I have a question regarding Umbrella

sutramaya

3 hours ago, Dirty Boy said:

I'm kinda both glad and sad she didn't record it.

It was very poor timing for an "umbrella" song after all :moorangu:

well, if it wasn't for her, umbrella wouldn't really exist. 

she may have not recorded it, but it was for sure written for her after what she went through :staysalty:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DoSomething954 said:

I honestly don't even think Jay can take that much credit. Especially since he was president of the label when he signed her and the one signing off on the songs for her first two albums. Yet they still weren't super massive hits. I think umbrella did good because it was just a monster. And sounded different from her previous songs. That with her new edgy look with her taking more creative control, I think it all just happened to work. It reminds me of Pink and how her first album was all LA Reid picking material for her then she took more control her sophomore album and had bigger success. 

I always read that Jay didn't want Kanye or Rihanna. He put Tierra Marie up for more things and I'm not sure what happened there then I guess he concentrated his efforts to Rihanna once he realized the other artist would keep flopping. I wish Britney would take some cues from Rihanna in a few ways. 

14 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

No, it never made it to her. Her management turned it down because they said they have enough material. Heard later that when Britney found out what happened, she was pissed. I'm sure her team rejected it because they knew the media would jump on the umbrella jokes and it will never stop. I guess I can see why, its originally a ballad and people won't be able to take her seriously with the song even if she killed it.

Her team can be so dumb sometimes. I think Britney would've done a good job with the song. I always wanted Blackout to be a double disc album because they had plenty of great material. 

• Super Mods
3 hours ago, prettylittleliar_2214 said:

Her team can be so dumb sometimes. I think Britney would've done a good job with the song. I always wanted Blackout to be a double disc album because they had plenty of great material. 

No I'm mad too especially since the producer wrote it for Britney because he wanted her to have a hit and seeing the media ganging up on her.  I never took the song seriously until people covering it as a ballad ,what the original is intended as, is how deep and meaningful the lyrics are especially when you you think about it written about her and her kids than a love ballad.  Totally see her using her natural deep voice and having a soulful twist to the song. I can understand how ticked off she would be because not only that it became a hit but it also is one of the more personal songs and refreshing compared to the typical topics about love and ***.

18 hours ago, DoSomething954 said:

I honestly don't even think Jay can take that much credit. Especially since he was president of the label when he signed her and the one signing off on the songs for her first two albums. Yet they still weren't super massive hits. I think umbrella did good because it was just a monster. And sounded different from her previous songs. That with her new edgy look with her taking more creative control, I think it all just happened to work. It reminds me of Pink and how her first album was all LA Reid picking material for her then she took more control her sophomore album and had bigger success. 

P!nk 2nd album was all her ... She said she won't make another album unless she does it HER way!

That's when she started working with Linda Perry and going more Pop Rock.

I thought LA signed her not Jay ... I believe it was LA!

1 hour ago, A.D. said:

I saw a documentary about Pink that documented the earlier years of her career and it was LA Reid who signed her off. She even shaded him AND Britney on Don't Let Me Get Me:

LA told me, "You'll be a pop star, 
All you have to change is everything you are." 
Tired of being compared to damn Britney Spears 
She's so pretty, that just ain't me 

Who hasn't she shaded at this point shes such a ***** shes always seem mad LOL

4 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

P!nk 2nd album was all her ... She said she won't make another album unless she does it HER way!

It was LA Reid 

• Super Mods
4 hours ago, A.D. said:

I saw a documentary about Pink that documented the earlier years of her career and it was LA Reid who signed her off. She even shaded him AND Britney on Don't Let Me Get Me:

I always thought she was just saying LA like Los Angeles :lostney:

11 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

What I said about Pink is exactly what you're saying. She took creative control on her sophomore album... so are you just agreeing with me? 

And him and LA worked together, but JayZ had most of the control.  JayZ was the president of the label and introduced Rihanna to LA. LA even mentions them working together on her and JayZ handling all her A&R, picking her songs and he left the actual signing of her to JayZ etc. so JayZ was definitely very involved her first two albums, he wasn't like some savior after Umbrella. Like I said, I think ppl give him too much credit. 

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6836012/la-reid-on-meeting-rihanna-for-first-time-jay-z-beyonce

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/rihanna-audition-2016-3?client=safari

10 hours ago, A.D. said:

How is saying someone is pretty shade? Britney was the glamorous pop star and that obviously isn't who Pink is or wanted to be. Truth isn't shade. 

13 hours ago, A.D. said:

Except she used to shade Britney back then by implying she was nothing but a pretty face. Though her attitude changed when she worked with Britney for the Pepsi commercial and saw a genuinely humble and hard-working girl

Oh I didn't know she shaded her in other ways. It sucks because with the current state of her career is like she's proving all the haters right who thought she was just a manufactured product.

Archived