List of singles that underperformed in the US

Cedric

BOMT ERA :

Baby One More Time : Seeing how iconic it is, I think that at least it deserved to stay at the top spot 8 weeks or 9.

You Drive Me Crazy : Deserved so haaaaaaard the top 5

OIDIA ERA :

OIDIA : Where is the top 3 girl?

Lucky : Deserved a top 10 so hard, it's one of Britney's best singles

BRITNEY ERA :

I'm A Slave 4 U : Deserved top 10, but I find that obvious that it underperformed seeing the controversy around and how Britney's new image was bad seen

Overprotected : A BOP.  Top 20.

ITZ ERA : 

MATM : The only collaboration of Madonna should have peaked inside the top 15, but this basic hoe was banned from radios

Toxic : Remember when we learnt that it could have peaked at #1 if Billboard's rules allowed the digital sales? I still can't.

Everytime: A top 5.

BLACKOUT ERA :

Gimme More : Deserved the top spot during one or two weeks

Piece Of Me : Top 10

CIRCUS ERA :

Radar : It deserved the top 20, it's one of Britney's best songs, literally.

BRITNEY JEAN ERA :

Work ***** : Deserved a top 10 so haaaard!

Perfume: It was an excellent ballad that had potential, could have been top 20 and staying a long time in the Hot 100.

Feel free to express your point of view!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much all of these things you pointed out were actually true for UK, she has waaaay more top 10's, baby, oops, born to make you happy, toxic, everytime and s & s were all no.1, with songs like not a girl and MATM reached no.2... however she's REALLY gone down the charts since Work ***** (no. 7 I think). Preying for a big UK hit soon....

1 hour ago, Chris343 said:

Pretty much all of these things you pointed out were actually true for UK, she has waaaay more top 10's, baby, oops, born to make you happy, toxic, everytime and s & s were all no.1, with songs like not a girl and MATM reached no.2... however she's REALLY gone down the charts since Work ***** (no. 7 I think). Preying for a big UK hit soon....

So hard to see that her home country doesn't support her at all when it's about radio! But let's not forget that it's easier to have a top 10, even a top 5 in the UK when we see that they have got a new #1 at least every week when there is not an earthquake-song like Shape of You or Uptown Funk

1 hour ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

(You Drive Me) Crazy- top 5

OIDIA- #1

Slave- Top 20 at least

Overprotected- Top 40 at least

MATM- Top 20

Toxic- #1

Everytime- Top 10

Circus- #1

IUSA- Top 15

Perfume- Top 40 at least

Make Me- Top 10

Slumber Party- Top 30 at least

Also DLMBTLTK and NAGNYAW deserved to at least chart on the Hot 100

Totally forgot that DLMBTLK didn't chart on the Hot 100! Ugh it's such a pretty song, Shania did that! I think that Circus could have peaked at #1 if the week it was released was a week prior or after, it debuted at #3 after all !

22 minutes ago, Cedric said:

Totally forgot that DLMBTLK didn't chart on the Hot 100! Ugh it's such a pretty song, Shania did that! I think that Circus could have peaked at #1 if the week it was released was a week prior or after, it debuted at #3 after all !

The problem with Circus was that it sold a ton when the album was released and hit #1 on itunes, but the actual single didn't come out till a week later if they had released the single the same week as the album or week before radio play would've been high enough to help push it to #1 along with the combined sales between the album/single version. 

Just now, lustwecantcontrol said:

The problem with Circus was that it sold a ton when the album was released and hit #1 on itunes, but the actual single didn't come out till a week later if they had released the single the same week as the album or week before radio play would've been high enough to help push it to #1 along with the combined sales between the album/single version. 

Now, we have to think that if Circus was released the same week as the album, could it have sold more than Live Your Life or Single Ladies this week?

I'd say MOST of Britney's singles that were released in the US:

BOMT: BOMT (#1 for more weeks), Sometimes (top 20), Crazy (top 5)

OIDIA: OIDIA (#1 or at least top 3), Lucky (top 20), Stronger (top 10), DLMBTLTK (top 20)

Britney: Slave (top 10), Not a Girl (top 20 - one of her most beautiful ballads), Overprotected (top 10), Boys (top 30)

ITZ: MATM (top 30), Toxic (#1 or top 5), Everytime (top 5)

Blackout: BTI (top 20)

Circus: IUSA (top 10)

BJ: WB (top 10)

Glory: MM (top 10), SP (top 30)

54 minutes ago, Cedric said:

i think DLMBTLTK was ahead of its time. It would have been a bigger hit if released during FF or BJ

26 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

i think DLMBTLTK was ahead of its time. It would have been a bigger hit if released during FF or BJ

It was the beginning of Slutney how could US radio ignore that masterpiece when its video went #1 in TRL i can't

2 minutes ago, Darna said:

It was the beginning of Slutney how could US radio ignore that masterpiece when its video went #1 in TRL i can't

she didn't promote it. she only sang it on tour and just before the Oops era started. Maybe she wanted it as a second single and they pushed Lucky instead 

4 minutes ago, Dark.Knight said:

she didn't promote it. she only sang it on tour and just before the Oops era started. Maybe she wanted it as a second single and they pushed Lucky instead 

She didn't promote it in UK either and it reached #12. And it probably didn't help to that it was only released as radio-only single (like most of her releases). Stronger was had a weak radio support but was able to reach #11 due to physical single sales.

Primeney technically underperformed on the charts, but nearly all of her singles became iconic, genre-defining smash hits regardless of their chart performance :lollipop:

It's no secret, tho, that her team mishandled most of her singles (no physical discs, sloppy releases, radio blacklist from DWAD tour, etc..) BUT we can't forget Britney was a massive album seller - AKA how artists made money before the iTunes generation. Britney didn't need her singles to do incredibly well considering how big she was.

• TOP 3 - (You Drive Me) Crazy
  • TOP 1  - Oops!...I Did It Again
  • TOP 3 - Stronger
  • TOP 5 - I'm a Slave 4 U
  • TOP 10 - Overprotected
  • TOP 1 - Toxic
  • TOP 5 - Everytime
  • TOP 20 - Do Somethin' (It charted even not being released on the Usa)
  • TOP 1 - Gimme More
  • TOP 10 - Piece Of Me
  • TOP 10 - Break The Ice
  • TOP 5 - Radar (This song is flawless, it had everything to slay, all the wrong decisions they did with)
  • TOP 20 - Slumber Party

Archived