocals, but felt it was a juvenile track.

and then the album came out, and were left wondering what was going on?
and then the myah stuff came out. 
and then the alien leak came out.
and then we were just given more and more reasons to realised that Team B tried to pull the wool over our eyes and give us as generic an album as possible, wrapped up the package of reinvention, and expect us to blindly buy it.

yeah, it has one or two nice tracks, but they're smeared with awkward lyrics, or cheap production.....

also, Britney didn't sing on it.

Honestly I completely agree with this. :plzexplain: I don’t know how to explain this without sounding dumb, but my point was even though it’s her worst album it’s still perfectly listenable. Comparing it to a Heidi Montag album (as someone, idk who said on bh) just seems like pretty extra.

40 minutes ago, It'sSamB!tch said:

No and you know why?

At first people on here kinda liked it and wanted Body ache, Alien or Passenger as a third single. People were dying to have the stems leaked and then the while Myah Marie thing happened and it became popular to hate and talk trash about BJ. And since it is popular to hate on it, many jumped aboard.

It's Britney's least amazing album but Britney could release a thousand "flops", it still will be a better album than most other artists nowadays.

I don't get the hate towards Passenger either. IT IS THE BEST TRACK. the intro is haunting, the guitar is catchy and the song itself has just an amazing energetic and happy feeling that gets you smiling.

Justice for BJ!

....AND I agree with this. The album was a pretty big mess. I’ll admit it. Production, promotion, etc was a mess. I also doubt she wrote every single track, considering Passenger was meant for Prism and Katy’s demo was FOR Prism (not hating on Passenger, I like it). One thing I was trying to make clear is you can’t tell me every song on this album isn’t boppable (new word). I think this album is unique in its own way and despite many flaws it is a legitimate pop record. Like ICouldntThinkOfOne said, by Britney standards, no it’s really not that great. But come on, it’s not that bad. 

46 minutes ago, Isla. said:

I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be, but maybe I just have bad taste. I personally think her debut was a worse album as it's full of filler, at least BJ had some bops like Work ***** and Til It's Gone and good songs such as Alien, Perfume and Hold On Tight. But yeah some of the songs are generic like Now That I Found You and some got boring fast like Chillin' With You, Don't Cry and Brightest Morning Star. 

Personally, I like her debut album better, only because I’ll admit there’s filler and I like the fillery bubblegum pop songs. I listen to the CD all the time, so it’s mostly nostalgia that makes me like it more. But yes I agree. BJ wasn’t really fillery. The production was a bit generic but half of her debut album were generic ballads. 

THE POINT BEING: BJ had a lot of flaws. It’s not mind blowing or a hallmark of pop music, unlike her other records. The production was a bit generic and the mixing of the vocals (Britney’s and Myah’s) was kind of embarrassing. BUT, it’s not terrible. Myah’s voice overshadows Britney’s voice a lot of times, but it’s not NOT Britney. Sadly there was a lot more that could’ve been done to better the album but it turned out the way it did and thank god for that because it wouldn’t have given us Glory! I guess I’m just too much of a Britney fan (not saying those who don’t like BJ aren’t because I didn’t like it for a long time until it grew on me). Hell, everyone hates PG and that song got me into Britney hardcore. Since then I’ve heard every song by her EVER, there’s no looking back. :bwink:

1 hour ago, jcjbprince said:

THE POINT BEING: BJ had a lot of flaws. It’s not mind blowing or a hallmark of pop music, unlike her other records. The production was a bit generic and the mixing of the vocals (Britney’s and Myah’s) was kind of embarrassing. BUT, it’s not terrible. Myah’s voice overshadows Britney’s voice a lot of times, but it’s not NOT Britney. Sadly there was a lot more that could’ve been done to better the album but it turned out the way it did and thank god for that because it wouldn’t have given us Glory! I guess I’m just too much of a Britney fan (not saying those who don’t like BJ aren’t because I didn’t like it for a long time until it grew on me). Hell, everyone hates PG and that song got me into Britney hardcore. Since then I’ve heard every song by her EVER, there’s no looking back. :bwink:

Exactly I agree with you :) BJ has a lot of flaws but at the same time some great songs that save the album from being extremely terrible/career suicide. But Glory is far superior, one of Britney's best albums and I'm glad we got Glory out of this!!!!

Archived