What was your reaction when Piece of Me (the song and music video) came out??

Dynasty

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

It is actually the other way around. Probably if it had better videos I would like it a little bit more. Actually, if it wasn't for the BTI video, I would've probably stopped being her fan. She had never done such awful videos before, maybe a little bit boring, like Broken Heart, but they were always high quality videos, and all of a sudden she released not one, but two horrible videos in a row. I was starting to believe it was gonna get just worse and worse each time.

She wasn't in the right conditions to shoot any videos. They should've waited a few months to start promoting the album. She clearly wasn't in a good place. Doing an animated video for BTI was the smartest decision they could've taken. And she got better. I actually think she could've released one more single in let's say, April 2008 or May and she could've saved the Blackout era with a decent video. But thank God Womanizer and Circus would come out later in the year.

I mean, the POM video is probably better than anything Keesha has released, or Ashlee Simpson or something like that, but compared to the rest of the videos of Britney Spears, it is just very bad.

Or maybe because you like her fake videos in which she plays a character of a blond superstar whose life is totally fine and is always confident about herself. I get that. We all like that Britneh. But let me tell you Blackout is so loved because it had authenticity in it, something britney has been lacking ever since she forced herself to be that blond superstar again as quickly as she could, as if that was going to save her career, which it actyally did the opposite. 

Piece of me is maybe her more authentic video ever cause what we see is just how she was at the time, she was not so confident, she was afraid, she needed to be loved, she was angry she felt betrayed, and you can see all that on her expressions on the video. It wasnt a huge production which is ok. Even blackout cover with her dark hair is so iconic. It felt like wow, ok now its time for the truth. It felt like everything that happened before was a lie or something and she was clearing things up. 

Im glad she grew up from all those feelings but who would ever know if she contiued her music and image on that direction who would have happened to her as an artist

I honestly loved all of the blackout videos. I mean I didn't know there was an alternate GM but aside from the random clips of blonde wigney and thatdude I loved it. I was mortified w the VMA performance (notsure which came first video r performance) but the videos were sassy, fun, simple and raw but in a good way. They matched her life and music. It could've been better but I really felt like the simplicity of the videos showed how even in such a chaotic time there was that genuine love for performing. Like MM, may have been too much and resulted in the hot mess- sometimes less is more

I memorized that little choreo in POM lol

8 hours ago, BritneyLover said:

Or maybe because you like her fake videos in which she plays a character of a blond superstar whose life is totally fine and is always confident about herself. I get that. We all like that Britneh. But let me tell you Blackout is so loved because it had authenticity in it, something britney has been lacking ever since she forced herself to be that blond superstar again as quickly as she could, as if that was going to save her career, which it actyally did the opposite. 

Piece of me is maybe her more authentic video ever cause what we see is just how she was at the time, she was not so confident, she was afraid, she needed to be loved, she was angry she felt betrayed, and you can see all that on her expressions on the video. It wasnt a huge production which is ok. Even blackout cover with her dark hair is so iconic. It felt like wow, ok now its time for the truth. It felt like everything that happened before was a lie or something and she was clearing things up. 

Im glad she grew up from all those feelings but who would ever know if she contiued her music and image on that direction who would have happened to her as an artist

It might be true that everything related to Blackout was a reflection of what was happening to her. That's precisely the problem. In theory that sounds cool, but when we know all the things she was going through, the erratic behavior, how unhappy she was, and all the negative things we don't have to mention, why would I be happy with all of those negative things reflecting on her career? She was not her. She was in a really, really bad place in her life at the moment, and that's the Britney that dared to do this record and these videos.

Everything that came out before Blackout was also her. I mean, yeah, there was a huge machinery behind her, but what was a 16 years old girl supposed to do by herself? but at the end of the day, she was the one that came out with the ideas of all of her early music videos, which happen to be the best, the outfits, the performances, the tours. That's the Britney I fell in love with, and it seems to me that most of you, I know that not all of you, but the majority that are in here, became fans because of Blackout, so what you're basically saying is that ya'll didn't like anything of what she released before, which is valid, but that's the only explanation I can find to someone, which was a fan since BOMT, not feeling sad and depressed when they watched the GM videoclip or the POM one, in this case. I repeat what I said in other comment, they might be good compared to other artists, but compared to OIDIA, Stronger, Toxic, MATM, Slave, Overprotected, Crazy, Lucky, etc, it's just, we can't even compare them. That other guy saying POM is the new Toxic, I BEG YOUR PARDON :wtf: That's almost insulting. :wontcry:

I can understand, well, try to understand, that all of you believe Blackout is the best album and whatever, like, speaking of the music and stuff, but saying the videoclips, even implying the idea that the Gimme More video or the Piece of Me video are somewhere near the top of her entire career, or even crazier, saying they are actually her best videos, that's living in a completely different reality. That's just insane. Because not only everything that she did before Blackout is better, but also everything she's done after it as well.

Even if we tried to believe the concepts of the videos were Britney's ideas, the true Britney would've come up with something so much classier, she would've cared more about the aesthetic aspect of the videos, her looks, everything. It doesn't matter how "authentic" they were, all of their multiple versions are just plain ugly, the shots, the colors, the whole vibe, I don't know, it's just :ugh: It would be more easy for me to understand if ya'll were rooting for Circus, or Womanizer, or I Wanna Go, or Work *****, HIAM, but POM? :sobbing: Even the true Britney herself showed her feelings about POM getting her her first moonmen, admitting she had done things before that were by far better.

And as a final note, I'm always been of the idea of don't giving a damn about if what she does is relatable to her personal life or not. She's an artist and what she does doesn't have to be biographical or representative of what she's living at the moment. If it is, well that's fine, but if it isn't, that's so much better, because part of the artistry is precisely the ability to portray a character different than herself in situations that she would never experience in real life, and yet being able to transmit something positive with the final result. So for me that authenticity doesn't matter, and in the particular case of Blackout and the whole era, any value her authenticity could have is cancelled when I remember she was acting under the influence of all the negative stuff she was going through, and she wasn't taking decisions from a clear state of mind. But, if I ever cared to see something reflecting her true self in the music, then I would choose the current Britney because she's clearly the best she's been in years, and as you mentioned, that at the time Blackout came out it felt like everything she did before was a lie, and things were clearing up, now I'm SO happy to see that the actual lie was the whole Blackout era, and things cleared up to show us it all was just a phase, and the true Britney is what we see nowadays.

HA.

I distinctly remember some meltdowns, not as bad as when GM was released but let's just say the video was obviously lacking....a budget.

No one can tell me that her team didn't buy those MTV awards...Video of the Year? HA.

Anyways, considering the only other videos that era were GM and BTI then POM was flawless.

12 hours ago, button said:

He is a britney jean stan and calls that piece of **** a good album, don't take his Gimme more/piece of me/Blackout criticism seriously

@PokemonSpears :lostney: :unreal: 

11 hours ago, Stan2092 said:

I thought "Piece of Me is new Toxic". The song has got fresh beat, good lyric and amazing tune  :bparty:

Now Britney has got 3 MTV VMA for Piece Of Me. Deservedly!

The new Toxic?  :hahaha:  The sound,  it's a great/rare sound, the MV,  hell no.. 

And it won 3 awards because it was clearly meant to be that way to fix the mess she did in the 2007. 

2 hours ago, Million Billion said:

huh? :sassybrit:  I've always thought the same about Blackout, even before Britney Jean existed. I do think BJ is better, but that's something completely independent of what I think about B5.

Actually thanks to albums like FF, BJ all the stuff she's released after Balckout I've been able to appreciate that album a little bit, now that I've seen that she (thank God) didn't stick to that sound or style, and is still able to release good pop music. So I see it as her little identity crisis phase where she tried a different approach, and that's it.

And despite everything, I wouldn't call Blackout a piece of **** in a million years, just because it's a Britney album, but there you get to see who is a real fan of Britney Spears.

7 hours ago, Million Billion said:

She did a free concert in my country,  when will you who have to pay?  :staysalty:

But yes, being named in a Britney song would be so cool :unbelievableney:

jealous tbh... crying RN!!!! How dare you sis! :lostney::sobbing:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-16 at 0:45 AM, PokemonSpears said:

It might be true that everything related to Blackout was a reflection of what was happening to her. That's precisely the problem. In theory that sounds cool, but when we know all the things she was going through, the erratic behavior, how unhappy she was, and all the negative things we don't have to mention, why would I be happy with all of those negative things reflecting on her career? She was not her. She was in a really, really bad place in her life at the moment, and that's the Britney that dared to do this record and these videos.

Everything that came out before Blackout was also her. I mean, yeah, there was a huge machinery behind her, but what was a 16 years old girl supposed to do by herself? but at the end of the day, she was the one that came out with the ideas of all of her early music videos, which happen to be the best, the outfits, the performances, the tours. That's the Britney I fell in love with, and it seems to me that most of you, I know that not all of you, but the majority that are in here, became fans because of Blackout, so what you're basically saying is that ya'll didn't like anything of what she released before, which is valid, but that's the only explanation I can find to someone, which was a fan since BOMT, not feeling sad and depressed when they watched the GM videoclip or the POM one, in this case. I repeat what I said in other comment, they might be good compared to other artists, but compared to OIDIA, Stronger, Toxic, MATM, Slave, Overprotected, Crazy, Lucky, etc, it's just, we can't even compare them. That other guy saying POM is the new Toxic, I BEG YOUR PARDON :wtf: That's almost insulting. :wontcry:

I can understand, well, try to understand, that all of you believe Blackout is the best album and whatever, like, speaking of the music and stuff, but saying the videoclips, even implying the idea that the Gimme More video or the Piece of Me video are somewhere near the top of her entire career, or even crazier, saying they are actually her best videos, that's living in a completely different reality. That's just insane. Because not only everything that she did before Blackout is better, but also everything she's done after it as well.

Even if we tried to believe the concepts of the videos were Britney's ideas, the true Britney would've come up with something so much classier, she would've cared more about the aesthetic aspect of the videos, her looks, everything. It doesn't matter how "authentic" they were, all of their multiple versions are just plain ugly, the shots, the colors, the whole vibe, I don't know, it's just :ugh: It would be more easy for me to understand if ya'll were rooting for Circus, or Womanizer, or I Wanna Go, or Work *****, HIAM, but POM? :sobbing: Even the true Britney herself showed her feelings about POM getting her her first moonmen, admitting she had done things before that were by far better.

And as a final note, I'm always been of the idea of don't giving a damn about if what she does is relatable to her personal life or not. She's an artist and what she does doesn't have to be biographical or representative of what she's living at the moment. If it is, well that's fine, but if it isn't, that's so much better, because part of the artistry is precisely the ability to portray a character different than herself in situations that she would never experience in real life, and yet being able to transmit something positive with the final result. So for me that authenticity doesn't matter, and in the particular case of Blackout and the whole era, any value her authenticity could have is cancelled when I remember she was acting under the influence of all the negative stuff she was going through, and she wasn't taking decisions from a clear state of mind. But, if I ever cared to see something reflecting her true self in the music, then I would choose the current Britney because she's clearly the best she's been in years, and as you mentioned, that at the time Blackout came out it felt like everything she did before was a lie, and things were clearing up, now I'm SO happy to see that the actual lie was the whole Blackout era, and things cleared up to show us it all was just a phase, and the true Britney is what we see nowadays.

Sorry for the delay,i just read this. Im a fan since the very begining with BOmt and i get what you say. But maybe just because i got a breakdown myself is that i find blackout so relatable and authentic and im also a dancer who lives from the way i look and everything and i know that like you say, the britney from the earlier times and the actual vritney are the real one but that one was also a deep real one, the fragile one, the one who said **** the looks **** the people who want everything from me, **** the ones who used me, and if you ask me i thing the britney we have now is someone who returned to sanity but also learned how to cope witj those people instead of fighting them like she herself stated on circus eraon for the record. I really think she does have a mental illness that now she is aware of and thats why she keeps this people around her just a few people that proved to accept her and lately accept her choices like scrapping a whole video or doing or not soing something. I really think from 2008 up to 2013 britney was heavily controlled. Since PoM residency she found herself her ego her voice her choice its like something returned. Its obvios she defines her priorities, that are her sons. I hope she some day surprises us with return of the artist she is. I feel somehow she sold herself as an object so much that she turned out to accept it. She lost all of that artistry she had at the begginig that we all fell in love with. Cause she was a teen pop star yes but she did amazing things, she sang live she danced so many types of dance mves, she sang live jazz sstuff, she did a movie, she played the piano, it feels like come on... I love how she is being fierce and dancing more now but all of that is gone i hope not dead

10 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

I didn't have a reaction, because I never heard the song until 2011. :gloria: And by then, I Wanna Go had already come out and done everything POM wanted to do and said everything POM wanted to say... Like, way better. And she looked hotter and younger in IWG than she did in POM, which was shocking. So... Yeah. :angietea: 

Now that's what I forgot to mention that other day, whenever it was that I replied that enormous comment lol 

I Wanna Go, THAT's how Britney Spears makes a video about confronting the paparazzi: she looked great, for the FF standards, it was funny, it looks fresh, the colors of the video are really pleasant, the song is great. If POM was half as good as IWG, probably I would put it at least 5 spots higher on my top :P

Guest Arckangel
On 15/05/2017 at 10:52 AM, coo said:

1. this is the fiercest song i've ever heard. instant bop.

2. the autotune is ******* real, its kinda irritating. mind you at that time the use of THAT much of autotune was rare.

and about the video i love it, esp the bathroom dance part. but hate how they cut it into pieces. little did i know her dance videos since then will be cut much worse (hiam, wb, CIRCUS :byebitch:)

Autotune as in pitch correction? I never ever noticed such thing (besides the regular computerized filters/effects, which I like).

I, for one, love the video. Looks like a million bucks to me, and I think she looks quite good in it. Considering what she was going through at the time, it's a miracle it even got done. As for rumours she was slimmed down... So what?

Archived