I don't understand how Work ***** is so well-known

Urbanney

2 hours ago, ITZFFGL said:

when will some of you realize that iTunes is becoming a non-factor? it is not 2010. STREAMING is key and make me has shitty streaming numbers and it had shitty streaming numbers after the VMAs, only peaking at #33, the highest it reached in its entire run. that is tragic and not the position of a "hit" song. radio gave up on the song because IT WASN'T POPULAR ANYWHERE. harry styles just got #1 on digital songs w 140k copies. remember when Britney debuted w 400k with hold it against me? times have changed. iTunes positions mean nothing. make me did not connect with the public; that's why radio dropped it and that's why it failed.

You do know the people Brought the record as evident by its increase after her VMA performace, so what the hell are you talking the song did not connect with the public

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Kiiddy said:

I feel the fans really appreciate and loved the difference in sound and direction for Glory.
It was refreshing for us, as it wasn't a sound Britney usually goes for and I liked that.
She not only did it so well, but gave us a very big album with 17/18 tracks. Its held up very high in the Britney fan club.
I love MM. I love the entire Glory album and think its one of her best. Its definitely in my holy trinity as well.

Though I have to admit... the sound isn't typical Britney.
I think that was a problem for the GP because they look to Britney for ****, catchy pop music.
They're expecting some good pop, dance, electronica, edm and maybe a little house elements thrown in there too.
That's always been the sound Britney has done SOOO well with and really dominated too. They love that from her.
She clearly decided she wanted to get away from that for this album and do something a little different and 'very chill' as she said.
I think the GP thought it sounded good, as when you watch a lot of album reaction videos they all thought she did rather well... 
but they all seem to respond in the same way, in that they were completely surprised by the sound and direction she went in.
Instead they were expecting and wanting club banger Britney and ultimately prefer her more for that typical signature sound she does.
That's at least what I have got from non-fans in both real-life and from reaction videos anyway.
It's definitely also a combination of everything that's already been mentioned as well tbh.

I think for B10 and her 20th anniversary she should revisit the sound people really love her for.
Something along the lines of Gimme More as a lead single for that high radio play and for it to be on loop in the clubs.
Album wise she should have an album that's a mix or melting pot of all her best albums throughout her career, but more current and done uniquely ofc.

At the end of the day though it just comes down to exposure. Work ***** was attention grabbing. Make Me was chill. It's no mystery why the attention grabbing song got more exposure.

Make Me... is a great song, but that horrible video ruined it. If it serves as a consolation, the audio clip has over 26M views, which is pretty impressive for an audio clip, at least for Britney Spears.

Overall, I think Work ***** had more impact internationally, I really don't know the statistics, but I suppose a huge part of the views come from other countries rather than the US. Plus it apparently is very popular among gym playlists and stuff. Despite EDM stopped being the trend in pop music nowadays, for some reason Work ***** doesn't feel as outdated as Scream & Shout or other songs by other artists. It is so odd, that it stayed timeless, as a classic Britney lead single would do, except for maybe MATM.

As some have said, WB came after the success of S&S if we put OLL in a parentheses. People were still interested in Britney. Perfume was what started the damage, the public being totally unaware of it, and they finished it with leaving the whole 2014 without new singles.

PG got lots of views too, it is actually her fastest certified video, but it is her most disliked one, and I think the parodies were what made all the people go and watch it.

So MM comes after it, nobody is checking for her anymore. If they released Tom's Diner with a proper videoclip before starting the new era, it would've flopped but it would've cleaned her image a little bit, it would've erased the memory of PG, but it would've brought the attention back to Britney, because it was very edgy and artsy-fartsy.

The MM video didn't help at all. No one wants to watch that video two times in a row, even if the song is decent. It isn't also THAT bad that people can make fun of it or criticize it, or make parodies of it, like PG, so it's just like, meh...

Oh, what I wanted to add about WB and international views is that for example, here in Mexico there are several music tv channels, and there is this one called Ritmoson which only plays music by Hispanic artists, unless the artist has done something in Spanish, like Christina, JLo, even Selena Gomez, etc. So they never play Britney. The other exception where they play videos in English was a show dedicated to EDM music. WB was played there a lot, winning countdowns and stuff. Ya'll underestimate the power of Latin countries, but look at Shakira's views, Enrique Iglesias, Maluma, etc. Britney could have the power of those countries for her favor if she wanted to, but she's neglected her international audiences in the recent years. So that's what I think WB had more views that came from other countries, unlike other singles like Perfume, Make Me... etc

I think it was because the song is catchy and good. The song that you expect to be released by Brit. And the video was pretty good.

Make Me is amazing (in my opinion is better than Work *****) but it was different and we were all really excited with the original video and then the released one destroyed everything and it didn't made any impact. In fact, everyone was talking about how they scrapped the first video. Not to mention that there were several weeks between the song release, the video and the promo. It was a mess even with a better promo.

4 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Make Me... is a great song, but that horrible video ruined it. If it serves as a consolation, the audio clip has over 26M views, which is pretty impressive for an audio clip, at least for Britney Spears.

Overall, I think Work ***** had more impact internationally, I really don't know the statistics, but I suppose a huge part of the views come from other countries rather than the US. Plus it apparently is very popular among gym playlists and stuff. Despite EDM stopped being the trend in pop music nowadays, for some reason Work ***** doesn't feel as outdated as Scream & Shout or other songs by other artists. It is so odd, that it stayed timeless, as a classic Britney lead single would do, except for maybe MATM.

As some have said, WB came after the success of S&S if we put OLL in a parentheses. People were still interested in Britney. Perfume was what started the damage, the public being totally unaware of it, and they finished it with leaving the whole 2014 without new singles.

PG got lots of views too, it is actually her fastest certified video, but it is her most disliked one, and I think the parodies were what made all the people go and watch it.

So MM comes after it, nobody is checking for her anymore. If they released Tom's Diner with a proper videoclip before starting the new era, it would've flopped but it would've cleaned her image a little bit, it would've erased the memory of PG, but it would've brought the attention back to Britney, because it was very edgy and artsy-fartsy.

The MM video didn't help at all. No one wants to watch that video two times in a row, even if the song is decent. It isn't also THAT bad that people can make fun of it or criticize it, or make parodies of it, like PG, so it's just like, meh...

Make Me went #1 on itunes when it was released

Seen an increase in sales after her VMA performance, debut and peaked at #17 on the hot 100 but you say nobody was checking for her.

1 hour ago, maquisl said:

I think it was because the song is catchy and good. The song that you expect to be released by Brit. And the video was pretty good.

Make Me is amazing (in my opinion is better than Work *****) but it was different and we were all really excited with the original video and then the released one destroyed everything and it didn't made any impact. In fact, everyone was talking about how they scrapped the first video. Not to mention that there were several weeks between the song release, the video and the promo. It was a mess even with a better promo.

The song seen a huge increase on itunes after her VMA performance

9 hours ago, Queen'sGuard said:

That is just the kind of music the gp wants from Britney. 

I do agree that it's strange that Britney Jean was such a flop with that as a first single. I remember being so hyped. And then it was like wait what? 

but they like Make Me too which went #1 on itunes after its release and seen an in crease in sales on itunes after her VMA performance

• Super Mods
19 hours ago, ifuseekari said:

Make Me on the other hand is so different from what Britney has done and I think due to the fact that BJ didn't do so well - many didn't really check up on Britney after the era.

Make Me is so underrated tbh. The song is FAR from being boring :byebitch:. I think it's really timeless and I'm still not tired of the song tbh. It sounds SO SO good.  I feel like it was sabotaged by the scrapped MV. Imagine having a great 1st single with a great MV - that would have at least helped a little bit tbh.

Despite not having the commercial success that it deserves, MM is definitely one of Britney's best singles to date.  :verycool:

Omg yas sis educate the lessers!! :tiffanycries: Iconic song remains iconic and unbothered. :nynod:

1 hour ago, Cappycorn87 said:

Make Me went #1 on itunes when it was released

Seen an increase in sales after her VMA performance, debut and peaked at #17 on the hot 100 but you say nobody was checking for her.

Yeah, but Make Me... sold 96,000 copies in its first week, Work ***** sold 174,000. And when I say nobody was checking for her, I didn't only mean the US, but other countries as well.

Make Me... topped the US Dance Club Songs (I still don't comprehend what they consider as a Dance Club Song...) and WB peaked at #2, that's the only thing it did better. But overall, Make Me... only entered the Top 15 internationally in New Zealand, Hungary, Finland, Israel and France, while WB did it in almost 20 countries. That's why I say WB had a bigger impact in the international audience, because people were still aware of Britney. 3 years later, with basically no singles, since Perfume and Pretty Girls didn't do anything to help her career, so MM comes out unnoticed, in a time when nobody was expecting something from Britney, and even less a slow song like MM. And I don't even wanna go to the Slumber Party topic, but the thing is that independently of which song is better, for me it's pretty logical that WB is more recognized by the GP than MM. Like, as opposed to the OP, I'm not surprised by the fact that people knows WB more than MM.

16 hours ago, ChrisTheLoner said:

Okay I love both WB and MM so I'm not gonna stand for people saying that MM is "boring" :byebitch:

MM is far from being boring and tbh I think it's one of her best lead singles despite having a bad video :staysalty:

It doesn't matter if someone says it's boring. It's a beast of song and  some people get it and some don't. To me, it's perfect. 

Archived