Local radio station Removes Slumber Party: "It didn't do well locally or nationally"

JordyAF

21 minutes ago, Derek08 said:

That's an unpopular opinion. 

It might be in this forum, but it isn't out there. And that applies for most of the songs on Glory. There is no instant hit, so they had to do things differently to bring whatever single they picked to the GP. To make them turn their heads and pay attention to her new music, and make them listen to the album. And I think a huge part of the responsibility relied on the record label, but they aren't here for Britney when they have other acts that require less work.

I really think the single was for the fans. Sometimes fans have the reason, like in IWG's case. Other times they don't, like with Criminal or Slumber Party. Another popular opinion in this forum is that DYWCO shouldn't be released as a single, and everyone chooses to ignore the fact that even after SP's video, it still has more plays than SP on Spotify. And it's not because it was released before, because first of all, it came out just a week before, but it was the third promotional song, and yet it has more plays than Private Show or Clumsy. Following that logic PS should be the second most played, and Clumsy the third one.

I won't say that DYWCO would be a #1 hit, but the fact that it's the second most played song on the album despite being abhorred by most fans now, after they heard the other Glory tracks (because when it first came out it was loved), should've been a hint, if not for the fans that can think whatever they want whatever they need, a hint for Britney's team/record label that the song had more potential than the other tracks to succeed. Some argue that it's been already performed and didn't cause any noise, but that's unfair, because how many viewers did it have that Today show? And the one from iHeart Festival wasn't even televised, and the iTunes one neither. So we'll never really know how it could've worked with the GP if it was actually brought to them in a more effective way.

I was of the idea that a great videoclip could do wonders even for the worst of the songs. But I guess the situation is so much harder now for Britney than what I thought. I really, really, really wish that SP became a smash hit, or at least a decent one, because I really, really want to have more videos from Glory. That's what I wish, but I'm not surprised at all by its performance, especially considering it wasn't even released as a proper single. Watching so many people support it as the best choice, and Love Me Down as the second, it really made me think "well, maybe I'm the one that is wrong, the one with the unpopular opinion, and they're right, and non fans are gonna love it if they say so". But sadly that isn't the case, and I wasn't that wrong when I said there was no hit factor in SP. Britney and ya'll can still prove me wrong in the next weeks though; this is just getting started. I'm looking forward to it :foh:

But if things don't get better, at least we got an awesome video to close the era with dignity.  :cinderellaney::hipney:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about the only song everyone likes who I make listen to the album is DYWCO. Clumsy is popular too. Lots of meh reactions to Slumber Party.

The fans love SP because it is urbanney. But the GP thinks of big dance hits when they think of Britney. They think others do ~urban~ better. EVERY BIG BRITNEY HIT IS A ******* UPTEMPO DANCE SONG. ALL of her mid-tempo and ballad stuff flopped except Everytime. ALL OF IT. Perfume, Criminal, DLMBTLTK, Not a Girl, Someday, Make Me...zzz from the public

Release DYWCO, Clumsy, or LMD if you want an actual hit, Exhale is ALWAYS wrong about what will smash

2 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

My question is, do people even request other songs by other artists? How do they measure the popularity of a song? I can't imagine someone these days tweeting or calling a radio station to play a Beyoncé song or The Weeknd or stuff like that. Radio just play them and people eat it. Maybe there are fans like in this forum who are aware of those online polls or surveys, but the GP, a casual listener, won't go to their phones and computers and say "oh I liked this Ariana Grande song I heard earlier on the radio, I'm gonna rate it good so they keep playing it".

It's gonna be really hard for Britney to have a hit again. It's been too long since her last huge hit. Two years without a hit is an eternity in music industry, and the longer it takes for her to come up with a smash hit, the harder it's gonna be to accomplish that. She's never been a radio's favorite. Her success was always thanks to her music videos, but the MTV / TRL days are gone.

YT is the new scale to rate the videos' popularity, but Britney despite having multiple certified videos and such, has been left behind by all of the new acts that have come up these past years. If she released a SP kind of video in let's say, 2013 to follow up the success of Scream & Shout, it would've given her more longevity in GP's mind as a "cool artist". WB came too late in the year, S&S remix and OLL weren't that huge, or huge at all. WB was still some kind of fine, but Perfume really ruined it all. But what ruined it even more was leaving the entire 2014 with no single. Even Robotney in ISBE could've had a chance, but they didn't even try. Not even Alien. And then "coming back" in 2015 with that horrible video that it was Pretty Girls, with one of the most hated artists at the time, didn't help either. And then, having an amazing song like Tom's Diner, just to pay it dust, unforgivable.

2016 has been an amazing year in terms of Britney coming back to the public's eye, as an image, as a brand, but they've done a poor job in putting her back into the music scene. Wasting the opportunity to premiere the new single at the BBMA. The messy release of MM, Glory being sold and thus leaking earlier than planned. Waiting a month to perform the lead single, only performing two songs of the album, doing festivals but no tv shows. I mean, almost everything they've done this year has been good, but there are still important things that are missing. I repeat, if you wait more than 4 years to have a huge hit, you miss your place in the music scene. You become a thing of the past. But if she kept releasing hits every year, they would still feel her as a current artist, like Rihanna, who never takes a long break.

We can't blame them, because they actually tried. They really thought Perfume was gonna be groundbreaking. They really thought PG was gonna be huge. The thing is, ok, they saw it wasn't, they should've released something right away to correct their mistake, instead of leaving the flop Perfume to represent her "latest single" from December 2013 - May 2015 and then again with PG, being her latest single from May 2015 - July 2016. As an artist I think the worst they can do is "take a break" or a pause after a bad single, and leave that bad taste in GP's mouth for too long. You take a break after a smashing hit, so you leave people remembering you by that, and expecting your comeback more than anything else in the world. 

Sorry for the long post, that's not even related to the OP's, but here take a Throwingshoeney :foh:

Love me some boiling-hot tea! :milkney:

11 hours ago, Someone Who Knows said:

Just about the only song everyone likes who I make listen to the album is DYWCO. Clumsy is popular too. Lots of meh reactions to Slumber Party.

The fans love SP because it is urbanney. But the GP thinks of big dance hits when they think of Britney. They think others do ~urban~ better. EVERY BIG BRITNEY HIT IS A ******* UPTEMPO DANCE SONG. ALL of her mid-tempo and ballad stuff flopped except Everytime. ALL OF IT. Perfume, Criminal, DLMBTLTK, Not a Girl, Someday, Make Me...zzz from the public

Release DYWCO, Clumsy, or LMD if you want an actual hit, Exhale is ALWAYS wrong about what will smash

But UK RCA overruled USA RCA. USA wanted Just luv me so we weren't getting DYWCO, LMD, or Clumsy as the second single. Hopefully we get DYWCO or LMD as the third single.

4 minutes ago, bassomnia said:

Are we gonna freak out on every single radio adding/removing it...

*******, pls, they gonna add it sooner or later, this is a sleeper hit ok?

Do radio stations ever add back a song after removing it? If that can happen then I wouldn't be worried, they will add it again when it starts doing well :decisions:

Guest Nick Jonas
7 minutes ago, button said:

Do radio stations ever add back a song after removing it? If that can happen then I wouldn't be worried, they will add it again when it starts doing well :decisions:

:nonono:

15 hours ago, Derek08 said:

Not true. Her songs do well when radio hosts decide to play them. Baby, oops, toxic, womanizer, circus, and I wanna go we're all number one radio hits. Crazy, 3, hold it against me, till the world ends, scream and shout, every time, and I believe stronger were all top five hits. If u seek Amy was a top ten hit and work , make me, me against the music, gimme more, and piece of me were all top twenty. 

That's an unpopular opinion. 

Top five at least

BOMT: Baby and Crazy

Oops: Oops and Stronger

Britney: lol

ITZ: Toxic and Everytime

Blackout: boo

Circus: Womanizer and Circus

Femme Fatale: I wanna go, Hold it Against Me, TTWE... and also Criminal did well on radios where I live.

Britney Jean: Scream and shout if it counts

not a good record for such a legendary pop artist 

Archived