What was it like living during Primeney era?

Brunetteknee

Tick tack toe baby! Three in a row!  :hipney::hipney::hipney:

1. Baby One More Time (1999)

2. Oops!... I Did It Again (2000)

3. Britney (2001)

All three sold 4 million copies (in the US), or more. And all 3 went #1!!!

1999 to 2003 was orgasmic baby. :carpoolney:

You would hear 70% of straight males and their ******** fantasies about Brit Brit from 1998 to 2004!

And in 2003 she had the most hate sites and was the most talked about celebrity in the world, according to polls. She was hated and loved, like all Queens should be! 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was truly a time to be alive, by the time she was 21 she hit every single career milestone one could hit and topped every list from Most Sexiest to Most Powerful.  She really made being a teen queen pop star look real easy.  Everything she did was either a big deal or scandal from her *****, hair, body, and photographs.  

And of course she always brought it on stage, no matter where at, she troubled critics but wowed audiences.  :cinderellaney:

The thing is she also was peaking during the record industry's peak. Not only was she making headlines for her own sales, but she was breaking sales records and setting a new (impossible to sustain) bar. NSYNC and BSB were going back and fourth breaking all-time sales records, but largely remained faceless to the masses beyond their demographic. Britney Spears was the face of her own success that everybody in the world got to know shockingly quickly between her MTV presence and the media constantly scrutinizing her image from day 1. She was a household name well-within a year. Her first 3 singles had impressive longevity. BY her 3rd single, the premiere was an event. Her "so much choreography on my head" from Making The Video was spoofed by major television programs. EVERYONE was talking about her breasts and she was still 17.

Her impact actually can't be overstated. I saw nothing like it in my lifetime, except maybe Spice-Mania--but again, they were caricatures--almost cartoon-like, while Britney was just a girl from Louisiana. She was a one-woman Spice girls/BSB/NSYNC/NKOTB. In retrospect, I see now that all the comparing her to Madonna back in the day was actually (from the media's perspective) a backhanded compliment towards Britney and the media trying to grasp the Britney Spears effect as it was happening.

Guest Arckangel
On 20/06/2017 at 3:39 PM, zone said:

I still remember how much she slayed me with this, i was watching it on repeat for weeks

Thanks for sharing. So much for those claiming the Oops...  I Did It Again Tour  was fully pre-recorded...

When Brit's mic is live, the overall energy is just stronger! Sucks to say, but that's what all of Britney's post-Onyx shows lack.

I'm Britney's age, so I experienced that whole era. She was a force to be reckoned with, for sure. Jive Record really hit the jackpot w/ her.

• 2 weeks later...

It was pure slayage. She was everywhere, on TV, on magazines, in the papers, online (I assume)... you couldn't escape Britney and her songs. The Beatles had Beatlemania, we had Britneymania. I'm glad I became a fan during Britney's prime. I met someone who said she was a big fan at the beginning of the 00s but she is no longer a fan. She does listen to Britney on the radio at times but doesn't buy her CDs any more. I know quite a few people who said they were fans back in the day and they own Britney's early albums.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:48 AM, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

The thing is she also was peaking during the record industry's peak. Not only was she making headlines for her own sales, but she was breaking sales records and setting a new (impossible to sustain) bar. NSYNC and BSB were going back and fourth breaking all-time sales records, but largely remained faceless to the masses beyond their demographic. Britney Spears was the face of her own success that everybody in the world got to know shockingly quickly between her MTV presence and the media constantly scrutinizing her image from day 1. She was a household name well-within a year. Her first 3 singles had impressive longevity. BY her 3rd single, the premiere was an event. Her "so much choreography on my head" from Making The Video was spoofed by major television programs. EVERYONE was talking about her breasts and she was still 17.

Her impact actually can't be overstated. I saw nothing like it in my lifetime, except maybe Spice-Mania--but again, they were caricatures--almost cartoon-like, while Britney was just a girl from Louisiana. She was a one-woman Spice girls/BSB/NSYNC/NKOTB. In retrospect, I see now that all the comparing her to Madonna back in the day was actually (from the media's perspective) a backhanded compliment towards Britney and the media trying to grasp the Britney Spears effect as it was happening.

What a great observation. In the USA, the music industry did peak in 1999. I think, worldwide, the music industry peaked in 2001. I have to check worldwide sales one though, because it's been such a long time. 

On 23/6/2017 at 3:54 AM, KatLove said:

Britney was the last mega superstar who had their own MANIA, era and decade. Who since her had that? It goes The Beatles in the 60s, Michael Jackson and Madonna in the 80s, who was the 90s?, and Britney in the early 2000s.

I'd say Mariah Carey pretty much owned the 90s tbh. Everything she released in that decade was a hugely successful. Kind of like Britney in the 2000s

7 hours ago, Danishfan said:

I'd say Mariah Carey pretty much owned the 90s tbh. Everything she released in that decade was a hugely successful. Kind of like Britney in the 2000s

But she didn't have that global aura about her like Britney did or made everything an event. But Mariah in the 90s was killing it!

3 hours ago, KatLove said:

But she didn't have that global aura about her like Britney did or made everything an event. But Mariah in the 90s was killing it!

What?! Mariah was the top selling artist of the 90s. She was consistent through the whole decade releasing hit album after hit album.   Britney mania  lasted for 5 years , which is still an amazing achievement. But someone was unsure of which artist dominated the 90s and there is no doubt, that it was Mariah.   Someone overlooking that is just baffling lol. 

1 hour ago, Danishfan said:

What?! Mariah was the top selling artist of the 90s. She was consistent through the whole decade releasing hit album after hit album.   Britney mania  lasted for 5 years , which is still an amazing achievement. But someone was unsure of which artist dominated the 90s and there is no doubt, that it was Mariah.   Someone overlooking that is just baffling lol. 

I know Mariah ruled the 90s and had hit after hit and her prime lasted longer than Britney, all I am saying is that I felt she didn't have her own mania. Mania's are rare. I mean if we step away from music a bit Princess Diana had her own mania, why doesn't Kate Middleton have her own?

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, stateofgracebritney said:

Sorry, I know this thread is really really old but you said you went to Onyx in Denver?!? I watched the Denver show on YouTube recently and it’s even better than the Miami/rock in Rio ones!!! Did you enjoy your experience?

Yes it was amazing,  it’s when I officially became a Stan!  I was 17 at the time :yesplease:.  

On 6/20/2017 at 7:35 AM, PokemonSpears said:

She was everywhere.

She was everything.

It was so normal to watch her videos on TV ALL the time, and on the radio, and she would perform on so many awards shows and tv shows, and it was just so normal. You really don't know what you got til it's GONE GONE :crying1:

One could see she was obviously the best. There was no one like her. She was on a whole nother level

:crying1:

9 minutes ago, stateofgracebritney said:

That’s so cool :yesplease: I wish I could have attended to onyx tour. Nowadays the only way I can watch it is at my room with low-quality YouTube videos :crying3:

You can watch the HBO special and her primney performances.  A lot of them are HQ :hugs:

On 7/4/2017 at 1:10 PM, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

It was pure slayage. She was everywhere, on TV, on magazines, in the papers, online (I assume)... you couldn't escape Britney and her songs. The Beatles had Beatlemania, we had Britneymania. I'm glad I became a fan during Britney's prime. I met someone who said she was a big fan at the beginning of the 00s but she is no longer a fan. She does listen to Britney on the radio at times but doesn't buy her CDs any more. I know quite a few people who said they were fans back in the day and they own Britney's early albums.

That's the transition I always talk about.

In that period between ITZ and Blackout she lost many fans. And she gained most of her current fanbase after Blackout, but many original fans never came back.

40 minutes ago, stateofgracebritney said:

Thank you :crying2: you’re so lucky for watching the Denver show, it’s amazing and I think it was one of the best of the first leg!!

it isn’t exactly low quality but it’s not that high either :deadbanana: tho I loved it regardless :yesplease: 

Ooo yaaaasssss :urite:

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

That's the transition I always talk about.

In that period between ITZ and Blackout she lost many fans. And she gained most of her current fanbase after Blackout, but many original fans never came back.

That's so true. She lost me in 2007 (now Blackout is high on my list) then I came back for FF, then dipped out again until POM 2.0 in 2016. There was this definite sense from Blackout onward that she really just wasn't in it anymore, until 2016 I think. Good to be back.. but now I'm about to dip again cuz I'm so bored/disappointed!

Archived