Britney's new Wikipedia picture is good (at last)

Lemon

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Psuedonym said:

People complaining need to chill and realize that professional pictures cost money and Wikipedia articles can generally only use freely available images.  :grimace:

Actually, Wikipedia only uses professional photos with celebrities, and only the owner of the photograph can change the image.

15 hours ago, danny1994 said:

Actually, Wikipedia only uses professional photos with celebrities, and only the owner of the photograph can change the image.

That's not true and doesn't make sense. There are plenty of articles with pictures that are suitable but not taken by professionals. Wikipedia prefers professional photos if they meet all of their fair use guidelines. And as far as changing the photograph, anyone can change it, regardless of whether it was the person who uploaded/took a professional photo or not. 

It's okay but i do think a picture of her from the BBMAs/VMAs would have been better. Watch it get changed back to the wango tango one though. I remember a while ago they had her pic changed to one from the Apple Music Festival for a few days but then it got changed back to the wango tango one.

1 hour ago, Psuedonym said:

That's not true and doesn't make sense. There are plenty of articles with pictures that are suitable but not taken by professionals. Wikipedia prefers professional photos if they meet all of their fair use guidelines. And as far as changing the photograph, anyone can change it, regardless of whether it was the person who uploaded/took a professional photo or not. 

Then you try to change it.

Maybe it doesn't necessarily need to be taken by a professional photographer, but the uploader must own the photograph. 

Here's some Wikipedia guidelines regarding uploading photos and copyright-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Uploading_images

22 hours ago, Kiiddy said:

WTF!!!!!

WHY THE **** CAN'T THEY JUST USE BBMANEY OR VMANEY FROM LAST YEAR OR A PROFESSIONAL PHOTO TAKEN FROM HER GLORY ERA INSTEAD OF JUST A RANDOM PIC OF HER HALF WAY THROUGH A RANDOM *** POM DATE WHERE SHE'S GOT ALL SWEATY????

I JUST CANT ANY MORE!!!!

:meltdown:

They can't use it because of copyright. Same thing with the BBMAs, iHeart, etc.

1 hour ago, danny1994 said:

Then you try to change it.

Maybe it doesn't necessarily need to be taken by a professional photographer, but the uploader must own the photograph. 

Here's some Wikipedia guidelines regarding uploading photos and copyright-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Uploading_images

I'm not trying to change it. I'm very aware of Wikipedia's copyright guidelines and I've been saying exactly what's in that link, but thanks. 

I would not be at all surprised if the picture gets changed back soon anyway. There are better POM pictures than that one available for use on the page, such as this one: (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Britney_Spears_'Piece_of_Me'_-_Las_Vegas_IMG_6314_(27415485192)_(CROP).jpg), however, the Wango Tango picture is still more professional and even though it's not current, it's not outdated to the point where Britney looks nothing like that anymore. What we really need is a professional red carpet photo, like the Wango Tango picture, that Wikipedia has the rights to, however the chances of that happening are quite unlikely.

On 4/16/2017 at 5:04 PM, jennyj said:

Who decides what pic goes up there?  I remember the pic needs to be non-copyrighted, but there's so much better recent ones that are free to use.

Wikipedia's users have to come to a consensus, which means it needs to be put to a vote and users choose what they want represented. The last time there was a consensus, the Wango Tango picture was kept. Since then, it's been changed before and then just reverted back to the Wango Tango picture, because a consensus hasn't been reached on a new picture. Any registered user is welcome to open up a discussion on Britney's Wikipedia talk page.

Archived