"I'm a very lucky mom"

SlayOut

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/16/2017 at 0:04 PM, sapiwan said:

Im curious, if she's not blonde and KEvin isn't then how is her son blonde?...where are the sciencetists of exhale to educate me :ponderney:

On 2/16/2017 at 0:09 PM, SlayOut said:

Maybe @LostInAnImage could help? :slayney:

Sorry, just saw this notification! So, genetic inheritability is really complex, but here's a very simplistic version: The pigment of your hair color is determined by melanin.  

There are two types of melanin: pheomelanin and eumelanin. Pheomelanin results in reddish hair, while eumelanin results in dark hair. So if you have a lot of pheomelanin = you'll have red hair, a lot of eumelanin = brown/black hair, almost no pheomelanin or eumelanin = blonde hair. 

A child gets four copies of each gene (this is different from alleles, which are one pair of two genes you inherit from each parent) from each parent (for a total of eight) in determining the amount of pheomelanin or eumelanin they will possess. So for the purposes of your question, let's use Britney and Kevin as the example.

Since they both naturally have lighter brown hair, let's imagine they both have five eumelanin genes turned on, thus resulting in their brown hair, but still each carry three pheomelanin genes nonetheless (even though they're "turned off," because the majority rules in terms of genetic composition of hair color, rather than dominant vs recessive traits).

So, since Preston received four copies of Britney's genes and four copies of Kevin's genes, he could have wound up with a total of five copies of pheomelanin and three copies of light brown eumelanin, thereby resulting in blonde hair.

This is way oversimplified, but hopefully kind of answered your question :saycheese:

Archived