Why Did Circus Album Slay So Hard Sales-Wise?

Still can't believe it sold over 500,000 copies in its first week in the US :bparty: When will Bethany Jane? :yeasure:

My theory is: The American People were rooting for Britney following her breakdown, she promoted 2 songs on Good Morning America, For The Record was a great and insightful documentary, Womanizer was a big hit and got buzz for the album, the MVs during Circus era were all pretty damn good apart from Radar which was kinda dull and the Circus Tour also generated sales and interest.

Anybody else surprised she managed those impressive and amazing numbers 8 years ago? Feels like forever ago now given #B9's inevitable floppage :NYdisgust:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, grandespears94 said:

Promo, the whole 'comeback' hype, more promo, Womanizer was a #1 BB hit + **** music video (... what MM could've been :crying11:)

Plus Britney was still under Jive, which valued her like no other

I blame RCA (instead of Larry because he was there for so many successful eras)

Why did she leave Jive records? 

• 3 years later...
On 8/3/2016 at 4:47 AM, Godney'sSweetCheeks said:

Still can't believe it sold over 500,000 copies in its first week in the US :bparty: When will Bethany Jane? :yeasure:

My theory is: The American People were rooting for Britney following her breakdown, she promoted 2 songs on Good Morning America, For The Record was a great and insightful documentary, Womanizer was a big hit and got buzz for the album, the MVs during Circus era were all pretty damn good apart from Radar which was kinda dull and the Circus Tour also generated sales and interest.

Anybody else surprised she managed those impressive and amazing numbers 8 years ago? Feels like forever ago now given #B9's inevitable floppage :NYdisgust:

Not just America, the whole world was rooting for her to make a comeback. Circus sold 385k copies outside of the US (WW in total- 890k) and was the 6th best selling album of 2009, Womanizer had 72 million views in youtube and was one of the highest viewed videos at that time.

The personal life of hers settled down and we gp focused on the artistic side of hers I guess.. and she had a promo..

the buzz around her was bigger in blackout era but it was her fist #2 album cause she wasn’t seen as musician.. also I think blackout helped circus too and circus had great singles (womaniser, circus, if u seek amy) and videos.. 

Jive stopped believing in her during the Blackout era guys. She also didn't care.

Unpopular opinion... her strong sells without doing much promo during Circus is what inspired her to put even less effort into the albums that came after.

Archived