if u could make one Britney-related thing viral , what would it be

Guest Diamond Horse

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Little me said:

Maybe for a short time? It fizzled because of her marriage to kevin and all the mess. I fewl like it's one of her forgotten singles.

I don't know, I was like 3 back then but from the way the video looks and the way people talked about it. I thought it was a hit. What about My Prerogative or Do Somethin'? Were those hits?

2 hours ago, Britneyfan1334 said:

I don't know, I was like 3 back then but from the way the video looks and the way people talked about it. I thought it was a hit. What about My Prerogative or Do Somethin'? Were those hits?

Don't know if they can be considered hits, but here in Latin America they were still treated like "Britney hits", like, every video she would release, would still be on top of the countdowns in MTV, etc. I don't think those videos ever reached the #1 spot, but they were still in the Top 10 / Top 20. Someday was the last one that was treated like a classic Britney song.

From GM on, she started to land lower and lower in the yearly countdowns. So it's very subjective to judge which ones were hits or not. One can only consider the US sales or popularity, but for me a true hit has international recognition. MP and DS were more recognized (at least internationally) than IUSA or Radar, to say something, even if probably the latter sold more copies.

From this decade, I think the only ones I've seen that were still somewhat "hits" in Latin America (based on music tv channels :P) were, from most popular to least:

1. I Wanna Go (they would still play it on 2013)
  2. Scream & Shout
  3. Work ***** (they even played it on a Latin Music oriented channel)
  4. Ooh La La (they would play it non-stop till early 2014)
    Just on VH1:
  5. Criminal / Perfume (they slayed the VH1 Top 20 in late 2011-early2012 and 2014 respectively)

In my case I've always measured her popularity from music videos. If we consider her sales in Mexico or Latin America, probably they aren't that much. Nonetheless, she was always very popular and her songs were very well known, and that was because of the music videos. She used to be played on radio a lot as well. So, here, songs like Overprotected or I Love Rock 'N' Roll were very popular, and probably only sold like 3 actual copies. Now MTV and the other music channels aren't what they used to be back in the day, but currently they've been controlled by Bieber fans, 1D fans, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, etc. and there aren't any Britney fans rooting for her on the landscape to ask for her videos or so. Plus now I think the channels are very influenced by the popularity songs have on the internet. 

Archived