What happened with the charts?

sarahbbyy

How is it possible that Britney has only four number one hits and only one is from her prime?

I know that there was a "radio ban" in 2001 but it was ONLY in 2001(I think). What the hell happened?

There is no way that the best selling artist of the world at the time had some of the lowest numbers.

Carrie Underwood is the top country singer, not only getting #1s on the country charts but she has the highest numbers in Billboard Hot 100 for a country artist.

Taylor Swift started getting number ones when she switched over to pop completely and her big hits here are all #1. (The Britney level ones in Taylor's discography)

3, Hold It Against Me, and Womanizer? Really? Most of them were not that big, even if they were #1 for just a week, but so was Baby One More Time. 

Can someone explain this? I heard someone tell me that there was a situation going on during that time that prevented Britney from being on the charts. It had either something to do with her label kind of messing it up for her or Jive itself was not qualified for their stars having chart success at the time because __________________........... I do not know

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IKR it frustrates me too! She could've had many #1s!!! :meltdown:

All I know is the radio ban. She chose Pepsi as her sponsor for DWAD tour and the other sponsor (forgot the name) was salty about not being chosen, and this sponsor has a lot of influece on a lot of radio stations. So, they banned or limited any Britney songs from being played from that point on up until 2004.

No airplay = No charts

Airplay, after all, was the equivalent of streaming nowadays.

They did primeney dirty those *******  :meltdown:

3 minutes ago, Dripping For Britney said:

It doesn't matter sis. Toxic was only number 9 and yet it's more iconic, innovative and memorable than every number one by Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and whoever the hell else combined :truthtea:

Yes but there is no solid proof of that. You can ask people and they will probably say the same as you but it's not the same thing as having something you could really put your hands on that you could tell people, "this song was a huge hit, see?"

2 minutes ago, sunkissed said:

IKR it frustrates me too! She could've had many #1s!!! :meltdown:

All I know is the radio ban. She chose Pepsi as her sponsor for DWAD tour and the other sponsor (forgot the name) was salty about not being chosen, and this sponsor has a lot of influece on a lot of radio stations. So, they banned or limited any Britney songs from being played from that point on up until 2004.

No airplay = No charts

Airplay, after all, was the equivalent of streaming nowadays.

They did primeney dirty those *******  :meltdown:

Whaaat? From 2001 to 2004? :meltdown:

Just now, Brit 97 said:

Yeah it's weird that she hasn't at least 7 or 8 #1 hits 

Rihanna has 11!! I mean, I like the girl and I can see why but some of her songs are surprisingly popular like SOS and others that you would be very shocked to see have #1s yet Britney has four and only 1 from her prime? That is WEIRD!

Just now, sarahbbyy said:

Yes but there is no solid proof of that. You can ask people and they will probably say the same as you but it's not the same thing as having something you could really put your hands on that you could tell people, "this song was a huge hit, see?"

Yeah, well its spotify numbers are going to continue to be way ahead of BOMT.

I think the two reasons were not releasing singles in the U.S. to sell more albums and the dominance of urban music during the early 2000's.

13 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

I think the two reasons were not releasing singles in the U.S. to sell more albums 

OMG I think that is it, the thing I heard someone say to me about why she did not have that. Thank you! My own personal mystery solved. :unbelievableney:

LOL but how would that sell more albums?

9 minutes ago, Rachel Green said:

Well maybe she hasn't had many #1s but she  Gimme More, Circus and TTWE were #3, IWG was #7, OIDIA and Toxic #9, Stronger #11.. she had many big hits regardless

Yeah, I know Rachel Green. It just did not add up because of how big she was at the time. She deserves far more awards at Billboards.

26 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

How is it possible that Britney has only four number one hits and only one is from her prime?

BOMT isn't her prime, it's from her debut era and she didn't peak with bomt.

anyway all I know is they didn't release all of the singles as cd format but I can't explain the other ones that couldn't make the number one spot

Guest Paris Hilton $
34 minutes ago, sarahbbyy said:

Alright, first, go ask to anybody in the street at which position toxic peaked, that person will probably say number 1

And United States isn't the world, most of the songs from her prime were WW success, reaching top 10 in almost all the countries where they charted except in the United States because of the radio ban. Charts are not important, Rihanna may have 11 number 1 singles but most of them are not iconic anyway

5 minutes ago, Paris Hilton $ said:

Alright, first, go ask to anybody in the street at which position toxic peaked, that person will probably say number 1

And United States isn't the world, most of the songs from her prime were WW success, reaching top 10 in almost all the countries where they charted except in the United States because of the radio ban. Charts are not important, Rihanna may have 11 number 1 singles but most of them are not iconic anyway

That's pretty much what I would say; if people are going to put weight on global sales they should also do the same with global charts and see just how many number ones Britney has.

The radio ban lasted from 2001-2003 actually because it affected all the Britney era singles and Me Against the Music. Britney got banned because she chose Pepsi to sponser her tour over Clearchannel who owns most radio stations in the US. 

She was still doing well internationally at the time so that made up for it. Also her albums sales were far better, and that's really more important than singles. 2 diamond albums, fatest selling album in its first week of release by a female artist (until Adele's 25), her first four albums all going in at #1 and overall she's had 6 #1 albums. Her tours sell well too and Vegas has been successful. A lot of super successful veteran artists make their money and have success through albums and touring. Not just singles.

Archived