The problem with "Make Me"

OopsOverprotected

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mona Lisa 2.0 said:

make me is cool but it wouldn't be a hit just because of the original video. what killed the era was probably the hype for the VMAs, cause at the end it was so simple.

:truthtea:

Make Me was already done and had several negative updates on radio before the VMA night. The beginning of August was when the song needed a push and they released an uneventful video which didn't have an impact on the song's iTunes position and its streaming. It's that simple.

2 minutes ago, button said:

Make Me was already done and had several negative updates on radio before the VMA night. The beginning of August was when the song needed a push and they released an uneventful video which didn't have an impact on the song's iTunes position and its streaming. It's that simple.

maybe if they had a good performance on VMAs that would have helped the song. idk if a lot of people still watch VMAs tho

9 minutes ago, Mona Lisa 2.0 said:

maybe if they had a good performance on VMAs that would have helped the song.

Nope, too late. Look at the update literally two days before the VMA. It was already being dropped. 250+ spins down from its 5051 spins peak.

http://kworb.net/radio/pop/archives/20160826.html

Had they released the original video when it was time for it, it would have been at least a moderate hit.

1 hour ago, Sharkney said:

Only issue with Make Me is that atrocious clapping giggling mess that they called a video. I agree with it being the choice for a first single though.

This tbh, it was the perfect first single and actually someone I work with who is not at all a Britney fan told me she heard it on the radio and liked it......what killed it was waiting to promote it and the whole video debacle......I do think that both videos were messes though....the original looked so messy and too gay for the gp and the one we got was just horrible because they had no time to come up with a decent concept! 

It's a great first single. It's chill but dancey, I mean if she released Clumsy people would call her a one trick pony with EDM/Electro. The video messed it up badly, it looked cheap (you can make videos with no money look good with a good director), too many ads like literally distracting, made no sense, and was immature. LaChapelle and Larry must have gotten in a big argument cause I doubt Britney would want to waste a bunch of days worth of shooting. They are both divas but I feel like Larry just gets stubborn and makes people not want to work with Brit.

It deserved a grown up video

7 minutes ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

This tbh, it was the perfect first single and actually someone I work with who is not at all a Britney fan told me she heard it on the radio and liked it......what killed it was waiting to promote it and the whole video debacle......I do think that both videos were messes though....the original looked so messy and too gay for the gp and the one we got was just horrible because they had no time to come up with a decent concept! 

yeah the first video had good parts like the warehouse scene where she's dancing but (maybe cause we haven't seen the rest) it looked random. And too gay but not in like Madonna Vogue kinda way, it just looked like a gay **** film set :orangu: 

Literally could've just made a video of the solo scenes in her undies and her dancing with the guys in the warehouse. One guy could wear an OrangeTheory shirt lol. But despite all that it did ok!

1 minute ago, RTC said:

yeah the first video had good parts like the warehouse scene where she's dancing but (maybe cause we haven't seen the rest) it looked random. And too gay but not in like Madonna Vogue kinda way, it just looked like a gay **** film set :orangu: 

Literally could've just made a video of the solo scenes in her undies and her dancing with the guys in the warehouse. One guy could wear an OrangeTheory shirt lol. But despite all that it did ok!

Yeah it did look like a gay **** or an Andrew Christian promo video, Idk I hated the beginning of the video too because Britney wasn't even in it it's her dancers working out which is random and the whole TV thing idk......I kind of believe Larry when he said it didn't make sense and I think they had to pull the plug because of something with the label/a sponsor they got. 

You're right though, with a shitty video and no promo for a month the song still managed to be #1 on itunes and a top 20 hit which is honestly not bad at all for someone who's not a fresh new artist/35 years old 

4 minutes ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

Yeah it did look like a gay **** or an Andrew Christian promo video, Idk I hated the beginning of the video too because Britney wasn't even in it it's her dancers working out which is random and the whole TV thing idk......I kind of believe Larry when he said it didn't make sense and I think they had to pull the plug because of something with the label/a sponsor they got. 

You're right though, with a shitty video and no promo for a month the song still managed to be #1 on itunes and a top 20 hit which is honestly not bad at all for someone who's not a fresh new artist/35 years old 

Did they really need to scrap the whole video lol? like couldn't they just reshoot. What a waste of time and money

1 minute ago, RTC said:

Did they really need to scrap the whole video lol? like couldn't they just reshoot. What a waste of time and money

Well I feel like David didn't want to re-shoot it, I could totally see him being offended......also RCA loves to **** things up, Kelly Clarkson didn't even get to finish one of her videos because they didn't like it.....it literally stops before the song is even over. 

• Content Curators
1 hour ago, danny1994 said:

People really think a music video would've made it a hit? All Closer got was a lyric video and it has over a billion views

Yes, the fact that it re-peaked at #17 after promo proved it could've been a top 10 hit with that music video.

Britney's lead singles rarely or never re-peak after the 1st week. After all, she's a legendary act that relies a lot on visuals.

Archived