What was it like living during Primeney era?

Brunetteknee

Guest $elfish

You hoes are so lucky you got to live when primeney was slaying :britdrown: while she was slaying in the onyx hotel tour I was learning to walk:mariahstare:I became a fan in the ff era so I didn't really witness much slayage:ohi:and I stanned in the glory era:jlostare:lucky me:jlostare:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was everywhere.

She was everything.

It was so normal to watch her videos on TV ALL the time, and on the radio, and she would perform on so many awards shows and tv shows, and it was just so normal. You really don't know what you got til it's GONE GONE :crying1:

One could see she was obviously the best. There was no one like her. She was on a whole nother level

2 hours ago, Little me said:

Hell, even tmz didn't exist at that time and in 2007, tmz was huge. I don't know how it happened but everywhere you turned, there was Britney

TMZ has a lot to thank her for. THey stalked her and that made them famous.

From my experience, I have been a fan since 1998, she was the biggest pop star from her debut until I'd dare say Blackout era (maybe even Circus?). No one could come near her, I mean Xtina was always more talented but somehow Britney always one upped every other popstar out there. Every other pop girl was in her shadow. Bieber, Selena, Ariana, Rihanna, KPerry, even Gaga could not match to how she was big at the time. And these pop stars would peak only for a year or two when Britney had been at peak for at least 5-8 years of her career. So I dont even get when I see youtube comments saying <popstar> is better than Britney. They can never!

It was awesome, I remember having my parents buy me her notebooks and everyone in school having them, I remember watching her on TRL all the time, her Making The Videos, her MTV Diary, her at awards shows, magazines, everyone new her, everyone new her songs, I remeber going to school and everyone was like "did you watch Britney's last music video?" :unbelievableney:

IT 
WAS
HEAVEN

1 hour ago, itsjames said:

TMZ has a lot to thank her for. THey stalked her and that made them famous.

From my experience, I have been a fan since 1998, she was the biggest pop star from her debut until I'd dare say Blackout era (maybe even Circus?). No one could come near her, I mean Xtina was always more talented but somehow Britney always one upped every other popstar out there. Every other pop girl was in her shadow. Bieber, Selena, Ariana, Rihanna, KPerry, even Gaga could not match to how she was big at the time. And these pop stars would peak only for a year or two when Britney had been at peak for at least 5-8 years of her career. So I dont even get when I see youtube comments saying <popstar> is better than Britney. They can never!

Ive been a fan since 98 too and yes she was huge, but it was really until 2001 that she kept going and getting bigger. Even Christina was up there too. I mean Britney and X had more documentaries done on them than anyone else. Anyway, X had a different image. Pre-Gaga, the outrageous looks and outfits weren't considered cool or unique. Both women are insanely talented in their own way. But yeah, Britney's prime was insane. 

It was fun and exciting. You could count on her: to deliver great music every time, to have a great video every time, to have a great performance every time, to do lots of promotion every time, to be candid and cute during interviews every time... Basically the opposite of what we have now. 

48 minutes ago, Little me said:

Ive been a fan since 98 too and yes she was huge, but it was really until 2001 that she kept going and getting bigger. Even Christina was up there too. I mean Britney and X had more documentaries done on them than anyone else. Anyway, X had a different image. Pre-Gaga, the outrageous looks and outfits weren't considered cool or unique. Both women are insanely talented in their own way. But yeah, Britney's prime was insane. 

Although Britney is evidently more successful though than Xtina. Proof: the madonna kiss - if you ask random person, they wouldnt remember Madonna even kissed Xtina. Xtina was Britney's rival and she came close at her success level but not close enough that I would be scared if I was Britney.

It was amazing. No amount of googling and youtube videos will give you the real feeling.  Nowadays everyone has cell phone and has immediate access to new music or videos dropping but back then we didn't and Britney premiering a video was an event... kids would skip school to not miss it!! 

I remember being really disappointed by the lack of live vocals when the Onyx Hotel Tour was aired on TV :gloria: 

"Yeah we all know she's amazing at dancing, but she'll always be amazing at dancing. Her voice will be gone in a few years like Whitney and Mariah so she should be singing live as much as possible now before it gets bad." 

How wrong I was about EVERYTHING :sickofu:

4 hours ago, JP9101 said:

she (we) needs a live ******* performance sis

we are unarmed :otears: please :wendycry:britney 

4dd8213091fc970b1d4d1741e7b7b352.gif

OMG where is this gif from?

this thread is so sad btw

Checking for updates on the Slow *** dial up internet  tryna load a pic of Brit!  :nochillbrit:

I also convinced the convenience store clerk to give that Huge Britney Pepsi poster, I hung it in my room on the wall behind my Britney Folders, most of them had "Oops" and "Stronger" photoshoot outtakes with graphics.

If you weren't there to witness Primeney, then believe us when we say that she was catapulted to superstar status so quickly that it was almost scary. People loved the Backstreet Boys and what-have-you, but Britney was this unique force all her own. When she became a household name, every single solo female popstar was immediately compared to her—and immediately disregarded. Britney was seriously untouchable: kind young woman, good vocalist, *** kitten, firestarting performer. Every song was a hit, every performance was ace, everything she did was gold.

"I'm a Slave 4 U" came out the second month of my freshman year of high school. That was 16 years ago and I'm STILL waiting on another popstar to match the effortless *** appeal and the flawless choreography that Britney gives us in that video. When In The Zone was released, particularly "Toxic", there was no denying that she was a legend of pop music. It was the pinnacle of her fame. She reigned as the princess of pop, and everybody had something to love about her.

However...she has also been the most trash-talked popstar of our generation since day one. People were incessantly picking at every single live performance, every single note she sang, every single TV appearance. As soon as she started showing a different side—her real side, or her less-Hollywood side—the media swarmed her and used it as ammo every chance they could. At the time I wasn't really a fan, but I remember being so confused by images of her smoking cigarettes, drinking with Paris and Lindsay, walking barefoot in gas stations...it made no sense, and I think the world felt the same way, hence the obsession.

It's also very important to realize that up until her meltdown, there were no smartphones (my parents didn't even have flip-style cell phones yet), and social networks were extremely primitive—only websites where you could type journal entries for your friends to read (anybody remember Xanga??). Nowadays popstars can communicate directly with fans, can stand up for themselves, can actually put up a fight. Britney was constantly victim to paparazzi swarms, stalking, and blatant disrespect. It was all so new, nobody really knew where to draw the lines.

Oddly enough, I became a mega-fan after her performance at the 2007 VMAs. Why? Because everything became so clear to me. Pre-meltdown, she was just a toy, a product of the music industry who sold her ****** appeal alongside her virginity like it all belonged to the public. I realized how horribly the world had been treating her and how much she had been disrespected and not given the decency of privacy or space that any human should be given. I bought Blackout (my first Britney album) and realized that this album was so much better than her current image in the media, so I did my best to promote it to everybody. Then naturally I just became obsessed ;)

So, in short: She was unspeakably omnipresent. She was everybody's favorite and also their favorite to pick on, but she's still here. When you hear other celebrities praise her; when you ask yourself why even now she is still given such long, detailed introductions to awards ceremonies before taking the stage; just know that there's a good reason—because it's Britney, *****.

Combine JB + Taylor Swift + and these new young pop star's hype and that was Britney's hype. She was EVERYWHERE! TV, magazines, Pepsi, music stores, music television channels, award shows. She's been the most anticipated pop singer ever, you knew you were gonna be slayed every freaking time she was gonna do something, that was guaranteed :lessons:

When you thought she couldnt do anything cooler or greater, she proved is wrong. That ******* knee injury ruined it all :meltdown:

Archived