Most unpopular opinion: Everytime is overrated.

jesusd29

5 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

giphy.gif

And about Everytime. I do like it, but I also think it's very overrated. Where Are You Now is a so much better ballad. Hold on Tight, even Someday, there are many ballads that should be called her best ballad instead of Everytime. Also, even though I get the theme and such, I think the music video doesn't make the song any justice. It's just so ugly with all those paparazzi, and the fight, and the suicide, and everything, it's like, why?

It deserved a more angelic and beautiful video, like this performance:

giphy.gif

Imma need you to cease and desist with the music video trashing sis.

The video for Everytime is raw and amazing. It truly captures how she was feeling about being a celebrity at that moment and presented a really scary image of being so famous that nobody is really there to listen or to take care of you... they see you as a dollar sign, an idol, not a human being.

It's a brilliant video with a compelling and gritty storyline and it's definitely in her Top 5 best videos.

I wouldn't trade it for some generic angel b-roll like the interlude we have for Vegas.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BoyToySoldier said:

The video for Everytime is raw and amazing. It truly captures how she was feeling about being a celebrity at that moment and presented a really scary image of being so famous that nobody is really there to listen or to take care of you... they see you as a dollar sign, an idol, not a human being.

It's a brilliant video with a compelling and gritty storyline and it's definitely in her Top 5 best videos.

I wouldn't trade it for some generic angel b-roll like the interlude we have for Vegas.

MTE!

I like Everytime because it's not just some pretty song she can relate to, she actually wrote it and the piano melody. She was feeling a certain way with the break up with Justin and it honestly came out very beautiful, very raw... and the video is definitely one of her best. The whole ITZ era was seriously amazing though. It was the last time I felt like Britney was actually Britney... after meeting Kfed  2007 she seems to be someone else, which is okay, but she'll never be that girl again. :otears:

18 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

And that's exactly what I've never liked. Contrary to what most people want, I've never liked the idea of the personal life of the artists taking over the professional work they do. I repeat, I understand the concept and her feeling and everything, but at the end, in terms of visuals, because she had always been a visual artist with videos like Oops, Toxic, BOMT, etc, that have a color scheme, certain outfits, hairdos, etc, Everytime ended up being a really ugly video, in terms of visuals, with images like these

everytime03.jpg

normal_XRAY_VIDEO_EVERYTIME_00135.jpgnormal_XRAY_VIDEO_EVERYTIME_00220.jpgnormal_XRAY_VIDEO_EVERYTIME_00102.jpg

And her look isn't precisely one of the most memorable

everytime06.jpg

I get that it was the point of the video, and it is raw and everything that you said.  But that's exactly what I'm not expecting from Britney. And that's why Piece of Me is my least favorite video, because it has the same concept, and the same kind of ugly visuals, but at least in Everytime she looks great. I prefer the out of this world videos, with fictional themes, pleasant-looking outfits, colors, scenarios. 

And just like Blackout, after the years I've been able to appreciate that kind of things from Britney, just because it proves she's able to do different things, but I'll always prefer her classic trademark, both in music and videos.

But talking just about the song Everytime, I do believe she has so many other ballads that are way better, but that doesn't mean Everytime isn't good.

I've never thought of Everytime as Britney's best ballad because I love the "old school" ones from BOMT and Oops. I'd place Born To Make You Happy, I Will Be There, Sometimes, From The Bottom of My Broken Heart, One Kiss From You, Where Are You Now and Don't let Me Be The Last To Know above it, mostly because of her voice.

I do however feel like Everytime is special because Britney was very involved in the writing, and we know the story behind it which makes the lyrics relatable... and it also makes me sad because I have always loved Britney. It's just a heartbreaking song. I have also always assumed that song was a response to JT's "Never Again", and, whether that's true or not, it makes the song all the more upsetting to me.

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, exposingmediocrity said:

They overrated it because its one of her only songs that shes written

1 hour ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Dozens of her songs had involvement from her but okay. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

I think what you both mean is that its one of her only HIT songs that she's written.

She's written many others, but they just weren't HIT SONGS.   Just like Beyonce has never written ANY of the HIT songs that she's recorded, but was probably written other songs.

Still, Glen Hansard easily does the song justice with his cover:

E-mail my heart? Really? 

I used to think the same about Everytime but I've realized how deep it really is. Everytime is more than a break up song, it's a song which can reflect different moments in our lives. When we grow up and start to deal with our own demons, we break down, we try to start over, vulnerability... it's such a special song. 

All the JT drama overshadow the real meaning of the song and the fact that Britney was crying for help, she was struggling. It was deeper, but it was a good pr move, imho.

7 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Dozens of her songs had involvement from her but okay. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

6 hours ago, zxcvb said:

I think what you both mean is that its one of her only HIT songs that she's written.

She's written many others, but they just weren't HIT SONGS.   Just like Beyonce has never written ANY of the HIT songs that she's recorded, but was probably written other songs.

Still, Glen Hansard easily does the song justice with his cover:

That person is a Britney hater, dont even bother. Every post he makes, hes shading or talking **** about her. 

Archived