Glory Era Autopsy

celebration2009

4 hours ago, Pedro Dantas said:

Glory is dead. No third single (hope Team B proves me wrong). It's time to ask:

What mistakes were made during the era?

What could have been done better?

What was done well?

I'm just happy with the album. I know the albums and any singles/videos we get while POM are going on are basically dog bones being thrown to the fans that don't really give a **** about POM. 

The one mistake is an imo thing and I admit I'm probably in the minority here. I hate "Make Me". Had nothing to do with the video, I hated the song as a whole. Imo it was the weakest lead single Britney's ever released. It wasn't even a 'grower' for me.  I enjoyed Slumber Party--both songs and the video. I really wish SP had been the lead single out of the two. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bxnes said:

thats ok :giggleney:

we are all valid to out own opinion on here, so you should be able to say what you want without people saying things!

you're so nice tbh. More exhalers should be open minded like you. All they ever do is jump down the throats of people with a different opinion to theirs. so sad :sipney:

2 hours ago, Dark.Knight said:

was it one of her best albums? of course

is it was awesome as people make it out to be? debatable 

it was probably the most raw we've heard her since like Circus, but the quality wasn't top notch imo. I think it was mainly in the production, we heard a lot of Britney's vocals on the stems that could have made the songs stand out and they chose not to. And yeah it's a good listen, but you can't find 1 song and be like "oh this is a game changer"

I still in love with slumber slayty :overwhelm:

I personally love Glory the album. Do I skip some songs towards the end, yes. But I actually still have it on repeat. I haven't had any Britney albums on repeat since bo and Britney. So that's a win in my book for me. But the era fell flat. Them releasing the song with no visual for weeks. Them releasing the album artwork and it looked like a tacky faded old 80s movie poster. Her lackluster VMAs performance when she should have done something iconic (like they teased). Waiting so long for sp to be a single once MM was already dropping on the charts. Adding tinashe who no one cares about (all her recent singles need some serious revival because no one cares). Not doing mainstream promo that ppl would actually see. Festivals were cute but unless You went or are a Britney fan, you'd never know she actually performed there. She should have been at every major award show even if just sitting in her audience.  Her not revamping her brand with this album. No other pop girl had fresh music out. She could have easily dominated the charts had she presented a new image to the public. But no she gets beat out by Barbara Streisand and a country group. 

1 hour ago, 3isacharm said:

now everyone saying Glory was **** and horrible... who else is going to jump on the bandwagon

This

1 hour ago, Luminous said:

I don't care about it, people can dislike it... but the amount of comments and hate in one thread so suddenly was too much tbh... :nyheadache:

and this

:squintney:

2 hours ago, justkeepdoingit said:

good:

- the music

- lead single choice

bad:

- zero damage control when the album started selling in mexico (& leaked) a week prior to the worldwide release

- "make me..." music video

- VERY underwhelming VMAs performance

- timing of "make me..." promo (vmas happened 1 1/2 month after the release and that was the only US promo)

- timing of the album release (should've happened the moment it leaked, and it would've gone #1 in the US)

- album artwork

- shitty promo choices overall (iheartradio awards + radio festivals that no one got to see, AMAs & PCAs were skipped for no reason, no late night appearances, no relevant magazine covers except for V which happened 2 months prior to the album release)

- basically zero promo overseas, except for the UK and even that happened way too late. 

And how do her albums/songs/videos keep getting leaked? Beyonce can shoot videos and record an entire album and not a word. Britney can't even shoot a video without it getting leaked. Make Me being leaked forced them to hurry up and drop it when the video wasn't ready. Then parts of the video started leaking and they decided it didn't work anymore and made some Disney follow-up. It stalled the whole era. Those leaks hurt her every time. 

Glory has a few clunkers honestly. Stop calling it the third album in the trinity because it isn't.

ITZ and BO are considered her best because they elevated her artistry and pushed a new focus into mainstream pop that is still prominent today.

Glory was just following the trend of whatever Selena Gomez's mediocre album and Bieber's Purpose was pulling out, only just experimenting with it (Coupure Électrique).

It's still her best album since Circus, so there's that.

It's one reason alone: the Make Me video disaster. It would have gone mega viral with red glitter titney. That would have supported at least a 3rd decent single with the possibility of a 4th and her image wouldn't be such Disney **** for at least 3 seconds. 

No wonder why you guys are so miserable all the time when this crap is what you spend your time thinking about :weirdmeout: Think about how Britney hasn't performed this well since ITZ. Or think about how Britney hasn't released a album this good since Blackout. Or how Britney performed at the VMA's again for her fans after the world dragged her, only for her fans to drag her :ponderney: talk about THAT, cause God knows you will be in a few years when her next album is out. 

Well, I see many things.

For starters, they took waaaay too long to release the album, and the problem goes since Britney Jean. Even if didn't sell that much, or even if mos of her fans thought she wasn't even singing on it, they should've released more singles in 2014 so the waiting didn't feel as long as it was.

Also, taking that much time to release Glory, made the tracks sound, yes, great, but like everything else that other artists were releasing in 2014-2015, early 2016. It wasn't groundbreaking, despite being awesome. And that's the dilemma, some will argue they had to take that long in order to make it the awesome album that it is, but then I'll tell them if would've been so much more praised and recognize if it came out 2 years ago. And it's not that it sounds dated, 'cause it doesn't, it's just that it's nothing new compared to what other current artists have released lately.

But anyway, that's the album they had, and they had to sell it right. First of all, even though I liked the BBMAs medley, it was a wasted opportunity. They had to release the lead single there. She had to take advantage of it and she should've only performed Work ***** and the lead single. Other option would've been if they premiered the music video there. And the worst scenario would've been to do the performance, and just release the single, without the video, later in the week. It was just too distant from the album's release, so I think it didn't have a huge impact on sales. They also were almost the last artist to upload the live performance to their VEVO channel, and even though the performance was reported by many websites,  the video wasn't there until a few days later, and they missed a lot of views there.

Speaking of lead singles, Do You Wanna Come Over should've been the lead and Make Me... the second. Then closer to the release of Make Me..., I believe it was when they announced Private Show, and the commercial, and suddenly all the attention went to PS, when MM hadn't even come out yet. The promo singles weren't the right in my opinion. First of all, if they wanted to release Private Show as a preview and for the fragrance and such, they should've released a full videoclip, and the song and the perfume, but clarifying it wasn't the lead single, and then including it on the album just as a bonus track.

As I said, singles 1 and 2, should've been DYWCO and MM. But before, the promo singles should've been Just Luv Me, Slumber Party and Clumsy, and leave them like that.

Ok, they went for MM. The whole music video mess doesn't need more explanation. We all know the sad story.

Now for the promo, I've commented this before. I recognize that they really tried this time around. They did things we could've only dreamed of years ago, but strangely, that dream didn't feel as good as we would've expected in real life. It was like, yay! VMA's performance after 9 years, but then she performs the slow Make Me..., half of it, and then another song from other artist, with G-Eazy's rap verses that lasted almost the half of the entire performance itself, so it was like, ok... :squintney: She looked great and everything, but it was just too messy, without mentioning the whole Beyoncé mini concert out of nowhere right before her performance, which wasn't really up to Team Britney. Then they trying to send that MM&I remix to radio as if it was what everyone was expecting, was like, no, please stop it. Or maybe if at least they officially released it as a single, with a videoclip and everything, but no.

She should've performed a Glory medley instead, even if it wasn't as long as Beyoncé, but at least 3 songs. DYWCO being one of them, which should've come out as the second single that night.

Jimmy Kimmel promo, the sketch was cute and all, not as funny as we would've expected, and no live performance of the song. K. Then the carpool karaoke, first live vocals in a long time, but she was the most awkward she had been in years, and they didn't even bother to explain her what the show was about. The Today show, was it the Today show? She performs, but despite other nights being in full energy, that morning she just wasn't feeling it. And who watches the Today show?

Lots of radio interviews, but they were all about the same topics, the carpool karaoke, her son naming the album, etc, they talked about anything but the songs, the music, the creative process, etc. There were just very few questions specifically about the music. It would've been easier to just make a press conference to tell everyone her son had the idea of naming the album, and all the other questions every interviewer repeated. The Europe promo tour, again, it was fine, but they didn't even have a poster of the album on the background. People say she just promoted POM, I think she didn't even promote that, she just went to chat to all these places, and those interviews just completely missed the whole point of her trip.

But we had the performance at Jonathan's show. We also had the iTunes festival. That was one of the few smart things they did. Too bad it wasn't televised. Just like the other festivals later in the year, they were all awesome, but I don't think it had any impact on her sales or popularity on radio.

Slumber Party was an awesome video, which I think it's the best I take from this era along with the album itself, but again, the song wasn't the right option for a single, even less a second single, and even when I don't have anything against Tinashe, the solo version was so much better, and she didn't even bring any popularity or success to the song, which by the way, wasn't even properly released as a single, just the video and the remix EP later. All of those were little mistakes that could've been done differently.

Of course, not releasing a third single is the worst mistake they did. The most effective way to kill an era :P

They should have released an uptempo song as the lead single. Literally every single Top 10 hit Britney has ever had in the US is an uptempo track with a melodic chorus. The fans wanna hear more stuff like Make Me, not the general public. Then she scrapped the video for reasons unknown and waited six weeks to start promoting the song. That's too late nowadays; especially when you are established like Britney, you have a smaller opening to grab people's attention, and she should have performed it when she dropped it or dropped it when she performed it. Slumber Party was also a bad single choice -- again, Britney singles need to be uptempo melodic songs. Bad cover art, too.

The era has been 100% better than the Britney Jean one.

if I had to complain about something I would have wanted live performances  in tv shows, with some live vocals and more open interviews about the album.

She never explains into details her albums, even if Glory was her "baby"

3 hours ago, troubleguy said:

it was the wrong release date of first single and album..team b should've research other nearest releases.

I think they should've drop first single right after the BBMA's :sassybrit:

She was going to perform it that night, but the video was not shot due to G-eazy being busy.

9 hours ago, button said:

you're so nice tbh. More exhalers should be open minded like you. All they ever do is jump down the throats of people with a different opinion to theirs. so sad :sipney:

thank you :) 

I just don't get why people attack others over their own opinion!

We are all valid to one :giggleney:

9 hours ago, cheri said:

i agree, bxnes is adorable

:giggleney:

Archived