JLo perfectly describes what album sales mean now & it relates to Britney!

Onyx1126

I watched this interview & I loved so much what she says regarding album sales & career. I felt as if it couldn't have been said better & Britney is exactly in the spot JLo describes! 

In the interview they ask her about album sales & what she thinks about Mariah not selling well & if she's worried about her sales. 

She replies ( paraphrasing )

It's something that we already did like the kids out there. Drop an album, drop a single and watch it go straight to #1 or be a huge hit. We did that 3, 4 times over (btw in Britney's case that would be more like 6 or 7 times over lol) it's not about trying so hard to prove yourself & thinking so hard like the younger ones out there trying to get that #1 feeling like ITS GOTTA HIT, HOW DO WE MAKE IT HIT. There's reinvention that needs to take place & when you reach a certain point it's not about the sprint, it's a marathon. It's an honor to make it to a certain point in your career where you've been there, done that & was able to hold onto a loyal fan base. Not a lot of people get to that point & it's truly a blessing, it's an honor to be at a point in your career where it isn't about how much it sells or how big of a hit it is.

she said it THE BEST I've heard from an artist!!

Starts at 16:00

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSP37u39tQY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with her. If you have a career spanning over a few decades, you dont still need number one albums and songs. They have been there done that. They find what their strengths are and continue on like that. For some its touring, others something else. The number one stuff is for the younger ones and fans who act like its a competition. And the way sales are counted is off too. Some have apparently sold more than some of the biggest icons in less than 10 years. I feel like we dont even know anymore whos actually the most succesfull.

9 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

If Britney put effort fourth I would totally be okay with dwindled success. It's the fact be doesn't try that really bothers me. 

No on wants itzney back and unhappy but she doesn't try at all for the music. 

You're wrong. She's trying and it's called Glory :nobitch:

1 hour ago, Godney's Sweet *** said:

Not being rude, but Jennifer's last big hit was in 2011. Of course she's going to downplay sales and charts. 

Britney's last big hit was in 2012 :tiffsniffle:

Mariah's was 2009 :moorangu:

*** the GP tbh :staysalty:

this is still everywhere (at least in europe)

• Super Mods
30 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

We probably wont get music like it again because of how it charted. Because she didn't care to try and help it. 

You acted like she didnt do ****, it might not be Katy Perry level promo but this era she did more than the BJ era and everything that the fans has bitched about ever since she started vegas. She put her full effort into making a good album because thats where her strenght is, being a creative artist. After years of being over exposed and constantly in the media, why is it so bad that she chose now to remain low key? She released a great album, she did some promo, she appeared on magazines with flawless cover shoots, and performed on televised tv, did tv interviews while being extremely comfortable and her old cute self yet all that is not enough. Why is everything has to be glass half full? Shes made a lot of progress and over time she is getting more comfortable with herself. 

I

25 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

If Britney put effort fourth I would totally be okay with dwindled success. It's the fact be doesn't try that really bothers me. 

No on wants itzney back and unhappy but she doesn't try at all for the music. 

This is what bothers me. 

Britney obviously worked hard on Glory

and worked hard during the era. It also needs to be kept in mind that creating a whole project like that would be tough in any case - let alone while you are doing a residency and juggle being a mum. 

She's definitely stepped up her performances and energy during shows so it's not that either. 

The only thing that I can see is that she clearly isn't bothered by being number one, going viral etc 

That's the only thing there is. 

Otherwise we have her being confident again, performing with passion again, showing personality and spontaneity again, releasing great music again and promoting again. The only thing missing is that bite to be on top and that worry about where she'd chart. 

And it's the weirdest thing that fans want that from her so bad. 

She's had an unbelievably successful career for nearly 20 years now. We've seen her achieve everything, lose it all, and win it all back. Who cares about a number 3 instead of a number 1 - it's amazing! 

11 minutes ago, AdamSkye said:

This is what bothers me. 

Britney obviously worked hard on Glory

and worked hard during the era. It also needs to be kept in mind that creating a whole project like that would be tough in any case - let alone while you are doing a residency and juggle being a mum. 

She's definitely stepped up her performances and energy during shows so it's not that either. 

The only thing that I can see is that she clearly isn't bothered by being number one, going viral etc 

That's the only thing there is. 

Otherwise we have her being confident again, performing with passion again, showing personality and spontaneity again, releasing great music again and promoting again. The only thing missing is that bite to be on top and that worry about where she'd chart. 

And it's the weirdest thing that fans want that from her so bad. 

She's had an unbelievably successful career for nearly 20 years now. We've seen her achieve everything, lose it all, and win it all back. Who cares about a number 3 instead of a number 1 - it's amazing! 

And honestly with the whole 3 vs. 1 thing......the charts are a joke now Alicia's new album debuted at #2 selling only 50,000 it's first week meanwhile Glory did double that and was #3 and Gwen Stefani's album debuted at #1 with a lot less in sales it's first week too. So compared to both of those albums it looks like Glory is a flop when in reality it has done better than both! It's all about the week you release now than it is actually sales. 

1 hour ago, Godney's Sweet *** said:

Not being rude, but Jennifer's last big hit was in 2011. Of course she's going to downplay sales and charts. 

Well if you count Scream & Shout Britney's last big hit was in 2013, but I mean WB and MM have been bigger than anything JLO and Mariah have released in a while if you're gonna compare! 

Also I love how JLO makes it seem like she's had multiple #1 albums in her response because she's only had 1 lol, unless she was counting singles in there too. 

4 hours ago, Godney's Sweet *** said:

Aint your mama was huge hit in europe. Im aware that the us market tis the biggest but there is life going on besides US. And when you look the biggest hits in the last 2 years in US you can sit and cry how shitty gp taste is  in the US.

Archived