George Michael disappeared. He achieved the 'legendary popstar' status. Do u think it will be the same w/ Britney?

Maryy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, puppylo16 said:

You. Bringing up her albums. 

...Do I really need to explain why I brought up her albums? If someone brings up an album, it must necessarily be about sales?

You guys are really bad at arguing that Britney is a music legend. She is not. She's a huge iconic figure and pop culture legend but to the world of music and musicality, she is not a legend like Mariah, Madonna and Prince. She is a music icon. She was the face of bubblegum pop and helped reviving the genre and had a very successful music career with tons of albums and records sold, that makes her a music icon.

I'm not sure why this bothers Exhalers? Barbra is a music legend but half of you didn't know who she was before she went against Britney on the BB200 the week of August 26th. Being a piece of pop culture makes Britney's name a lot more relevant. :rihstare:

18 hours ago, button said:

A music legend contributes something of value to music.

As much as I hate to agree with this statement, you're right. Britney has always made fun music with no deeper meanings. She tried to do that with Britney Jean but failed. And for Primeney, she really only has "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman" going for her, which wasn't a huge hit, it hasn't been performed since its release, and the GP doesn't really remember it.

She hasn't had a "Black or White" (which dealt with racism and interracial relationships), she hasn't had a "Papa Don't Preach" (which dealt with teen pregnancies and ********), she hasn't had an epic hit that has spawned conversations and discussions in the global zeitgeist. She's given us iconic imagery (the snake, the see-through Oops outfit, the Toxic diamond suit), she's given us great music. Those can't be denied. But not really much else.

I think the only thing she's influenced in the zeitgeist is conversations about mental illness and breakdowns, which of course is from her personal life, not from her music itself. Though it could be argued that songs like "Lucky", "My Prerogative", "Mona Lisa", "Gimme More", "Piece Of Me", "Circus", "Kill the Lights", "I Wanna Go" and "Alien" are meant to start a conversation about the pitfalls of fame, but none of those spawned a massive conversation about it.

Hell, people in the GP don't even know about Camp Britney, and she no longer does it, hasn't since like the ITZ era.

She's definitely a pop culture legend, but I don't think she's a musical legend. :( 

26 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

As much as I hate to agree with this statement, you're right. Britney has always made fun music with no deeper meanings. She tried to do that with Britney Jean but failed. And for Primeney, she really only has "I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman" going for her, which wasn't a huge hit, it hasn't been performed since its release, and the GP doesn't really remember it.

She hasn't had a "Black or White" (which dealt with racism and interracial relationships), she hasn't had a "Papa Don't Preach" (which dealt with teen pregnancies and ********), she hasn't had an epic hit that has spawned conversations and discussions in the global zeitgeist. She's given us iconic imagery (the snake, the see-through Oops outfit, the Toxic diamond suit), she's given us great music. Those can't be denied. But not really much else.

I think the only thing she's influenced in the zeitgeist is conversations about mental illness and breakdowns, which of course is from her personal life, not from her music itself. Though it could be argued that songs like "Lucky", "My Prerogative", "Mona Lisa", "Gimme More", "Piece Of Me", "Circus", "Kill the Lights", "I Wanna Go" and "Alien" are meant to start a conversation about the pitfalls of fame, but none of those spawned a massive conversation about it.

Hell, people in the GP don't even know about Camp Britney, and she no longer does it, hasn't since like the ITZ era.

She's definitely a pop culture legend, but I don't think she's a musical legend. :( 

In what world sis 

It gets sung on talent shows by teen girls, it wouldn't say it's iconic but it's definitely remembered. 

Anyways, I'm leaving my fav George Michael song here seeing as there's a lack of tribute on this forum.

1 minute ago, confidentnotcocky said:

In what world sis 

It gets sung on talent shows by teen girls, it wouldn't say it's iconic but it's definitely remembered. 

Anyways, I'm leaving my fav George Michael song here seeing as there's a lack of tribute on this forum.

The only songs I know by him are Careless Whisper and Last Christmas. :gloria: I'm a flop. I also know he tried to hit on a cop in a bathroom once. :jackk:

But yeah, I've never heard Not A Girl at talent competitions.

1 minute ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

The only songs I know by him are Careless Whisper and Last Christmas. :gloria: I'm a flop. I also know he tried to hit on a cop in a bathroom once. :jackk:

But yeah, I've never heard Not A Girl at talent competitions.

Oh that wasn't a dig at you btw.

In America his career was damaged when he did a music with George Bush and Tony BLair being gay or something. 

It's on talent shows in the UK anyway. I sometimes hear it on the radio when they play old songs.

9 hours ago, PBoy said:

Why are you realiting the death of someone to Britney? Why this post? Is this really necessary? Does it really matter to talk about status when someone just passed away? You and a lot of people here have some sicks problems, there is a time and place for everything, but right now, this is ridiculous

12 hours ago, neel21 said:

To the person who thinks Britney does not have musical contributions/ musical talent: Here's a list of things that fully support your POV:

1. She came up with Everytime's piano melody

2. She could sing Whitney Houston very powerfully and with emotion

3. Had Freakshow and Hold It Against Me not been made, EDM and dubstep would never have been a thing, not at least as mainstream music

4. She wrote Mona Lisa and single handedly wrote Someday --- try and figure out a more personal song that these two, and don't give me **** about Beyonce and her faux- BLM and My-husband-is-cheating-on-me attitude

5. Toxic. Need I say more?

6. She is the one of the only female singers to hit low notes so perfectly. When sung appropriately, low notes are much more soothing than the screaming that Christina does or the holds that Carey or Grande do.

Is that enough, or do you need more? @button

I don't think that user was discrediting Britney's talent and I'm sure he meant contributions as in making an impact on the music world.

1. She did THAT, however Everytime is her only "hit" ballad and not many people are aware she composed it

2. Ok, she had a great voice when she was a teenager although not really on Whitney's level but it doesn't matter since this thread is about her impact and the world basically knows her as a lip syncing pop star

3. HIAM yes, Freakshow was never a single and its parent album wasn't exactly a commercial smash. Anyway she didn't contributed to HIAM's creation, I mean we're talking about FFney, that producer was probably like "Here's your new song" and Britney like "Ok sounds cool" 

4. :orangu: I hope you're not serious, yes, those are personal songs (Someday is one of my faves) but the gp doesn't even know about their existence. Many pop girls have written personal songs with arguable better lyrics.

5. Toxic is a classic, definetely remembered but it was a Kylie Minogue reject, Britney just did the right thing by choosing it as a single.

6. Yeah her low register is great, again, the gp doesn't know about her vocal range since all they know are her baby voice songs. Mariah is known for her 5th octave range including her amazing low notes btw.

12 hours ago, GetBack98 said:

I don't think that user was discrediting Britney's talent and I'm sure he meant contributions as in making an impact on the music world.

1. She did THAT, however Everytime is her only "hit" ballad and not many people are aware she composed it

2. Ok, she had a great voice when she was a teenager although not really on Whitney's level but it doesn't matter since this thread is about her impact and the world basically knows her as a lip syncing pop star

3. HIAM yes, Freakshow was never a single and its parent album wasn't exactly a commercial smash. Anyway she didn't contributed to HIAM's creation, I mean we're talking about FFney, that producer was probably like "Here's your new song" and Britney like "Ok sounds cool" 

4. :orangu: I hope you're not serious, yes, those are personal songs (Someday is one of my faves) but the gp doesn't even know about their existence. Many pop girls have written personal songs with arguable better lyrics.

5. Toxic is a classic, definetely remembered but it was a Kylie Minogue reject, Britney just did the right thing by choosing it as a single.

6. Yeah her low register is great, again, the gp doesn't know about her vocal range since all they know are her baby voice songs. Mariah is known for her 5th octave range including her amazing low notes btw.

it's kinda sad but i have to agree most of these things. :orangu:

sometimes we can get a little bit delusional when we talk about Britney because we LOVE her to death... that's perfectly natural. i act like that a lot of times... but we gotta be morte racional sometimes too. 

Guest StrawberryKisses

Thing is, George didn't "disappear"... he chose to leave the US market. He's talked about it in interviews.

Britney is already a legend.

Go to someone and ask "Do you like Britney?"

More likely than not, they'll know which Britney you're referring to.

• Super Mods
On 12/26/2016 at 11:03 AM, button said:

...Do I really need to explain why I brought up her albums? If someone brings up an album, it must necessarily be about sales?

You guys are really bad at arguing that Britney is a music legend. She is not. She's a huge iconic figure and pop culture legend but to the world of music and musicality, she is not a legend like Mariah, Madonna and Prince. She is a music icon. She was the face of bubblegum pop and helped reviving the genre and had a very successful music career with tons of albums and records sold, that makes her a music icon.

I'm not sure why this bothers Exhalers? Barbra is a music legend but half of you didn't know who she was before she went against Britney on the BB200 the week of August 26th. Being a piece of pop culture makes Britney's name a lot more relevant. :rihstare:

I'm sorry but how can you say shes not? You bring up those two albums yet you might as well just say her whole catalogue then. If you're not talking about sales because this forum always brings that up every five topics.

You brought up Madonna yet all her career she was looked at as a joke especially during her early years...need proof? Watch her recent acceptance speech to hear it from herself. Just because Britney doesnt make deep or politically charged music doesnt mean she isn't capable of the legend status. She is the cookie cutter mold for the perfect popstar, even today many singers are following the Britney textbook. She garnered huge respect from her peers and whos to say she won't make deep personal music in the future? You write her off as not worthy of legendary status but many music legends especially from the hall of fame werent successful in their careers or werent recognized until they were dead. Some had albums that didnt sell yet later were appreciated years later. Shes made a lasting impact in people's lives that till this day still ingrained into people's minds. There isn't a checklist for being a legend, otherwise half of the legends wouldn't even qualify. 

• 3 years later...

Um, George Michael's Faith album outsold Michael Jackson's Bad album in the US. That proved how big deal he was during that time and he decided he doesn't want to be a manufactured popstar and decided to wrote his next album calles ''Listen Without Prejudice" to distant himself from his pop image. 

Like Button poster said from other pages, Britney is a pop icon but not a music legend. 

Archived