Why are the Femme Fatale "hit" singles forgotten? (Spotify)

Lou M. Taylor

For Day: 31/01/2017

Toxic: 147,842
...Baby One More Time: 114,122
Oops!... I Did It Again: 100,588
Womanizer: 64,907
Work *****: 57,383
Circus: 40,384
Gimme More: 36,862
Till The World Ends: 36,576
(You Drive Me) Crazy: 29,682
Piece Of Me: 29,031
I'm A Slave 4 U: 27,653
Everytime: 25,815
Stronger: 22,134
If U Seek Amy: 20,009
Lucky: 20,006
Pretty Girls: 19,010
I Wanna Go: 18,591
Criminal: 18,462
3: 14,835

Radar: 14,784
Hold It Against Me: 14,618
Break The Ice: 11,494
Me Against The Music: 10,822

Was it wrong to follow the hot trend of 2011? All of the singles failed to become Britney classics and have embarassing reccurent streaming numbers on Spotify (to the point of being outstreamed by 2000-2001 singles) despite being radio hits. Was Jive wrong in pushing for trendy commercial music and Britney for going along with it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if she performed them on TV like other artists do for their biggest hits on medleys/had the songs on commercials people would stream them more. She's not big on Spotify. 

Just now, Spearsfan said:

FF singles are the only Britney songs I hear on the radio still. Plus Toxic.

You can think they aren't holding their own if you want. 

Yeah the radio loved IWG and TTWE.

9 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

FF singles are the only Britney songs I hear on the radio still. Plus Toxic.

You can think they aren't holding their own if you want. 

As far as I know, her only song to get considerable reccurent radio airplay is Toxic.

But yes anyways, the thread is about the public not using the songs anymore. It's the same thing on Youtube. The daily views are tragic, worse than songs like Sometimes, a 1999 single.

There's nothing wrong with it,  not every album will have perfect recurrency. Look at the "Britney" era, it has her worst streaming and recurrent numbers ever (despite being released during her Golden years). 

She has 9 studio albums, its natural that some will get better recurrent stats than others. IMO there was nothing wrong with FF. 

15 minutes ago, Dinirocal said:

There's nothing wrong with it,  not every album will have perfect recurrency. Look at the "Britney" era, it has her worst streaming and recurrent numbers ever (despite being released during her Golden years). 

She has 9 studio albums, its natural that some will get better recurrent stats than others. IMO there was nothing wrong with FF. 

I mean your logic is great when you compare Britney and In the Zone album streams but Femme fatale was released just when Spotify was taking off and so close to the streaming era boom, yet Slave is currently outstreaming 3/4 of the FF singles.

On Youtube, Slave and Overprotected get better daily streams than Till the word ends. So I'm not sure if you can say Britney era is the worst one with recurrent stats. FF looks worse to me.

http://kworb.net/youtube/artist/britneyspears.html

What I see is that the public consumed the music when the trend was still hot and dropped them after the trend died down so it wasn't memorable in the end. I wish she released something better and timeless in 2011! Britney and her career had a lot of pontential, she's better than generic EDM songs.

28 minutes ago, TheLightningThief said:

No. They were released to be successful in 2011, not 2017. :idkney:

What's the point in releasing hit songs that will be forgotten a few months later? A song should be doing what her top songs on Spotify are right now, bringing in income years later. Britney should be releasing classics, not cheap quick little singles. Especially not so late into her career. That was a mistake, sorry. :idkney:

1 hour ago, button said:

As far as I know, her only song to get considerable reccurent radio airplay is Toxic.

But yes anyways, the thread is about the public not using the songs anymore. It's the same thing on Youtube. The daily views are tragic, worse than songs like Sometimes, a 1999 single.

Her highest videos but okay...

There were many problems with FF but come on they are her last huge songs... 

Saying they aren't being played more than her prime songs is obviously a reach to say ppl don't like them anymore. 

The real truth is that the singles from FF are the last Britney songs that actually had the opportunity to get "played out" by radio & clubs! FF was Britney's most successful commercial album in a whole, obviously not in terms of sales but again FF was listed as one of the top most illegally downloaded albums of 2011! It also was Britney's most successful radio album in a whole. 1st Britney album to have all 4 singles chart in the Top 20-40 (it's either 20 or 40 I forget). TTWE & esp IWG are 2 of Britney's most spun radio songs & club spins as well. FF also produced Britney's most successful remixes. 

The reason people aren't die Harding for the FF singles is because the explosion of hearing them everywhere non stop is still too fresh. It's the same thing that happened to her older songs.. people get sick of them & crave the newer sounds & it isn't until years later they are rediscovered & actually appreciated. 

Make no mistake about it & whether you like it or not FF still is Britney's most commercially successful album & in 6 years or so when people grow tired of the sound that is popular now they will start to regain interest in the material that is still "freshly stale" 

46 minutes ago, button said:

What's the point in releasing hit songs that will be forgotten a few months later? A song should be doing what her top songs on Spotify are right now, bringing in income years later. Britney should be releasing classics, not cheap quick little singles. Especially not so late into her career. That was a mistake, sorry. :idkney:

As I said in my reply but I'll say it again but in a new way specifically to this comment. The Britney "Classics" that everybody loves once upon a time were also considered stale & played out. You have to give the FF era songs time to breathe after being played out so heavily. 

16 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

Her highest videos but okay...

There were many problems with FF but come on they are her last huge songs... 

Saying they aren't being played more than her prime songs is obviously a reach to say ppl don't like them anymore. 

Well for starters Hold it against me is not in her top 10 viewed videos.

I'm not denying they were hits (they weren't "huge" though, only TTWE was a big hit) I'm just pointing out that people don't use them anymore. Tragic recurrent views and streams. The songs did not have legs and their relevancy was short-lived. That's what I'm aiming at.

I'm not comparing them to her prime songs. Did you check the OP? Hold it against me has less daily streams than Radar (and Criminal ouch) and I Wanna Go less streams than Pretty Girls. The stats are bad, there's no way around it.

2 minutes ago, button said:

I'm not denying they were hits (they weren't "huge" though, only TTWE was a big hit) I'm just pointing out that people don't use them anymore. Tragic recurrent views and streams. The songs did not have legs and their relevancy was short-lived. That's what I'm aiming at.

I'm not comparing them to her prime songs. Did you check the OP? Hold it against me has less daily streams than Radar (and Criminal ouch) and I Wanna Go less streams than Pretty Girls. The stats are bad, there's no way around it.

I 100% disagree and statistics prove that IWG was actually a bigger song than TTWE. They are Britney's last mega-hits & the only reason ppl might not be streaming them in high doses right now are because they are played out right now. In fact.. I heard IWG on the radio more during the MM promo than i did MM lololol sooooo.. I see where you are looking at streaming data & coming up with this theory but the steams are low because people have been pounded by them & it'll take awhile for them to feel fresh again. 

1 minute ago, Onyx1126 said:

As I said in my reply but I'll say it again but in a new way specifically to this comment. The Britney "Classics" that everybody loves once upon a time were also considered stale & played out. You have to give the FF era songs time to breathe after being played out so heavily. 

It's been 6 years already. How many more years? When will they have this surge sweetie? If no one is caring about them in 2017, no one will care in 2020 either. :NYsassy:

Her classic songs have always been relevant and they never stooped to the level of the FF singles. One year later, Toxic was being referenced in Doctor Who. Sorry, but those dated EDM songs aren't going to rise from the ashes and get stuck in everyone's minds again. Don't be delusional.

2 minutes ago, button said:

For one week? 

The streams prove nothing but a reach. 

IWG and TTWE are some of more generic singles but they still are remembered. 

Archived