How Brit can respond to Glory flop

Cbrit

Without the underperformance of Impossible Princess, Kylie Minogue may never have released Light Years. Without the underperformance of American Life, Madonna may never have released Confessions on a Dancefloor.

For the wisest mainstream artists, flop records motivate digging deeper and working harder to release a body of work that will connect. Flops are something to learn and grow from - and they are an important process in a cycle of evolution.

Britney..... I hope you learn something from all of the hard work you put into Glory and the limited success that followed it.

You are a popstar who once captivated the attention of the general public for being an outlier. The age you became famous, your innocence at odds with your sexuality, your misguided decisions, your subsequent breakdown, your survival and comeback... these set you apart from the pack and made you one to watch.

Since then, your life has become stable, predictable, grounded. Great for your personally... but in the landscape of pop - limited expression of your personality in promo, 8 years without an image change, and little progression in terms of musical output. Glory is teaching you a lesson.

Change your image. Please leave your top lip alone - you're beautiful. 

Your album art counts. Your music videos account for much of your success. You are not a stage of your career where you can **** off huge directors and think that your name will save an album campaign. If that is your approach, you'll find a couple of nights in Vegas will yield you far more income than releasing records.

I appreciate how hands on you were with the music this time around. Your vocals were great. You still need those killer singles though - even if you're slowing the tempo. Your music, artwork, video, and styling in promo - need to work together to communicate a consistent image/message/theme through your art. 

As someone who has rooted for you for a long time - I'd like to see you come back with a fresh look, sound, and a consistent image/theme running through your work. I'd like your professional work to captivate the public the way your personal life and personality once did. 

You can do this girl. Wrap Vegas, bunker down, disappear... reflect on Glory, learn from the experience... and then re-emerge like we've never seen you before. :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney Jean was bad. Pretty Girls was bad.

Glory is great.

She's stepping in the right direction. But I really want her to go full experimental / indietronica for B10.

Get with those producers that didn't make it the last time or Madonna has worked with like Mirwais Ahmadzaï, Stuart Price, Martin Solveig, hit up Dev Hynes and Tiësto again, etc.

48 minutes ago, ifuseekari said:

I just want her to continue making quality music. Success is just secondary. :slayney:

the problem is those two things are connected, if she sells bad (and she is for the last 4 years) RCA will deny investing in her, they are one of the worst companies to have a contract with out there, you do realize they didnt even wanna release christinas second single from lotus because her album sales and single sales were shitty?  If Britney keeps underperforming, the next time we hear an album from her will be when RCA decides they should try selling Brit again, which will be in 10 years.

49 minutes ago, ifuseekari said:

I just want her to continue making quality music. Success is just secondary. :slayney:

You know that if the next CDs flop she's not gonna release more music, right? Record COMPANIES look for profits. If this trend continues, she's not gonna be profitable enough.

Archived