Me Against the Music should have been called...

soforlaters

"Me Against the Music" is an amazing song. I personally prefer the solo Chix Mix, Bloodshy & Avant version. But the Madonna featured version is pretty epic. 

If you listen to the lyrics the song shouldn't have been titled "Me Against the Music." Especially with the Madonna version. Britney never sings 'it's me against the music' she just says it in the opening and closing. 

In my honest opinion, it should've been called "Let Me See You Dance"

This title invites a competition with Madonna in her featured version and makes the song more approachable in the solo version. 

If you listen to the solo version of the song with that title in mind the message becomes more positive and powerful instead of negative and aggressive. 

Thoughts? 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Super Mods

I like the original title. It basically describes the song right there but honestly Madonna kinda ruined it with her solo. I like the breakdown by itself, it actually made me appreciate the song even more for its production that got masked by Madonna's vocals.

Penelope Magnet about the song title:

How did Me Against The Music come to be? Was it written over a pre-made instrumental? 
Penelope: Me Against The Music started with a hot loop. I had started writing a song for myself to it. I came up with some melodies and I really wanted it to be playful and deep. It was important to recognize Tupac in the title to me. I loved him and Big. Tupac had an album entitled “Me Against The World” hence Me Against the Music. The electricity of that era breathed life into Brit’s record

I like the title as it is, I do have to say though, I think the song was better pre-Madonna. The Chix Mix that you mentioned is supposedly the original version of the song and is similar to the version she played at the 2003 NFL Kickoff (side note they should've given her the 2004 SB halftime)......they later re-worked the song when Madonna was set to feature.......I mean I love that she has a song with Madonna and back then it was such a big deal because Madonna had hardly even done collabos....but I feel they shouldn't have messed with the song so much! 

Archived