From Mariah to Britney Spears: 90's pop singers have lost space for new generation

e-mailmyheart

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, e-mailmyheart said:

Because this last album that she released is very different in terms of image and sound that she used to GP

No darling, she started underperforming with Artpop, she's selling less and less each era, everyone has their time, hers already passed.

4 hours ago, e-mailmyheart said:

But nowadays it is not only with the type of music that an artist has to worry to reach a younger generation, but also with the image and the social networks, a singer with 50/60 years for more music and appealing sounds that does to please this generation can not please in a social network like Instagram for example, where they put their images and things that they like and the young people who love a song of yours or even an album will not identify with it because she is not from her generation, does not go through the same experiences that they and an enventual love relationship would not also get their attention as a Selena Gomez and a Justin Bieber for example.

As Rihanna, JT, Katy all do good this statement isn't true. 

9 hours ago, Soni said:

I spot no lies tbh...she really needs to release something daring and stop chasing trends (like she does from Circus or FF till today)

Then you and the writer is ********. Since here comeback with the "new generation" 

womanizer - number one billboard hot 100 and number one billboard pop songs 2 werks

circus- number 3 on hot 100 and number one on pop

if u seek Amy- top 20 billboard hot 100. Top ten billboard pop

3- number one billboard hot 100. Number two billboard pop

hold it against me- number one billboard hot 100 . Number four billboard pop.

toll the world ends- number three hot 100. Number three pop

i wanna go- top ten billboard hot 100. Number 1 pop.

scream and shout- 3 hot 100. Four pop

work ***** - number 12 hot 100. Top twenty pop

make me - top 20 hot 100 and top 20 pop

she is still very relevant and she isn't doing the best right now because she is different and not releasing generic awful music like "just like fire" and "can't stop the feeling"

8 hours ago, Derek08 said:

Then you and the writer is ********. Since here comeback with the "new generation" 

womanizer - number one billboard hot 100 and number one billboard pop songs 2 werks

circus- number 3 on hot 100 and number one on pop

if u seek Amy- top 20 billboard hot 100. Top ten billboard pop

3- number one billboard hot 100. Number two billboard pop

hold it against me- number one billboard hot 100 . Number four billboard pop.

toll the world ends- number three hot 100. Number three pop

i wanna go- top ten billboard hot 100. Number 1 pop.

scream and shout- 3 hot 100. Four pop

work ***** - number 12 hot 100. Top twenty pop

make me - top 20 hot 100 and top 20 pop

she is still very relevant and she isn't doing the best right now because she is different and not releasing generic awful music like "just like fire" and "can't stop the feeling"

I didn't even say that NOT chasing trends = success...it's just that her fans want her to SET those trends

and chasing trends is how she got those hits from FF.lets not play ourselves..

I don't know if Circus was a trend chaser but added I it just in case. (although nothing on the album sounds like another artist)

anyways she tried to do generic awful music like those 2 songs with "Oh La La".We see how that worked out.

6 hours ago, Kiiddy said:

Wtf are you talking about?  

Since when was Circus or FF trend chasing albums? 

I am not sure about Circus..just added it cuz...idk

But FF definitely chased trends..Ke$ha was the biggest thing and I think every of her songs hit top 10? also FF was full with Dr Luke (Katy Perry) and Max Martin's (biggest hitmaker) productions so yea...there was definitely a plan for the album to smash without being something different..

anyways on Circus..I guess it didn't chase trends..it's just that..it was kinda happy edm? what Gaga (I think) was doing those days? (not that Blackout didn't set the edm trend tho)Idk...she probably didn't chase trends on Circus

7 hours ago, Soni said:

I didn't even say that NOT chasing trends = success...it's just that her fans want her to SET those trends

and chasing trends is how she got those hits from FF.lets not play ourselves..

I don't know if Circus was a trend chaser but added I it just in case. (although nothing on the album sounds like another artist)

anyways she tried to do generic awful music like those 2 songs with "Oh La La".We see how that worked out.

I am not sure about Circus..just added it cuz...idk

But FF definitely chased trends..Ke$ha was the biggest thing and I think every of her songs hit top 10? also FF was full with Dr Luke (Katy Perry) and Max Martin's (biggest hitmaker) productions so yea...there was definitely a plan for the album to smash without being something different..

anyways on Circus..I guess it didn't chase trends..it's just that..it was kinda happy edm? what Gaga (I think) was doing those days? (not that Blackout didn't set the edm trend tho)Idk...she probably didn't chase trends on Circus

Those producers you speak of aren't owned by Kesha or Katy.
Britney has been working with them longer than they have.
Britney went a different direction than both of them as well.
That whole album was about fusing pop with light dub-step which is an underground sound that hardly no mainstream pop artists were following.
In fact after HIAM and TTWE... that sound she had in those songs began to trend through mainstream pop.
So if anything FF was a trend-setting album, not a trend-chasing one. Critics even agree with me.

10 hours ago, Camilo said:

No darling, she started underperforming with Artpop, she's selling less and less each era, everyone has their time, hers already passed.

I do not follow the career of Lady Gaga to the detail, but by what I've seen this new album has a different sound that we are accustomed to it and the image of it has completely changed, stopped using fussy and extravagant things to draw attention as it did in the previous albums .
I think the way she presents and dresses now is the real Lady Gaga, it's how she always wanted to be, but she knew when she started her career that showing the audience that she could sing and that she had a voice was not enough to be noticed, stand out and attract attention, because singers who know how to sing and who have an excellent voice exist in the sauces (Nicole Scherzinger for example), so she had to get people's attention in the extravagant clothes she wore and now that people already know who she is, that she has talent and has her name singled out in the music, she can dress normally and let the music that she does speak for herself without the spasmodic facts behind to attract attention.

10 hours ago, youWantaPizzame said:

But what about ArtPop? Don't get me wrong. I really like Gaga, but I felt like her celebrity game isn't the same pre The Fame/Monster days. 

Of course not, like Britney's either. I wrote this to an answer about Lady Gaga and put it here for you too:

I think the way she presents and dresses now is the real Lady Gaga, it's how she always wanted to be, but she knew when she started her career that showing the audience that she could sing and that she had a voice was not enough to be noticed, stand out and attract attention, because singers who know how to sing and who have an excellent voice exist in the sauces (Nicole Scherzinger for example), so she had to get people's attention in the extravagant clothes she wore and now that people already know who she is, that she has talent and has her name singled out in the music, she can dress normally and let the music that she does speak for herself without the spasmodic facts behind to attract attention.

31 minutes ago, Kiiddy said:

Those producers you speak of aren't owned by Kesh a or Katy. Plus Britney has been working with them longer than they have. Britney went a different direction than both of them as well. That whole album was about fusing pop with light dub step which is an underground sound that hardly no mainstream pop artists were following. In fact after hiam and ttwe... that sound Britney had trended through mainstream pop. So if anything FF was a trendsetting album. Critics even agree with me 

Ummm..no they aren't owned by them but the hits they were making at the time were owned by those producers.
And are u serious?!Kesha(+LMFAO,3OH!3,Flo Rida,Black Eyed Peas,David Guetta and maybe even Nicki Minaj) was making that sound mainstream!It did help that Max produced 2 hits the previous era for Brit and that's what helped them push him for the next one.But those were the times..

either it was Katy Perry or Ke$ha.
For Brit it was more of a Kesha sound.

I don't understand how u can't hear similarities between Kesha's songs and Britney's in the FF era.It is even obvious that her label wanted for the album to be mainstream idgi

19 hours ago, Soni said:

I spot no lies tbh...she really needs to release something daring and stop chasing trends (like she does from Circus or FF till today)

I fail to see how Circus was a trend chasing album, honestly the material on it and the singles didn't sound like anything that was out at the time.....and actually a good chunk of that album sounded like classic Britney! I'll give you FF to a degree because it was deff a very commercial album, but it still managed to set some trends instead of just following them.....I mean that album kind of ushered in the whole mainstream dub step trend. Now BJ completely follow trends which is part of why it failed....people expect something different from Britney not to mention that the music in general was just god awful on that album. Glory I think followed some trends but at the same time seemed much more like a classic Britney album.....I mean some tracks are totally generic like Just Luv Me, Better, MR but then you have If I'm Dancing, MOTM,CE and many others which are really different from what's popular today and even MM and Slumber Party while current sounding have a different edge to them than what's currently on radio. 

My problem with this article is that they lump Britney in with 3 artists that are struggling WAY more than she is......JLO hasn't had a hit in 7 years and hasn't had a truly successful album in eons not to mention her music was never as good as Britney's, Christina is almost completely irrelevant, and Mariah hasn't had a single chart higher than 83 since 2013.....not to mention Glory did double what her last album did it's first week. 

I think what people need to realize is one Britney is over being head ***** in the game, I truly think she just continues to make music because she enjoys it and likes to give her fans stuff and two it's only natural that she would become less popular the longer her career is......Janet said in an interview that once you hit the 10 year mark younger artists start to replace you.....well Britney is almost at the 20 year mark. I also think part of the problem is with the exception of BJ Britney's music is too good......the younger generation likes generic garbage tbh....I mean look at how popular Fifth Harmony's Worth It was.....that song is awful/basic not to mention all of Basic Swifts singles from her last album......it's like you have to release basic crap for them to like it and when you release something that's truly good they don't pay attention.....it think that was Gwen's problem with her last few singles too.....they didn't fit the basic/generic mold! 

8 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

her last album got to number one. 

Getting a #1 album nowadays means nothing tbh, I mean Gwen's album debuted at #1 with 84,000 meanwhile Glory was #3 with 110,000 oh and Alicia Keys' new album did 55,000 it's first week and was #2, the charts are a complete joke now and RCA essentially made Britney/Glory look like a flop because of the week they picked for it's release had she released it a week later it would've been a #1....they're such morons.......and Lady Gaga who I assume you're talking about had her album on sale for $3.99 on Amazon the week of it's release.....so of course it was gonna sell pretty well it's first week.  

10 minutes ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I fail to see how Circus was a trend chasing album, honestly the material on it and the singles didn't sound like anything that was out at the time.....and actually a good chunk of that album sounded like classic Britney! I'll give you FF to a degree because it was deff a very commercial album, but it still managed to set some trends instead of just following them.....I mean that album kind of ushered in the whole mainstream dub step trend. Now BJ completely follow trends which is part of why it failed....people expect something different from Britney not to mention that the music in general was just god awful on that album. Glory I think followed some trends but at the same time seemed much more like a classic Britney album.....I mean some tracks are totally generic like Just Luv Me, Better, MR but then you have If I'm Dancing, MOTM,CE and many others which are really different from what's popular today and even MM and Slumber Party while current sounding have a different edge to them than what's currently on radio. 

My problem with this article is that they lump Britney in with 3 artists that are struggling WAY more than she is......JLO hasn't had a hit in 7 years and hasn't had a truly successful album in eons not to mention her music was never as good as Britney's, Christina is almost completely irrelevant, and Mariah hasn't had a single chart higher than 83 since 2013.....not to mention Glory did double what her last album did it's first week. 

I think what people need to realize is one Britney is over being head ***** in the game, I truly think she just continues to make music because she enjoys it and likes to give her fans stuff and two it's only natural that she would become less popular the longer her career is......Janet said in an interview that once you hit the 10 year mark younger artists start to replace you.....well Britney is almost at the 20 year mark. I also think part of the problem is with the exception of BJ Britney's music is too good......the younger generation likes generic garbage tbh....I mean look at how popular Fifth Harmony's Worth It was.....that song is awful/basic not to mention all of Basic Swifts singles from her last album......it's like you have to release basic crap for them to like it and when you release something that's truly good they don't pay attention.....it think that was Gwen's problem with her last few singles too.....they didn't fit the basic/generic mold! 

okay..I probably said this 3 times in this thread already but I was not sure if I should include Circus..I just did :selenerz:

anyways Britney made her own version for that time with FF but the singles from it for sure are sounding like stuff that would be released at that time and for me, they don't even fit completely in the album..it's like u can see that they made the album one way and they made the main singles another way so that they can be commercially good.

I already said that they hired will.i.am as the main producer just cause he had made some recent hits and they wanted to ride that wave (but failed miserably cuz Britney stopped wanting to do albums just for the money (which she did from Circus (when she wanted to go urban but the label stopped her)) or FF (which was 100% commercial)

Glory was chasing trends (although it doesn't sound generic cuz there isn't a main trend in 2016) Britney said it herself...she was inspired by Selena,Ariana and Bieber..I can agree that not every song was following trends...MM,Invitation,Coupure Electrique sound something that she would never do (which is awesome cuz she is doing unexpected projects and that shows that she really wants to experiment) ...there are other songs that show that too but I get too into it and I don't want to write a book :britdrown:.

Anyways yea..I agree with u on that they shouldn't put her in with Mariah,JLo and Christina..I understand that they put her with Jlo and Xtina (cuz they started around the same time) but with Mariah??
I kinda feel like that people pay attention to Britney since FF even tho it had tremendous success..
Anyways the music landscape is changing..I don't want to hate on today's music cuz I find some songs good.Although we shouldn't hate on her cuz she IS trying to fit the mold in today's music (like Madonna did) but I don't think it is working for her..maybe it is the times..maybe she is being sabotaged..maybe it is because her team sucks balls..maybe it is a combination of everything...kinda ironic with me saying that buut I just kinda want her to experiment and leave the trends alone..I know it's kinda selfish of me but in the end she will do whatever she wants so my opinion is irrelevant either way loll

10 minutes ago, Soni said:

okay..I probably said this 3 times in this thread already but I was not sure if I should include Circus..I just did :selenerz:

anyways Britney made her own version for that time with FF but the singles from it for sure are sounding like stuff that would be released at that time and for me, they don't even fit completely in the album..it's like u can see that they made the album one way and they made the main singles another way so that they can be commercially good.

I already said that they hired will.i.am as the main producer just cause he had made some recent hits and they wanted to ride that wave (but failed miserably cuz Britney stopped wanting to do albums just for the money (which she did from Circus (when she wanted to go urban but the label stopped her)) or FF (which was 100% commercial)

Glory was chasing trends (although it doesn't sound generic cuz there isn't a main trend in 2016) Britney said it herself...she was inspired by Selena,Ariana and Bieber..I can agree that not every song was following trends...MM,Invitation,Coupure Electrique sound something that she would never do (which is awesome cuz she is doing unexpected projects and that shows that she really wants to experiment) ...there are other songs that show that too but I get too into it and I don't want to write a book :britdrown:.

Anyways yea..I agree with u on that they shouldn't put her in with Mariah,JLo and Christina..I understand that they put her with Jlo and Xtina (cuz they started around the same time) but with Mariah??
I kinda feel like that people pay attention to Britney since FF even tho it had tremendous success..
Anyways the music landscape is changing..I don't want to hate on today's music cuz I find some songs good.Although we shouldn't hate on her cuz she IS trying to fit the mold in today's music (like Madonna did) but I don't think it is working for her..maybe it is the times..maybe she is being sabotaged..maybe it is because her team sucks balls..maybe it is a combination of everything...kinda ironic with me saying that buut I just kinda want her to experiment and leave the trends alone..I know it's kinda selfish of me but in the end she will do whatever she wants so my opinion is irrelevant either way loll

I agree with you that she shouldn't try to fit in even thought that seems like the logical thing to do because that's not Britney....what made her so successful is that her music was always something different.....if you think about it from BOMT-Circus her music never really fit in with what was currently out at the time....it always sounded different.

I think that she needs to be really experimental on B10 and I don't want her to work with any trendy writer/producers. I also think she needs to go a more personal/deep direction and focus less on ***! She needs like a modern day ITZ, that album was like a complete 180 for her back in 2003 and was very experimental/personal! B10 needs to be full of songs like Mannequin, If I'm Dancing, And Then We Kiss, Unusual You, Heaven On Earth, Breathe On Me, Touch Of My Hand, Shadow, Coupure Electrique,  How I Roll etc. I think she really needs to work with Bloodshy again too! 

I mean it's just no secret that newer artists are usually more successful chart and number wise. Look at Madonna - she's still putting out quality music and has amazing shows yet she hasn't had a ton of hits lately. Her albums still go #1 though.

Britney could have hit singles though if she released the right ones - WB was obviously not a good choice for a single. It's the best track on the album imo but it's more like a remix and bc she says ***** all the time it was really controversial. Perfume isn't a strong song. Nobody cared about PG. MM is a good song but kind of weak as a first single - it made sense to release it as a first single but the GP doesnt want slower songs for her. Same about SP.

She would also need to promote her songs like newer artists do. She doesn't and the younger people are everywhere.

1 hour ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I agree with you that she shouldn't try to fit in even thought that seems like the logical thing to do because that's not Britney....what made her so successful is that her music was always something different.....if you think about it from BOMT-Circus her music never really fit in with what was currently out at the time....it always sounded different.

I think that she needs to be really experimental on B10 and I don't want her to work with any trendy writer/producers. I also think she needs to go a more personal/deep direction and focus less on ***! She needs like a modern day ITZ, that album was like a complete 180 for her back in 2003 and was very experimental/personal! B10 needs to be full of songs like Mannequin, If I'm Dancing, And Then We Kiss, Unusual You, Heaven On Earth, Breathe On Me, Touch Of My Hand, Shadow, Coupure Electrique,  How I Roll etc. I think she really needs to work with Bloodshy again too! 

Yup..although I don't include BOMT&OIDIA cuz they were kinda set in the trend of the revival of bubblegum pop (she is the one who did like 50% of the revival imo but did not set the trend entirely as it is a "revival")

She also led the EDM wave.

She was actually gonna do something different after ITZ! I've read somewhere that the cancelled project "Original Doll" was going to be more deep and won't be about (at least it wouldn't be centered around that) ***.The label cancelled it tho and I think she took a break out of spite(+wanting to spend time on relationship).So song from it were redirected to Britney and Kevin: Chaotic /Blackout I think..

Archived