George Michael disappeared. He achieved the 'legendary popstar' status. Do u think it will be the same w/ Britney?

Maryy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, button said:

Honey all of what you mentioned cements her as a legendary popstar, not a music legend. George was the latter.

Do people even make the distinction? :tiffsmoke:

George wasn't a legend. A music legend is someone who stands the test of time such as Madonna, Michael, Bon Jovi, etc. He was a music icon and he did wonders for the gays and many singers (britney included). 

5 minutes ago, BreatheOnMoi said:

With Britney's "Freakshow", mainstream dubstep would have never existed. This is true story. Shes a musical genius and the hater in this thread is pressed  :shameless:

I spend hours requesting her songs but in the end I'm a hater? :weirdmeout:

I just want people to make the distinction and give Britney her legendary status where it's due.

To the person who thinks Britney does not have musical contributions/ musical talent: Here's a list of things that fully support your POV:

1. She came up with Everytime's piano melody

2. She could sing Whitney Houston very powerfully and with emotion

3. Had Freakshow and Hold It Against Me not been made, EDM and dubstep would never have been a thing, not at least as mainstream music

4. She wrote Mona Lisa and single handedly wrote Someday --- try and figure out a more personal song that these two, and don't give me **** about Beyonce and her faux- BLM and My-husband-is-cheating-on-me attitude

5. Toxic. Need I say more?

6. She is the one of the only female singers to hit low notes so perfectly. When sung appropriately, low notes are much more soothing than the screaming that Christina does or the holds that Carey or Grande do.

Is that enough, or do you need more? @button

10 hours ago, Million Billion said:

Britney was a legend even on her prime, how many singers release a Greatest Hits album with only 5 years of career and 4 albums? That says it all. Not so many. :staysalty:

About George Michael, he was not a music legend but he was definitely a pop music icon, his legacy is amazing and he did so much for the gay community and paved the way for many further singers as well as Madonna, Michael Jackson, etc. :donewithit:

Hillary Duff released a greatest hits album with only 3 albums out I think lol

Guest StrawberryKisses

This is really hard to say. I think she'll be remembered as a legend for sure, but like Michael Jackson, there'll always be someone bringing up 2007 or her lipsyncing. It'll be extremely heartbreaking though. She impacted two decades. That's like two generations (in music terms). Problem with Britney is that she is not perceived to be vocally great like Aretha or Mariah and will be remembered for her image and dance skills. That's okay though, not everyone is good at everything.

And George Michael IS a legend. Y'all don't know his Faith album. It was BIG in the late 80's.

Why are you realiting the death of someone to Britney? Why this post? Is this really necessary? Does it really matter to talk about status when someone just passed away? You and a lot of people here have some sicks problems, there is a time and place for everything, but right now, this is ridiculous

I hope Britney wasn't the first thing you thought of when you heard George Michael died cos that's weird. :squintney:

George Michael is a high end pop icon, not a legend. The list of 80s pop stars in that category goes on because their songs and images a so iconic and recognized today. Like Faith, careless whisper, wake me up and last Christmas super iconic, arguably more than most of Britney's tbh. 

Britney is a weird one, she's a high end pop icon too. She would have been an instant legend if she was flawless with the Circus comeback performances, that would have done it, but she got dragged instead. She needs a huge era before she retires and she'll be on the right track. If not she will definitely become a legend after death.

23 minutes ago, PBoy said:

Why are you realiting the death of someone to Britney? Why this post? Is this really necessary? Does it really matter to talk about status when someone just passed away? You and a lot of people here have some sicks problems, there is a time and place for everything, but right now, this is ridiculous

6 minutes ago, confidentnotcocky said:

I hope Britney wasn't the first thing you thought of when you heard George Michael died cos that's weird. :squintney:

George Michael is a high end pop icon, not a legend. The list of 80s pop stars in that category goes on because their songs and images a so iconic and recognized today. Like Faith, careless whisper, wake me up and last Christmas super iconic, arguably more than most of Britney's tbh. 

Britney is a weird one, she's a high end pop icon too. She would have been an instant legend if she was flawless with the Circus comeback performances, that would have done it, but she got dragged instead. She needs a huge era before she retires and she'll be on the right track. If not she will definitely become a legend after death.

for both of you, i was just wondering about this...

i read and heard in a lot of news (on tv and on internet) people calling George Michael a 'LEGENDARY POPSTAR', 'the pop icon', and so on... so i immediately started to wondering what could happen to Britney in these terms. nothing more. 

it can be a creep debate now because he just dead but it's a healthy one. no second or bad thoughts here.

:brit:

Britney is already considered a legend and it's been that way for years. It's not uncommon at all to hear her mentioned in the same way as mj, Madonna, and non musical acts such as Marilyn Monroe. And when she does sadly pass she'll get tons more recognition than she has now. Look at mj, Marilyn, etc. I believe Madonna put it best: "they'll kiss my *** when I'm dead"

Britney will be known as a legendary popstar and a huge influence on pop culture in general.

George Michael will be known as a legendary musical artist.

He was able to make the leap from fluffy popstar to musical legend through his songwriting, voice and live performances. I'm not sure that Britney, at the moment, would receive the same kind of recognition.

13 hours ago, button said:

Are you really trying to argue that Britney is a music legend? You want us to lump her with Mariah Carey and George?

You can be a legendary popstar and a pop culture legend without being being a music legend. A music legend contributes something of value to music. It's someone with vast musical talent (songwriting, instruments ect) . It's very easy to make this distinction. :weirdmeout:

13 hours ago, BoyToySoldier said:

So you're saying that pop music isn't "real" music? What are you talking about hun? :weirdmeout:

i think what he's trying to say is britney is more of a POPSTAR legend like madonna and michael who's more known for their stardom and impact on pop culture (with the help of their music ofc) rather than a MUSICAL legend who's more known for their musical works and less for their 'celebritiness' like amy winehouse, mariah, or say, aretha right?

and in the end the one that most people think is a 'real' legend is the popstar type anyway so i don't think theres any need to be pressed :verycool:

and on topic, she's DEFINITELY going to be remembered as a legend. like half of the population already consider her that anyway so after she pass (hopefully still SO many many years to come) she's 100% going to be lump in with michael and madonna as a pop legend.

• Super Mods
17 hours ago, button said:

She is a pop culture legend but nothing more than a music icon. Her chances at becoming a music legend faded starting from Circus. What kind of music legend has Britney Jean and Femme fatale in her discography? :tiffsmoke:

You do realize many legends havent sold **** when they were alive but after they died, their albums became popular. You think the GP care about sales? 

Archived