It's time to talk about 'that'

pseudo_82

I honestly don't care about the charts or people not checking for her, that's the GP's lost if they slept on a really good album :foh: Honestly, idk if that's like a thing that's possible, but maybe they should've done a double single with DYWCO and SP, they work perfectly together, but oh well, I live for SP and its video, that's all I wanted tbh :cinderellaney:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about the singles choice. I'd still pick MM for the lead single cause it was something different for her and it was a great way to show how Glory is going to be and with the original video, it would definitely be a top 10 hit, guaranteed. Now, about Slumber Party ... idk. The video is amazing and ppl are loving both the video AND the song, but the radios are just not picking it up. I'm guessing Britney should release only high energy dance songs and leave those that are bit different only on albums? I still think Love Me Down would be great as a single, it's definitely something you can jam to in the club... idk.

2 hours ago, Erreur 2 La Nature said:

First of all, 'Make Me...' didn't flop. It "underperformed" for an A-List celeb like Britney who did major promo for the song. It still sold 900k copies worldwide. Everything is relative. Some people consider Beyonce's "Formation" a hit. This song has been promoted as hell and even on the Superbowl and only managed to sell 950k copies. So only 50k more than 'Make Me...'.

Also, we know Britney isn't popular anymore since 2013. She's probably not getting a top 10 anymore unless she collabs with a big artist right now : Drake, Rihanna, Katy, Taylor, Beyoncé, Adele...

Slumber Party is doing very bad for the moment yeah but it can still pick up thanks to the radio and a few performances.

And I think Make Me could have hit top 10 if she released it in August with the original video and all the promo. Their release strategy has been AWFUL, same for the album !

Everything written above is 100% correct! :queenriri:

Obviously there were some complications in release strategy and her team did nothing to help that situation going. There was some buzz for Make Me (although I believe it was released a little bit too late) and they couldn't use it. They even didn't wanted to mute it, they just pretend it never happened. I mean if we had BBMA performance and video close to Slumber Party at the same time, I believe Glory would perform better, way better. But we can talk, we can hope it will get better (but I don't think so), but Im happy that we can enjoy music and 2016-ney, thats all 

49 minutes ago, TheCharmedTributes1 said:

I agree about the singles choice. I'd still pick MM for the lead single cause it was something different for her and it was a great way to show how Glory is going to be and with the original video, it would definitely be a top 10 hit, guaranteed. Now, about Slumber Party ... idk. The video is amazing and ppl are loving both the video AND the song, but the radios are just not picking it up. I'm guessing Britney should release only high energy dance songs and leave those that are bit different only on albums? I still think Love Me Down would be great as a single, it's definitely something you can jam to in the club... idk.

She should promote it more. At the time she released the video she should've perform it on tv couple of times, talk about it on radios, make her social media more alive. I love 2016-ney performs a lot but in these days you need to multitask and do everything right now, this is right now era. And her old approach to promo and release strategy isn't doing well.

Also a radio deal wouldn't do any damage I guess, but well...

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Receipts? Im not following her, is she flopping? All I know is the album is pretty mediocre.

The singles haven't done well on radio at all, even though PI was #1 in over 60 countries on iTunes and MR was #1 WW for several days following just a snippet of the song on Carpool Karaoke. Radio just isn't here for her this era, so it's hurting her on the BB Hot 100 a lot. 

Although to be fair, her second single still doesn't even have a MV out. Her management/promo seems like a big mess the last two eras.

However, despite all that, the album itself is doing very well and exceeded expectations: Joanne is the 2nd biggest female debut of the year (following only Beyonce's Lemonade), and still remains in the top 10 albums on iTunes (currently at #7).

Also, I saw someone mention the 3.99 deal for Joanne; however, that was only available for the very first day of album sales, only for Amazon prime customers, AND her biggest competition who also released a new album that same week (Michael Buble), also had the same deal...although his lasted all week long. Yet, Buble debuted with only 1/3 of Joanne's sales (despite him opening with 200k+ for his previous album and having originally been considered a strong contender for the #1 slot against Gaga).

Personally, I think Glory is superior to Joanne in terms of quality; nevertheless, Gaga is very talented and her accomplishments shouldn't be minimized. 

1 hour ago, LostInAnImage said:

Personally, I think Glory is superior to Joanne in terms of quality; nevertheless, Gaga is very talented and her accomplishments shouldn't be minimized. 

I love Gaga and Britney, but I have to disagree with you on that one. I think Joanne was really hyped and it's from an artist that usually delivers with really well-put together works. However, with Joanne, I was a little bit disappointed. I love Sinner's Prayer, Angel Down and Dancin' in Circles, but that's about it. The rest varies from "meh" to "skip" for me personally.

Britney, on the other hand, has been underperforming for years, in my opinion. If you realize she started with BOMT, Oops, Britney, ITZ, and Blackout, then Circus, FF and especially BJ, are really not up to par. Glory, however, is imo comparable to some of her earlier work in terms of quality. There are literally 3-4 songs that I skip on a regular basis.

Sure, if you want deep lyrics and everything, go for Gaga, but Britney's never been that. And I'm now only talking to production values, so vocals, instruments, melodies, catchiness etc.

EDIT: I read you wrong, my bad. It's late hahaha, so yeah, I agree with you on this one lol.

I don't think the single choices were bad. I just think there were certain things that put a bunch of dents into the whole era.

•delayed single release

•scrapped original mv that everyone was looking forward to

•lame replacement mv for MM

•album leak

•bad album cover

•ok VMA performance 

But this era is way wayyyyyy better than BJ, and at least we have confidentney back, a good album, and an amazing music video

4 hours ago, MX3 said:

i agree that an uptempo track mightve been more successful. i think the gp wants a pump up britney song, they associate her with high energy club jams since BJ and FF and even before that with womanizer, if you seek amy, circus...gimme more....

I prefer moody mid tempo Britney - iTZ is one of my fave albums of all time. But I think the public just associates her with dance music, so do you wanna come over mightve been a bigger success as lead single. 

if im dancing is sick though im totally here for that for #3! 

It should have been If I'm Dancing and SP for video 3. But there won't be a #3. It's been 2 singles so far since BJ, I doubt they will bother with a #3.

What I like most about this album is that it's different and I think that makes it perfect. MM is a great song, different to all her previous lead singles but it's great. Same with SP. I love the sound of the album and imo, they were good choices to be the singles. The only problem is the promo... She's not doing anything, even when she released the single a couple days ago. How on earth is she going to reach the GP and compete with all the popular artist? She can't do it because she's not the star she used to be a few years ago (and her team doesn't seem to understant that)

MM was a mess and they ruined the lead single. They released the song and then NOTHING for more than 1 month, the music video, the following promo... All about it was pretty bad. Then, she released SP with no single cover, no single release and now it seems she forgot about it. No promo at all. Besides that, I love the songs and I'm happy they released them as singles.

But I agree about IID, that song needs to be a single. :hipney: Sadly, I don't think her team will make a smart and good choice with this album :eheeek:

2 hours ago, BabyGirl | AALIYAH said:

I love Gaga and Britney, but I have to disagree with you on that one. I think Joanne was really hyped and it's from an artist that usually delivers with really well-put together works. However, with Joanne, I was a little bit disappointed. I love Sinner's Prayer, Angel Down and Dancin' in Circles, but that's about it. The rest varies from "meh" to "skip" for me personally.

Britney, on the other hand, has been underperforming for years, in my opinion. If you realize she started with BOMT, Oops, Britney, ITZ, and Blackout, then Circus, FF and especially BJ, are really not up to par. Glory, however, is imo comparable to some of her earlier work in terms of quality. There are literally 3-4 songs that I skip on a regular basis.

Sure, if you want deep lyrics and everything, go for Gaga, but Britney's never been that. And I'm now only talking to production values, so vocals, instruments, melodies, catchiness etc.

EDIT: I read you wrong, my bad. It's late hahaha, so yeah, I agree with you on this one lol.

No worries! I'm also not exactly the most succinct person, so it's easy for anyone (tired or not) to misconstrue something in my endless stream of words :bcutelaugh:

I also LOVE Dancin' In Circles; it NEEDS to be a single. 

17 hours ago, Derrickr411 said:

Honestly your almost correct, however there isn't another Britney Spears yet... Britney replaced Madonna. What I'm seeing isn't that the material isn't great it's just that radio just is NOT supporting her. They continue to play the same 10 songs over and over yet they don't play hers which are newer and great. Considering media stations are owned by a small number of families I believe they are trying to push her out of the spotlight maybe Bc she rebelled against them... there's something just not quite right about it all TBH 

Thank you! :mhm:

Archived