Why is there always a Deluxe edition?

kutayuysaler

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kutayuysaler said:

Yeah, I don't hate that point but for example why didn't Britney release all the 18 tracks as "Glory". Why she separated 5 songs for deluxe and 1 song for Japan? (don't tell me "for money" that can't be the only reason)

Well, actually, in Japan - I think this is the reason - people are actually invested in buying CDs and actually supporting the artists, which is why most of the time Japan gets the extra stuff, because the artist wants to let them know that they like the country. Japan, as well as many other Eastern Asian countries, are invested in buying CDs, because their native artists, like for example JPop and KPop artists, also have many versions of their albums (example: 2NE1 - Crush has a pink and a black version of the Korean version of their album, they have a 1 CD (only Japanese), 2 CD (Japanese and Korean), 1 CD/1 DVD (both Japanese) and a 1 CD/2 DVD (all Japanese) of the Japanese version of their album) and go even more overboard than the American artists, because they even play around with different cases, obi strips etc.

For example: Lindsay Lohan's had two albums, Speak and A Little More Personal. Both did decently worldwide, but were #1 in Taiwan, which is why both of these albums were released with extras like a poster, a calendar and an obi strip over there as the only deluxe edition, just to show Taiwan: Hey, thanks for making my album #1. For this reason, artists like Beyoncé and Miley Cyrus also have Platinum editions of their albums to show love for their album being platinum in the US.

BTW, I really like it, because it's cool to collect the various editions, or to look at them all and look into which one is the most "deluxe" and buy that one and I think it has toned down over the years, because for example, if you compare ...Baby One More Time, Britney, Circus and Glory, you can see that:

• Almost literally every country in Asia has a different cover for ...Baby One More time, and there are also like many variations in tracklisting and even versions with 2 CDs.
  • Britney only has variations in tracklisting and bonus DVD, but the only cover variation there is, is for the extra obi for the Bonus DVD version
  • Circus only has variations in tracklisting and bonus DVD, and no variations in cover
  • And Glory only has variations in tracklisting
7 hours ago, HugoJean said:

Don't complain Hun if we're getting extra **** wtf :gtfo:

We don't get "extra ****", we usually get less **** than Japan! :lessons:

5 hours ago, kutayuysaler said:

the (Deluxe) signs started to get really annoying for me. Nobody needs deluxes separated for spotify :sofedup:

I don't get why they cannot just show the deluxe version.

Im starting to not understand the reasoning behind it because they are all released at the same time now. before, they'd release the regular... then the deluxe, that way you're almost forcing people to buy 2 copies. Also the thing about Glory is, I feel like the original slumber party should be on the standard, and the Tinashe "remix" should be on the Deluxe... Not really changing much but enough of a change in addition to the extra songs to warrant buying a second copy.

On 27.11.2016 at 8:27 PM, Isla. said:

Japan has always gotten exclusives because it is expensive to import albums over there so they have to give a reason for the customer to buy the expensive album. So they'll put a Japan only bonus track on there. Femme Fatale also had a Japan only bonus track (Scary)

Yeah Scary is a total banger :makesomenoise:

On 28.11.2016 at 5:23 AM, tbwb said:

Im starting to not understand the reasoning behind it because they are all released at the same time now. before, they'd release the regular... then the deluxe, that way you're almost forcing people to buy 2 copies. Also the thing about Glory is, I feel like the original slumber party should be on the standard, and the Tinashe "remix" should be on the Deluxe... Not really changing much but enough of a change in addition to the extra songs to warrant buying a second copy.

That way makes sense to make more money but releasing them together and using the same cover for both of them is nonsense

I would release the deluxe edition when the album would start flopping on the charts to rise it again (which im planning to do :unbelievableney:)

i think its more because the deluxe versions tracks don't appropriately fit into the album(despite that they are usually superior tracks s/o HOLD ON TIGHT((shoulda been a single))

) like sonically or concept wise. the DELUXE tracks are usually like more experimental and i think when reviewed its usually the standard body of work being judged.

Archived