'I hated Britney Spears until I saw myself in her' - wonderful buzzfeed article

Dynasty

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very well-written article. The following quotes particularly stuck with me; and the final passage, I believe, summarizes that which will one day be appreciated as intrinsically intertwined with Britney's remarkable legacy:

"...Most of all, Britney would make me think about what it means — and what it costs — to survive in a world that can’t quite stop hating you."

"....If I learned what it felt like to be wanted, then I learned, too, how quickly desire could curdle into something ugly. Something destructive. It was a lesson I’d be reminded of again and again in the years to come, as the real Britney transformed from glittering teen queen to walking punchline."

(Regarding the songs off of Glory): "I hear, too, what it sounds like to be shaped by the fears you carry with you, but not destroyed by them. In the end, what I hear in Britney now is what I’ve always heard in her: the story I most need to tell about myself."

2 hours ago, Draw The Blinds said:

What high schools did ya'll go to? :wtfdidusay:

Everyone in my school loved Britney during her prime, it wasn't "cool" to hate Brit in my school :queenflopga2:

It wasn't cool to like Britney at my first high school. The girls could and did, the guys... could not openly admit it, unless it was to say they wanted to **** her. But you'd be made fun of for shitty music taste regardless of gender or anything else if you admitted to liking her or pop.

I'm from the South though, so not a big shocker there. I also went to a rural school for one year (the one mentioned above) and a school in the city for the other three, and at that school nobody gave a damn what you listened to because everyone was busy doing copious amounts of ***** and partying. You could play Britney and they would not care, lmao.

Both were during her prime, however. So I kind of remember both sides, where it was acceptable to like her and where it was cool to hate her.

12 minutes ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

I literally just said I never did. :jackk: I said I hated ON her, as in talked ****, but I never actually hated her. And this was back in 2010, I think?

i Gotcha :plzexplain:

7 hours ago, fucknfurter said:

It wasn't cool to like Britney at my first high school. The girls could and did, the guys... could not openly admit it, unless it was to say they wanted to **** her. But you'd be made fun of for shitty music taste regardless of gender or anything else if you admitted to liking her or pop.

I'm from the South though, so not a big shocker there. I also went to a rural school for one year (the one mentioned above) and a school in the city for the other three, and at that school nobody gave a damn what you listened to because everyone was busy doing copious amounts of ***** and partying. You could play Britney and they would not care, lmao.

Both were during her prime, however. So I kind of remember both sides, where it was acceptable to like her and where it was cool to hate her.

I hear you. I guess I lived in my own bubble lol I just remember going to school the next day after her VMA performances and everyone would be talking about it. Like even if they didn't wanna admit they liked her she was still the topic of conversion :brit:

Archived