Why Wasn't Britney On Lady Marmalade

OCBoy1985

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to what everyone else has said, it's just a song requiring really strong vocal abilities (sans Mya's verse) and barely requires dancing abilities; therefore, it just really doesn't highlight Britney's particular strengths. First I also agreed Britney could've easily done Mya's part; however, after watching the video again it's clear the entirety of Mya's role was the least significant within the song, and since Britney was the #1 pop star there's no way she would've been delegated to the most insignificant amongst four other artists. Also, I remember watching a documentary where they said Christina was specifically chosen because her voice was the only one around that could hit the climax of the song; hence, she would intrinsically be the most featured role on the song, which also wouldn't have made sense if Britney were a part of it. 

Even though the MV is quite trashy, I think it's a fantastic rendition of the song and definitely deserved the Grammy. With that said, however, everything Britney was doing at the same time was far more talked about, and I wouldn't really wish for her early eras to have been any different :soyeah: 

4 hours ago, Damon said:

So true :yesplease:

OMG I never heard this before she must have been strongly considering it seeing as tho she recorded some of the song!

xtina is always second choice huh? LOL 

5 minutes ago, Isla. said:

Britney was better than that song tbh. 

You do realize it won a Grammy and is a huge classic right?

1 hour ago, OCBoy1985 said:

None of the other girls didn't either... They all were very successful during the early 00s

True, but Xtina's career has flopped in recent years and the song is technically Lil Kim and Mya's biggest hit... Britney did better imo :verycool:

1 hour ago, Iced Tea said:

So did Toxic and it was an original that only required one artist :tiffanynod:

Girl Toxic came 3 years after Lady Marmalade... let's try and stay on topic sweetie!

18 minutes ago, Isla. said:

True, but Xtina's career has flopped in recent years and the song is technically Lil Kim and Mya's biggest hit... Britney did better imo :verycool:

Lil Kim is a Rapper who never crossed over she stayed in her lane unlike the female rappers of today!

Also Mya is R&B and never really made it to mainstream so of course it's her and Kim biggest hit .... however they had success before Pink and Xtina!

2 minutes ago, OCBoy1985 said:

Lil Kim is a Rapper who never crossed over she stayed in her lane unlike the female rappers of today!

Also Mya is R&B and never really made it to mainstream so of course it's her and Kim biggest hit .... however they had success before Pink and Xtina!

Well yes that is true tbh! ;)

19 minutes ago, Isla. said:

Well yes that is true tbh! ;)

Very few R&B artists and rappers have crossover appeal.... Beyoncé and Mariah may be the only R&B artists of today besides The Weeknd that has crossover appeal!

And back then if you wasn't Whitney, MC, Toni Braxton, TLC or Janet your music wasn't crossing over!

45 minutes ago, OCBoy1985 said:

Very few R&B artists and rappers have crossover appeal.... Beyoncé and Mariah may be the only R&B artists of today besides The Weeknd that has crossover appeal!

And back then if you wasn't Whitney, MC, Toni Braxton, TLC or Janet your music wasn't crossing over!

Yeah that is true! I'd also add Michael Jackson to this list. Maybe Rihanna as well.

22 hours ago, OCBoy1985 said:

She could have gotten a Grammy for it and having her and Xtina on the same song would have made it even more ICONIC!

However Xtina has a huge ego and I don't think she would have been able to handle Britney getting all the attention.... As we seen how she shaded Britney and Beyoncé after the 03 VMAs

What did she say about Bey?

i also think Brit was just ending Oops era and beginning Britney era. She had no time for that foolery

Archived