What was your initial reaction to hearing Gimme More?

Body Ache.

I guess the first time I heard it would have been at the VMAs? I honestly don't remember, because I didn't become a real fan until Blackout anyways.

I just know I was super curious about what the highly anticipated "return of Britney Spears" was going to be like, and really impressed by how dark and **** and catchy the song was. It fit right in with Sexyback and The Way I Are, and was playing wherever I went out during my freshman year of college. So I was really into it, and I'm pretty sure it got me to download most of Blackout after it leaked before the official release. 

But the VMA performance was SUCH a huge topic. We even discussed it in one of my design classes - particularly the symbolism of the chandelier backdrop, and the Warholian nature of celebrity as performance art and whether she acted a mess on purpose. 

The song itself was a huge topic too because it seemed like everyone was really surprising themselves by how much they liked it. I worked at Aldo during college, and I remember the song playing in the store soon after it came out and the district manager (this guy in his 50s) remarking on how catchy the song was.

Gimme More & Blackout changed my life, so that Womanizer was able to bring it to a whole other level.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/5/2017 at 9:08 PM, Body Ache. said:

Where were you and what was your first reaction to hearing Gimme More? I am listening rn and truly have forgotten how iconic this song is. "It's Britney, *****" is so iconic nowadays, but I wanna know what you guys thought after turning on the song and wondering how it was gonna sound, and then hearing "it's Britney, *****" and all of the other fantastic moans including the "Ow!!"

I was like "okay" :ponderney:
I was expecting something more "intense" regarding the lyrics and the vocals... but it started slaying the **** out of my gay *** after the second or third listening. I love it right now, it's one of my absolute faves and I wouldn't change a thing!

On 5/6/2017 at 3:25 PM, Applejack said:

It turned me into a fan and made me pay attention to her.

pretty much. I always liked her since BOMT but i became a stan thanks to Blackout. 

I remember I was at school and rushed to listen at one of the school's computer rooms and was so shocked with it, so slayed, I was like this ***** is coming for the kill and plans on taking over the world. Welcome crazy, ******, bad ***** Britney. To this day it's still one of my top 3 Britney songs of all time.

giphy.gif

Archived