You're either an album artist or a singles artist...

CharlieBlue8

Besides maybe Taylor nowadays.  Adele and Beyonce both sold crazy amounts of albums but the singles themselves were pretty much flops in comparison to Rihanna or Ariana who are singles artists.  I feel like even if you make an amazing album (like "Glory") it can still flop. :(  

I wonder what her next album will be?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adele has sold 20,000,000 copies of 25

Beyonce's Lemonade hasn't cracked 2 million worldwide. Adele's 25 alone has outsold all of Beyonce's albums combined. You're being told to believe that Beyonce's selling tons of albums simply because that's how her entire PR works.

(My sources are just some simple Google searches, but even if my numbers are a little off Adele has still outsold Lemonade somewhere near at least 9x over...)

It's interesting because I use those terms in reference to quality and others use it for sales. Adele is both a singles and albums artist. Britney was an album artist then singles artist now in-between commercially. Quality wise she went from to a strong album artist pretty early and continued the trend until Britney Jean then got it back. It's harder to sell an album these days with social media being so important and of course radio/streaming. There's more of a focus on the moment as opposed to the era. 

40 minutes ago, prettylittleliar_2214 said:

It's interesting because I use those terms in reference to quality and others use it for sales. Adele is both a singles and albums artist. Britney was an album artist then singles artist now in-between commercially. Quality wise she went from to a strong album artist pretty early and continued the trend until Britney Jean then got it back. It's harder to sell an album these days with social media being so important and of course radio/streaming. There's more of a focus on the moment as opposed to the era. 

I've only heard "Hello" on the radio in Ohio.  And I listen to it all the time...hmm

3 hours ago, DoSomething954 said:

Well I guess apparently now Britney is neither? That's sad. :-/

Britney is/can still be a singles artist

Femme Fatale wasn't a fluke. Pretty Girls having 150m on VEVO isn't a fluke and Work ***** having 250m on VEVO isnt a fluke. 

What do Criminal, Perfume, Make Me and Slumber Party all have in common? THEYRE SLOW AND BORING AF AND NOT WHAT THE GP WANTS from an artist who never sings live. Her releasing slow songs is pointless and ruining her legacy as queen of guilty pleasure bops.:ponderney:

41 minutes ago, ElectriqueBrit said:

Nope, crazily enough, I didn't.  That literally isn't anywhere in what I said.  At all.  Literally.  

:weirdmeout:

Your post is about being an albums artist or a singles artist and then you go on to say that Adele's singles flop. Except Hello was one of the biggest songs of last year.

1 hour ago, ITZFFGL said:

Britney is/can still be a singles artist

Femme Fatale wasn't a fluke. Pretty Girls having 150m on VEVO isn't a fluke and Work ***** having 250m on VEVO isnt a fluke. 

What do Criminal, Perfume, Make Me and Slumber Party all have in common? THEYRE SLOW AND BORING AF AND NOT WHAT THE GP WANTS from an artist who never sings live. Her releasing slow songs is pointless and ruining her legacy as queen of guilty pleasure bops.:ponderney:

Britney can't be releasing till the world ends for the rest of her life though, then ppl would complain she's a one trick pony. Make me and SP are dancey, MM moreso - Its just not as hard as FF. Make Me wasn't as much of a flop as people make it out to be here. It's her label who couldn't keep the float afloat even if they made some mistakes- release do you wanna after make me then Slumber Party 

21 minutes ago, Chico101 said:

Delete this thread.

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna or U2 are neither of the two but are still making millions.

you have no point

Britney should be worried about gaining back quality and improving live. They are touring forces and had their hits in their days. And when they release an album it sells well. Britney just needs to keep doing what she started w Glory era

im not sure sales even mean anything anymore... i dont know if we can even see who is actually more populair. with the downloading and the way its all counted... you see artists who have been around less than 10 years in lists that claim they sold more than iconic older artists. something is off with the way sales are being counted since the streaming and digital era. but anyway, i dont think it means that much anymore... als because. if a movie does well in de box office for example, doesnt mean its a good movie at all, more people were just interested in seeing it but they havent seen it yet

1 hour ago, BraveGraphics said:

Why do people care for sales though ?

I never understood this obsession with the sales lol

sometimes it matters because sales show people are consuming your product. recording music isn't cheap especially for upcoming artists, etc. 

but no doubt people here are obsessed with sales cause britney use to dominate hardcore with album sales. homegirl has two diamond albums! that's nuts. it's just sad to see britney plummet this hard, especially when glory has been so exceptional. idk if fans are just being petty and not purchasing the album or what, but i refuse to believe she only has 111,000 devoted fans. considering she's so much more respected and more successful than christina aguilera and jlo, she's starting to pull their numbers. 

Archived