What happened with the charts?

sarahbbyy

maybe she didnt have many #1 in the US but internationally she was a global superstar, she was everywhere, worldwide all her hits were top 10 in most countries 

you can't say the same about taylor swift or beyoncé...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Brit 97 said:

OMG this is pretty sad... so the ban was working in the us until early 2004? And what about 2002 and 2003?

Yup basically, the ban was from 2001-2004 as far as I know. I dunno when exactly or why they decided to lift it, but it was around Toxic release.

That's why songs from the Britney and ITZ era either never charted or charted really low.

Those songs only relied on sales,  because it got zero airplay.

And a lot of her singles, Jive never released as singles on CDs. We didn't have iTunes so you couldn't buy just a song/single. The songs were only on the album, which didn't count as singles sale. If you buy an album, that counts as an album sale.

So really there weren't much single sales + no radio play = no charting :crying11:

In my country, ALL her singles went #1, except Outrageous for obvious reasons.

I'm sure a lot of her singles, specially the bigger ones like Oops and Slave went #1 too in many countries, except the US. :crying2:

2 hours ago, sunkissed said:

Yup basically, the ban was from 2001-2004 as far as I know. I dunno when exactly or why they decided to lift it, but it was around Toxic release.

That's why songs from the Britney and ITZ era either never charted or charted really low.

Those songs only relied on sales,  because it got zero airplay.

And a lot of her singles, Jive never released as singles on CDs. We didn't have iTunes so you couldn't buy just a song/single. The songs were only on the album, which didn't count as singles sale. If you buy an album, that counts as an album sale.

So really there weren't much single sales + no radio play = no charting :crying11:

In my country, ALL her singles went #1, except Outrageous for obvious reasons.

I'm sure a lot of her singles, specially the bigger ones like Oops and Slave went #1 too in many countries, except the US. :crying2:

Wow I didn't know this story :( 

thank you for educating me 

Her prime years (1998-2004) happened when urban music was dominating the US charts and the Hot 100 was primarily airplay-based (physical single sales were dying; everyone was buying albums). She was at a disadvantage because her songs only did well on pop radio as opposed to other hits that smashed on both pop and urban so she charted lower. Also none of her singles then were released physically except for BOMT (which made #1), From the Bottom of My Broken Heart (which is why it charted so high at #14 even though it's not really considered a hit) and Stronger (#11). If single sales had been strong then songs like OIDIA and Toxic (both of which made #9 just on airplay) definitely would have hit #1. Toxic actually made #1 on the Digital Track Chart but digital sales weren't included in the Hot 100 yet at the time.

1. Streaming these days helps A LOT!!

2. Yes, chart spots are about HOW MANY sells a singer does but everything is about planning. Let's make an assumption:

Britney release her single "Make me" and it reaches #3 in its first week with 100,000 copies. 

The same week Katy Perry releases her single "Bon appetit" and it reaches #1 with 200,000 copies. 

2ND WEEK

Britney - #3 again with 90,000

Katy - #5 with 100,000

3RD WEEK

Britney- #3 again with 80,000

Katy - #8 with 50, 000

4TH WEEK

Britney - #5 with 60,000

Katy-#10 with 20,000

BRITNEY TOTAL: 330

KATY TOTAL: 270

That's basically what happened with Glory, Barbra Streisand blocked her to reach #1, yet the #1 album next week sold like 50% of what Glory sold in its first week. As you see, everything is about STAYING on the charts. LEAN ON by Major Lazer peaked at #4 and it was a smash hit in 2015 and it never reached the #1. 

Stop worrying about charts, sis

I mean, I know it looks and sounds good when a song hits no.1 and of course It is a special achievement, but from the times of Elvis and Beatles to the times of Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift, rules for charts have changed so many times and the whole industry has changed so that way it is not really fair to compare songs performances on charts. For example, Glory didn't hit number 1 the week it was released, but only like 2 weeks later, It would debut at no. 1 with even less copies sold than it had. Sometimes it's pure luck, coincidence or the song/album is really massive

With that being said, enjoy the music, her smile and let go of commercial performance :bigkiss:

Archived